SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#33025 - 10/16/03 08:02 PM Instructions to install Flash chip in XD3
sconner Offline

Loc: Salem, Oregon USA
A couple of months ago I purchased the pattern memory chip. Have not installed it yet. Just bought the new flash card/chip of new sounds for XD3 also. MY QUESTION: are there any instructions for the installation of these items? I've put memory, chips, cards, components, etc. in lots of computers, so am aware of static problems, etc.----Is it rather obvious where these two items slip into and the position?

If someone has installed anything or monkeyed (??) around inside the XD3/9, please give me a hand.

Thanks much in advance for the dozens of prompt, clear, precise and detailed replies to this.

Good forum, I enjoy reading the posts and many are very helpful.
sconner

------------------

#33026 - 10/20/03 09:42 AM Re: Instructions to install Flash chip in XD3
DanO1 Offline

Loc: Maryland
sconner,

When you purchase the card, and open the keyboard, you'll find out that there is only ONE place the card can be fitted into (the circuit board top-right corner to which the outputs are connected to). It can only be fitted one way too ... so don't worry!!

Keep me updated.

Thanks

Dan

#33027 - 10/20/03 11:16 PM Re: Instructions to install Flash chip in XD3
sconner Offline

Thanks, Dan. I'll let you know of my experience with this.
sconner

#33028 - 10/22/03 08:15 AM Re: Instructions to install Flash chip in XD3
KFingers Offline

Loc: Brighton - UK
Hey Dan - Can you fit the pattern expansion and the Extra sounds into the XD3? - The supplier here in the UK is not sure (Because he doesn't actually stock them) and he is checking with Italy (He tells me). Although its been a couple of weeks now.

I have built PCs and fitted many cards so I dont mind buying from you and fitting myself if you ship to the UK.

Fingers crossed here.

KF

#33029 - 10/23/03 06:38 AM Re: Instructions to install Flash chip in XD3
KFingers Offline

Dan/AJ/SConner

The UK Distributor of Ketron products (BCK Ltd) tells me that the FRAM pattern upgrade cannot be fitted into the XD3 yet the Ketron Website advertises pattern memory as an upgrade.

Can any of you guys shed any light on this please?

Ta - Keith

#33030 - 10/23/03 11:47 AM Re: Instructions to install Flash chip in XD3
DanO1 Offline

Loc: Maryland
KFingers

I jus confirmed this with AJ (one of the Ketron Engineers here in the US) that the Flash RAM pattern and Flash RAM voice chips can both be fitted into the XD3.

Thanks,

Dan

#33031 - 10/24/03 06:09 AM Re: Instructions to install Flash chip in XD3
KFingers Offline

Thanks for the swift reply Dan - Much appreciated.

Keith

#33032 - 10/28/03 06:46 AM Re: Instructions to install Flash chip in XD3
KFingers Offline

SConner - The installation of the Orch Flash ROM is very srtaight forward.

Simply remove the 6 screws from underneath the unit (3 on each side) and the smaller ones from along the front edge and the top of the unit will separate from the lower part. when apart lift the front edge right up as the two halves are still connected by ribbon cables for the panel buttons and the display.

In front of you there are two circuit boards. The one on the right is the sound generating board and you will see two empty connector strips on this board that the orch expansion card fits onto. The connectors are different lengths so it is impossible to install the card chip the wrong way round

You can't go far wrong as there are only two empty slots in the unit - The other one is for the FRAM pattern expansion card and is on the main circuit board which is to the left of the sound generator board.

Of course, like when handling any sensitive electronic components take care and ensure you are grounded (earthed) when you carry out the above.

After you have installed the hardware you then have to install the software which comes on 9 diskettes. First put in the program disk, press the DISK button and select the "ORCH" option followed by load.
You will then be asked to insert each of the other disks - make sure you enter these in turn - It tells you which number disk it wants each time. You will see the sound blocks being loaded into flash RAM from each disk. When all disks are loaded the machine re-sets itself and installation is conplete

You will find that you now have additional voices - You will find these on the SECOND page of your USER VOICES and are shown in lower case. There are various additions on each group except the CHROM group. You will also find that many of your PROGRAMS have changed so you may wish to save off the original PROGRAMS to disk. The new PROGRAMS have a "!" at the beginning of their name. For example, the first piano PROGRAM is now called !GRANDPIANO instead of GRANDPIANO and is now made up by combining the (new) stereo Left and Right Grand Piano sample waveforms.

As you can see from the above DAN and AJ are correct about being able to also fit the FRAM card and I now have one on order.

There are several new voices and I am very pleased with the upgrade. When you consider what has been squeezed into 8MBytes. There are Acoustic and Electric pianos, Brass, Reeds, Strings, Accordions, Guitars, Organs, Pad, Synth and Ethnic voices. Although there are no additional Bass voices there are a couple of vocal effects on page 2 of the bass user voices.

Hurry up and fit your upgrade, you will love many of the new sounds. I especially like the new B3jazz which is the classic 16ft and 1ft drawbard sampled with fast Leslie. This compliments all the other great tonewheel sounds. There is also a new dirty grungy organ voice to play or mix with the others.

Regards - Keith

#33033 - 10/28/03 06:24 PM Re: Instructions to install Flash chip in XD3
sconner Offline

Hey, Keith, thanks so much for the long detailed instructions. Very, very helpful. As you said, it is (after reading your directions)very obvious where the two chips go. Just received my voice chip today and am installing it and the pattern ram chip right now. Also using a grounding device attached to my wrist that goes directly to earth ground........can't wait to hear some of the voices.
Take care and thanks again.
sam

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry, Ketron_AJ, Tonewheeldude 

Help keep Synth Zone Online