SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#330657 - 08/20/11 07:27 AM Re: Purple Rain Pa3x [Re: Scottyee]
RC Offline

Loc: Pa Usa
I am not a professional but I thought arranger keyboards were made for the purpose of programing different chords, sounds, and style changes through the sequencer. I can do this with the Technics keyboard using the control function in the sequencer. When a song is arranged it makes all of the changes at certain measures and the song is not a midi. You the person makes the song and add all of the different chords and changes. I also observed TOSTIE'S performance on the Tyros, which was very well done, I counted him making various changes 32 times while playing. If you program these changes in you can eliminate moving around all over the keyboard. This is very hard to do when you are reading music and looking for buttons.

#330658 - 08/20/11 07:47 AM Re: Purple Rain Pa3x [Re: RC]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
RC ... I agree with you ... If this guys makes his own styles, I think it might be a self made sequence as opposed to a midi file ... although I am not sure if there is a difference between a self made sequence or a self made midi file ?!? confused1 juggle

#330662 - 08/20/11 10:04 AM Re: Purple Rain Pa3x [Re: Saswick]
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
I agree with Scott, he's using a pre-recorded midi, possibly sequenced by him. At 2:20 I heard a Hammond organ type sound come out of nowhere, and this was another hint he was playing along with a midi, and not a style. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with that. Don't want to go down that 'right or wrong' road AGAIN. To each his own.

If it is style and freely available, can someone please post it, or provide a link for download?

Questions about the Chord Sequencer that was used, according to spalding
Can you really insert the chord sequencer into a midi, then have it automatically activated without playing the left hand at all, or never clicking on the CS button, as was apparent in this video? Can one then save and share this auto CS midi with other PX users? Is this freely available as a download or link?

Can the chord sequencer be activated by a foot switch?
Do you think that was possible in this video?

Just curious as to the details on how he may have used the chord sequencer.

No matter, it was a nice performance, and thanks Saswick for posting, and to spalding for his knowledge of the PAxX.

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#330663 - 08/20/11 10:25 AM Re: Purple Rain Pa3x [Re: Saswick]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Of course it was a sequence playing...in the very begining of the video ...he starts the seq player...He may be using the chord changes from his left hand for the harmony changes..as for the fills and variations...I think that is show only...

He may have sequenced this previously in arranger mode, and added the extra tracks (organ ) etc....but the performance was a sequence.......that happens to be the best way for a complete performance.. smile

#330664 - 08/20/11 10:52 AM Re: Purple Rain Pa3x [Re: lahawk]
Saswick Offline

Loc: Garstang, Preston, Lancashire,...
Hi Larry

The guy is a regular on the Korg forum and has explained some of the methods on the this link:

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=64310

There is also a very interesting discussion on looping a variation (Korg's vars are up to 32 bars long)

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=63855

As was discussed earlier about the guitar solo he is actually playing over a variation which is looping. This is explained
on the above post.

The hammond sound apears when he changes the STS and the Hammond is then the lower left hand sound. ( STS is the same as yamaha OTS )

As I posted before the style is available for download but obviously for just the Pa3x.

There is a similar style on the Pa2x which I am playing about with at moment

Kind Regards

Col

#330667 - 08/20/11 01:46 PM Re: Purple Rain Pa3x [Re: Saswick]
spalding1968 Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
these atre all techniques that have existed and been used on arranger keyboards going back to the 'i' series. But if you dont hold onto your keyboard to get under the hood and swap it out for the next one , you wont even realise what these instruments are capable of.

For example i use the STS to drop in and out sounds in the arranger without using the slider for speed so at the press of a button i can have a hammaond playing in th accompaniment or strings and then strip the sound out . These are all tricks you learn to apply to arranger playing when you hold onto your instrument . Thats why i have taken a 'Diki' like stance in terms of his relationship with the G70. Until an arranger comes up with new features that i might actually use and has at least 80% different sounds and styles that i would actuially use , then i am not changing from my PA1X. If i want a new style , i programme one. If i want chord sequencer features i programme it into a style on say the 4th variation .

These are the technigues the style programmer for purple rain uses. I am very familiar with his work.

#330670 - 08/20/11 06:49 PM Re: Purple Rain Pa3x [Re: lahawk]
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Guys,
sorry, you are WRONG, it's a style. He was kind enough to share it.
At last , someone to showcase what can be done with a Korg style.
I know what can be done, but I haven't got the musical ability to record. haahaa.

Variations 1 to 3 are regular arranger chord tracks, where you play your own chord progression. He's also included guitar mode track & modified drum kits.
Variation 4 , he's recorded like an intro, with the chord progression built in. 32 bars long. Brilliant. Again , he's used Guitar Mode to record the guitar track.
I doubt the chord Sequencer was used. No need.
In theory, one could have a different chord progression, for each one of the 6 cv's that makes up a variation . Each cv ( chord variation) could be triggered by hitting a different chord type ( maj/min/7th etc)
I did something similar as an example for one of the korg members. The owner had a PA800 & wanted a chord progression in a style part, so they could practice playing over the top of it.
PA800 doesn't have chord sequencer. I basically recorded one of the variations ( in sequencer quick record mode ) with the chord progression of Begin the Beguine. Saved it as a midifile, imported it into the korg style maker as variation 1.
Variation 1 cv 1 now plays the first 16 bars of chord sequence of Begin Bequine, the rest of the variations play normal arranger mode.
If I wanted to record the next 16 bars, based on a different chord sequence , even, a different variation, provide the instruments were the same, I could do the same thing again, and save it to variation 1 cv2 and I'd still have the other 3 variations in regular chord mode.
Vari cv1 gets triggered by Maj chord, cv2 gets triggered by Min chord. Chord type is irrelavent in this instant.
Basically it's handy for doing a solo for a song specific style.

[quote=lahawk]

Questions about the Chord Sequencer that was used, according to spalding
Can you really insert the chord sequencer into a midi, then have it automatically activated without playing the left hand at all, or never clicking on the CS button, as was apparent in this video? Can one then save and share this auto CS midi with other PX users? Is this freely available as a download or link?

Can the chord sequencer be activated by a foot switch?
Do you think that was possible in this video?

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#330672 - 08/20/11 07:26 PM Re: Purple Rain Pa3x [Re: rikkisbears]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Nice Rikki, well put. Give me a little more time on my Ps800 and I will come over for some lessons. (Smile)

Hey, you’re good.

John C.

#330673 - 08/20/11 07:56 PM Re: Purple Rain Pa3x [Re: rikkisbears]
dralion Offline

Originally Posted By: rikkisbears
Hi Guys,

Variation 4 , he's recorded like an intro, with the chord progression built in.

I think this can also be done on a Tyros.

#330674 - 08/20/11 08:15 PM Re: Purple Rain Pa3x [Re: Saswick]
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Hi Rikki,

Many thanks for the detailed explanation on how Salvatore created that custom style with variation 4 including a chord progression built in cool , which allowed him to fully dedicate his performance to that impressive guitar solo, and to freely & so expressively operate the PB/Mod stick. This would not have been possible to do in regular style variation mode.

Earlier today, I spoke on the telephone with Sz buddy Manuel Dorantes (both a Korg & Yamaha style programming professional), and not only did he explain the same thing to me as Riki just did, but he also informed me that this same type of style variation with a 'built in chord progression' can be accomplished on Yamaha arrangers too.
He even sent me a custom Yamaha style to showcase it. I was pretty blown away! dance2
This is an exciting revelation because until now, I've always felt frustrated when performing solos in 'auto accomp' mode, when attempting to emulate instruments that so heavily rely on the pitch/mod wheel. Manuel says he will spend some time with me on Skype next week to explain in more detail how to create a built in chord progression style variation on the Yamaha Tyros 4, so if I'm smart enough to absorb it, I'll of share what I learn here.

In the meantime, a great big kudos to Salvatore for posting his outstanding PA3X keyboard 'auto accomp mode' rendition of Purple Rain. clap
I'm also impressed with the live sounding presence of the PA3X drums and VH. cool

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online