SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#328806 - 07/14/11 03:08 PM Can't believe I missed his passing....Herb Ellis.
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
I can't believe that I missed the passing of Herb Ellis, a jazz guitar giant and an influential part of my musical life.
He passed on March 28th, 2010.

First time I met him, I was 16 and nervous as hell practicing for an appearance by Oscar Brown Jr. on the syndicated Steve Allen show.

Herb stopped near me as said, "what you doin', boy?"

I told him I was practicing.

"What the hell for?", he smirked, and just walked on past.

Fast forward to 2008. There was a scratchy old voice on the phone. The caller said, "I'll tell you one damn thing. I'll bet you haven't even learned to tune that POS guitar of yours".

"How are you, Herb?", I replied. I could tell at the time he had some impairment (he died of Alzheimer's disease).

Crusty, but rock solid and, along with with gentle Ray Brown, his collaborator (think the Oscar Peterson Trio), main influences in my musical and personal life.

So sorry I missed his passing.

Russ

#328809 - 07/14/11 03:53 PM Re: Can't believe I missed his passing....Herb Ellis. [Re: captain Russ]
Scott Langholff Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
I remember Herb on a PBS interview years ago. The question was asked about natural talent, he said you can buy talent in a book called Psycho Cybernetics by Dr Maxwell Maltz. Self image psychology. The idea of what we can or can't do is only limited by our own self image. There is at least one story of a famous concert pianist who didn't like to practice and didn't. He finished playing brilliantly at a concert and was asked how he could play so well without ever practicing. He told them he practiced in his head. Food for thought cool

#328840 - 07/15/11 08:12 AM Re: Can't believe I missed his passing....Herb Ellis. [Re: captain Russ]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Russ,
I'm a music teacher now ... I'll be happy to teach you how to tune your guitars. I doubt that we have time to service your entire ARSENAL, but we'll get started slow ... maybe just 10 or 20 of the L5s first!
smile

#328844 - 07/15/11 09:23 AM Re: Can't believe I missed his passing....Herb Ellis. [Re: captain Russ]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Russ, you and I have talked several times in the past about your long-time relationship with Herb Ellis, a 'household name' in the jazz world. I, too, wasn't aware of his passing although I did know about his illness. I'm sorry to hear of his passing and for your personal loss and the loss to the music world. Like so many others like him, because of our preference for the 'sizzle' rather than the steak, he never got the recognition (or respect) he deserved.

chas

#329025 - 07/17/11 11:37 PM Re: Can't believe I missed his passing....Herb Ellis. [Re: captain Russ]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
That is so very sad. When I was young I particularly liked his collaborative work with Barney Kessel.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online