Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#330675 - 08/20/11 08:17 PM Re: Purple Rain Pa3x [Re: bruno123]
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi John,
thank you.
Well, if you ever need help to put a variation with a chord sequence for a song specific style, ( how's that for a mouthful)
let me know. haa haa
I've done an awful lot of experimentation on what can & can't be done, pages of it. Gee, I can talk. haahaa

Actually, something I've been wanting to put together for a while is a medley, don't know if you realize you can have different tempo's & time signatures in each of the style parts, suit a medley style perfectly.

Originally Posted By: bruno123
Nice Rikki, well put. Give me a little more time on my Ps800 and I will come over for some lessons. (Smile)

Hey, you’re good.

John C.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#330678 - 08/20/11 09:03 PM Re: Purple Rain Pa3x [Re: Scottyee]
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Scott,
that's great. I must admit I've never tried it in my psr 1500, but I have done it in One Man Band arranger software (uses psr styles).
It's literally to do with the ntt settings. Intro's have chord progressions, so the ntt setting for ( non drum tracks) is Melody.
I assume you'd just do the same for a variation with a chord progression set ntt to melody instead of chord.

If it was me, I'd be inclined to record your progression variation as a midifile. Turn it into it's own style . One of Michael Beddersoms programs Or Jorgens programs may be able to turn it into a style for you. I used to use One Man Band as a style editor. Then use the assembly function to copy the variation into the original style & save as user style.

The less of the style that is exposed to the editor , the better, just in case they alter settings or something.
Manual will be able to advise you on that one.

It's certainly not as straight forward to do as it is in the korg ( korg can load midifile directly back into the style part) but if it's useful to you, it's worth persisting with.

With the korg I could also use one of the fills for this. The korg fills can be 32 bars long also if they're tapped twice , they'll keep looping like a variation.

Anyway, if I can be of any help, let me know. I still have my little psr1500 sitting on the sidelines. It's been a few years since I dabbled with yammie styles . I still sometimes use One Man Band for my psr to korg conversions, so I'm fairly familiar with the style structure.

Originally Posted By: Scottyee
Hi Rikki,

Many thanks for the detailed explanation on how Salvatore created that custom style with variation 4 including a chord progression built in cool , which allowed him to fully dedicate his performance to that impressive guitar solo, and to freely & so expressively operate the PB/Mod stick. This would not have been possible to do in regular style variation mode.

Earlier today, I spoke on the telephone with Sz buddy Manuel Dorantes (both a Korg & Yamaha style programming professional), and not only did he explain the same thing to me as Riki just did, but he also informed me that this same type of style variation with a 'built in chord progression' can be accomplished on Yamaha arrangers too. He even sent me a custom Yamaha style to prove it. I was blown away!
This is an exciting revelation because until now, I've always felt frustrated when performing solos in 'auto accomp' mode, when attempting to emulate instruments that so heavily rely on the pitch/mod wheel. Manuel is going to spend some time with me on Skype next week to explain in more detail how to create built in chord progression style variations on the Yamaha Tyros 4, so if I'm smart enough to absorb it, I'll of course share the information here.

In the meantime, a great big kudos to Salvatore for posting his outstanding PA3X keyboard 'auto accomp mode' rendition of Purple Rain. clap
I'm also impressed with the live sounding presence of the PA3X drums and VH. cool

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#330679 - 08/20/11 10:57 PM Re: Purple Rain Pa3x [Re: Scottyee]
Saswick Offline

Loc: Garstang, Preston, Lancashire,...
Hi Guys

I posted this link on the Korg Forum FAO Stalion (Sal) this is his reply:

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=416057#416057

Regards

Col

#330681 - 08/21/11 12:19 AM Re: Purple Rain Pa3x [Re: rikkisbears]
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Scott
sorry, setting in Yamaha is "Bypass" not Melody. Melody in Yamaha is a different setting to Melody in Korg.

Just tried something bit bizzare with one of my psr 1500 styles. May or may not work with more sophisticated styles, but did work with mine.

Got my psr style ( bequine.prs ) renamed the .prs extension to .mid. In short turned it into a midifile. Recorded a quick 7 bar song ( supposed to be 8, I can't count ) with chord progression based on vari 1.

Loaded my midifile progression into my sequencer, removed the header bar ( program changes etc) & copied it/or saved it, depending on sequencer.

Loaded bequine style ( midifile) into my sequencer. ( old XG Works program) I deleted all the data beyond the first bar leaving only the header ( ie program changes etc.) Next I removed all the data past the marker for vari 1.
I load ( copied) in chord progression variation . Pressed "SAVE" not "save as"
Went back to where my original Bequine stlye, currently called Bequine.mid is saved use the "ORGANIZE" "UNDO" function, turned it back into Bequine.prs file.
I now have a style, with only my chord progression variation I can use the ASSEMBLY function to copy vari 1 into an original version of the style, change NTT setting & save it as a user style..

First came across this strange anomaly a few years ago, but had forgotten about it, ie the rename function, always aware I could turn earlier psr styles into .mid files, but not that they could be turned back. Probably not perfectly, but maybe good enough for this exercise.

Could also copy the chord progression into a full style, by removing one of the variations, but a bit more complex

[quote=rikkisbears]
It's literally to do with the ntt settings. Intro's have chord progressions, so the ntt setting for ( non drum tracks) is Melody.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#330682 - 08/21/11 12:27 AM Re: Purple Rain Pa3x [Re: Saswick]
spalding1968 Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
this is great. Its exactly what the synthzone is supposed to be doing !! Helping each other discover and utilize new ways of making music.

#330685 - 08/21/11 02:20 AM Re: Purple Rain Pa3x [Re: spalding1968]
Saswick Offline

Loc: Garstang, Preston, Lancashire,...
Hear! Hear! certainly beats all the negative posts.

Col

#330707 - 08/21/11 05:59 PM Re: Purple Rain Pa3x [Re: spalding1968]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Originally Posted By: spalding1968
this is great. Its exactly what the synthzone is supposed to be doing !! Helping each other discover and utilize new ways of making music.

Right on, Spalding!This is how a forum should work.

I think making the tyros do chord progression in part of the style is very doable...haven't really tried it in depth, but the capability is there...Rikki's idea is great...I think using a midi file (made using that particular style) as the basis, changing the extension to "sty", and then using parts of it in the original style, would be the way to go about it.

I just got back from Newfoundland, so I'll give it a try once I'm settled in again.

Ian

#330714 - 08/22/11 01:24 AM Re: Purple Rain Pa3x [Re: rikkisbears]
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Guys,
came up with better solution.

Once you get hang of it, only takes a few minutes.
1.Choose style. Press Copy. Choose USB Stick. Press Save.
2.Record chord progression in sequencer & save to usb stick.
3.In PC use Rename function to change .sty or .prs etc etxension to .mid ( ie beguine.prs to beguine.mid) This turns it into midifile.

Depending on how your pc sequencer functions you basically have to merge these 2 files ( beguine .mid & chord progression .mid) into a single midi file.
I use the old XG Works program, since it doesn't have a merge function, this is the way I do it.

Load chord progression sequence in sequencer, DELETE TRACK 1. Select all the tracks & use Copy function.

Next load in Bequine midifile, don't do any saves etc , the chord progression will be overwritten by the midifile tracks, but don't worry.

Next delete all the tracks except for track 1 . midi channel 1.

Use the Paste Function & your chord progression track will reapear.

Next bring up your Markers track ( Master Track in XG Works)

Delete any Markers & Data below Marker 1 ( Main A : fn main A ) in psr1500 styles)

Press "SAVE" not save as.

Hilight Beguine .mid & press UNDO function ( found under ORGANIZE in Win7)
It turns back into beguine.prs

Load Style in yammie.
Goto PARAMETER
Change Bass Ntt to Bypass
Do same for rest of instruments ( except drums) Save

Choose the original style.

Press Digital Record.
Style Creator
BASIC. Choose main a
Change Pattern Length to suit Chord Progression Variation. Press Execute.
TAB to Assembly.
Choose Section
Double Click Rythm 1
Choose Style to copy from ( USB :Beguine:Main A Rythm 1
Do Same for all the rest of the instruments.
Save.

Good Luck

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#330718 - 08/22/11 05:43 AM Re: Purple Rain Pa3x [Re: Saswick]
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
Wow Rikki, thanks for this awesome info. It must have been a lot of trial and error, and we appreciate your hard work.

Is this for the Korg or Yamaha, or both?

The only problem is the old XG Works program which (a) is no longer available and (b) is not compatible with WIN7. Is anyone aware of another program that can achieve what Rikki just described?

Rikki should charge for all these valuable tips and instructions.

Good Stuff

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#330721 - 08/22/11 07:01 AM Re: Purple Rain Pa3x [Re: Saswick]
Booby Offline

Hi,

the Korg arrangers (the one I know, don't know for other brands) are very flexible and any style element has the same parameter set (this back to earlier Pa80 times).

This means that if I can put a chord progression in the intro 1 (as we know being possible) this can be possible in any other place (say any Intro, any Fill/Break, any Var, any Ending).
The only difference available is between Vars (having max 6 chord variations) and the other style elements (having max 2 cv).
For the given case the NTT Table to be used is "No Transpose", that's it.

I used chord progression in variations several times (especially for song styles) and this looks very similar to the "Riff" feature available in Ketron (even if I don't how pratically this it is done in this arranger).

Actually with the "Chord Sequencer", something I was really looking at to free-up my left hand for improvvisations, I think will need less this, even if probably sometimes could be more practical (it depends).

I'm not usually discussing that much here but, as said by others, this thread looks very interesting so keep going on.

Hope this help. Cheers.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online