SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#330901 - 08/26/11 08:41 AM Re: Bought a new practice amp; small PA [Re: btweengigs]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
I use my little CM-30's every week. Have to check this little guy out. May be useful for my day business, also.

Russ

#330945 - 08/26/11 04:23 PM Re: Bought a new practice amp; small PA [Re: cassp]
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Eddie, after my last post I sat and thought how one CM30 would have sounded and I can't imagine it sounding as well-rounded as the PW50. I always felt the CM30 were a little on the raw, edgy side. The PW50 is more crisp than bassy, but I was able too take the raw highs out without murdering the mix. Lows are not as punchy as the CM30, but you can hear the bass clearly, pleasantly. Would two PW50's handle 100 people? Definitey. I don't have any experience with the L1 sub other than hearing it, and I feel it would be a good partner with a PW50. I would use my EV SX120b sub with the PW50 and feel confident I could do all my NH jobs with plenty of room to spare. For the job I did today I coould have easily used the PW50 alone instead of my Compact; 15 people. smile

#330998 - 08/28/11 10:45 AM Re: Bought a new practice amp; small PA [Re: cassp]
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Thanks Cass. I sprung for one and if I really like it, will get a second. However, there have been a few glitches with the eRetailer I ordered it from. Price was good. Service so far, not so much.
Eddie

#331015 - 08/29/11 08:24 AM Re: Bought a new practice amp; small PA [Re: cassp]
cassp Offline

I bought mine from my local good guy, Mike Carey Music in Wyandotte, MI. I know he does eBay sales but never dealt with him that way. His phone number is 734-283-4550. He's alsoo on Facebook (Mike Carey Music) Tell him Cass sent you...

Edited by cassp (08/29/11 08:24 AM)

#331026 - 08/29/11 09:50 AM Re: Bought a new practice amp; small PA [Re: btweengigs]
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Originally Posted By: btweengigs
I sprung for one and if I really like it, will get a second.
Let me know if you do decide on getting two as I'm especially interested to find out how it sounds in stereo,
especially with a Yamaha PSR/Tyros 4 keyboard.
What's the size of the PW-50's woofer?
Will two PW-50's together deliver sufficient bottom end for arranger keyboard auto accompaniment mode performance for a small intimate venue?
Thanks. smile

#331276 - 09/05/11 03:52 PM Re: Bought a new practice amp; small PA [Re: Scottyee]
btweengigs Offline

Update: This little 14.5 lb gem contains two 4 1/2" speakers and a 2 1/2" tweeter. It certainly is not going to replace a Bose Compact, but for those 1hr shows in front of up to 40 ppl in close proximity, it is ideal. I intend to get a second one and link them together for such shows. I am thinking that two linked together will add some bottom and a stereo pattern, which so many here look for.

As for the larger jobs using a Bose Classic L1, the PW50 is an excellent monitor and has, for the time being, replaced a 50 lb. Roland KC350 I was using. (I know...that's kind of like an apples and oranges comparison...but the KC 350 was overkill for the 1hr NH gigs and not totally necessary for most of my larger jobs.)

The etailer I purchased it from had problems with the order resulting in delivery delay and double billing, which I do not believe was intentional. Even so, I will purchase my next PW50 somewhere else.

Thanks to Cass for the heads up

Eddie

#331748 - 09/20/11 01:50 PM Re: Bought a new practice amp; small PA [Re: cassp]
cassp Offline

I was noodling on my DisCover5 (for sale) last night and decided to see if I could cause some distortion on my PW50. I raised the volume levels on the keyboard, the PW50 keyboard channel and master volume to full - no distortion, but it was as loud as hell. I can't say I would ever want to perform like that, but I was very pleased to know that it could be done. Yea!

I originally bought this amp for home use, but now I'm tempted to buy a second. No reason other than I think a pair of these would be sweet; versatile, powerful and handy. Yeah, a pair of PW50s sounds like a possibility... smile

I am blown away to think of the big, heavy equipment I/we were using just 10-15 years ago. Today's equipment is so much smaller, lighter and more efficient. It's simply amazing. I can actually forsee someone (maybe even me) doing a small gig with a micro arranger and a mini PA/amp.

#331762 - 09/21/11 04:01 AM Re: Bought a new practice amp; small PA [Re: cassp]
btweengigs Offline

No doubt about it. The PW50 is a great little speaker. I used two at a NH last week and they were more than ample in volume and clarity.
Eddie

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online