SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#328243 - 07/07/11 04:41 AM Playing Arranger With A Band
Bernie9 Online   content

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
I have been asked by our band director to fill in for her next week. In the summer, we are down to 6-8 members including a drummer that used to play in big bands and no bass player.

Naturally, I leave the arranger rhythm off and play whatever instruments needed. However, she suggested that I play like I would in soloing, and let the band follow me.

The drummer is delighted with the idea but am leery of the rest of the band keeping in time. If I keep it in var A, maybe.

Have any of you tried this ?

#328244 - 07/07/11 05:02 AM Re: Playing Arranger With A Band [Re: Bernie9]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
I do it all the time. The drummer needs a good monitor and has to tread lightly on his bass drum. The machine is boss - no exceptions in this case, so if they can't follow - they should lay out or play very quietly. Some people can't play in strict time, and they get huffy when they have to try .... Just tell all your band mates that they need to take new roles as supportive players, and solo where they can, but blend with the ryhthms. If they all listen to the machine, it will sound great. We do it with a 10 piece band sometimes.
It's all about listening and following.

#328245 - 07/07/11 06:25 AM Re: Playing Arranger With A Band [Re: Uncle Dave]
Tony Hughes Offline

Originally Posted By: Uncle Dave
I do it all the time. The drummer needs a good monitor and has to tread lightly on his bass drum. The machine is boss - no exceptions in this case, so if they can't follow - they should lay out or play very quietly. Some people can't play in strict time, and they get huffy when they have to try .... Just tell all your band mates that they need to take new roles as supportive players, and solo where they can, but blend with the ryhthms. If they all listen to the machine, it will sound great. We do it with a 10 piece band sometimes.
It's all about listening and following.

Uncle Dave,

Easy peezy lemon squeezy:

You make it sound so easy I wish you were my uncle, I would look up to you, since I am only 5ft4".

How did your 4th July bash go, you didn't respond to my blessing to you all did you.

Too busy getting busy and drunk, hey?

Cheers Dave

Tyros 4/Pair SR 350/ PC with a i8 intel chip, XENYX 802, Ford Focus 2 litre/Tascam DR07/Brother printer/Designjet 500/ our Doris/5 Grandchildren/ white boxers short Kymart shipped over and Typhoo Tea Earl Grey

#328250 - 07/07/11 08:23 AM Re: Playing Arranger With A Band [Re: Bernie9]
Bernie9 Online   content

Thanks UD
Very good advice.

Bernie

#328251 - 07/07/11 08:27 AM Re: Playing Arranger With A Band [Re: Uncle Dave]
Bachus Offline

Quote:
Some people can't play in strict time, and they get huffy when they have to try ....

Then they better quit making music with other people....

http://keyszone.boards.net

#328255 - 07/07/11 10:12 AM Re: Playing Arranger With A Band [Re: Bernie9]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Another suggestion that works great for me: ask the drummer if he or she wouldn't mind playing percussion intruments (congas,bongos, shakers....) or drum set with brushes/muti rod sticks. This will add nice color and the timing challenges will not be such a huge issue.

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#328258 - 07/07/11 10:28 AM Re: Playing Arranger With A Band [Re: Bernie9]
Gord Offline

Loc: Kelowna,British Columbia,Canad...
Have the drummer use one ear bud-to listen to the arranger-if he has the correct volume in his 'one ear monitor' he should be able to play along in time with the arranger & the other members should be able to follow the arranger if they have a good monitor-its something you have to experiment with.

Gord

#328261 - 07/07/11 11:37 AM Re: Playing Arranger With A Band [Re: Bernie9]
Bernie9 Online   content

In my set up I am using my Bose as the only amplifier, which I will place close to the drummer. The others are just the other side of him. I suppose I could get out in front if visual queues became necessary. Both horn players are in their eighties with hearing aids.

I like the idea of the drummer using alternate percussive instruments where my style drums are better. I have turned off the drums and left on the bass, but can vary it.

I will try it out on them Monday, the week before, to make sure the old farts can hear me.

Bernie

#328262 - 07/07/11 11:58 AM Re: Playing Arranger With A Band [Re: Bernie9]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
If the drummer is worth his salt, he'll recognize that percussion playing is no less of an art form than drum set playing. There is a reason why cats like Luis Conte are played thousands of dollars an hour to lay down shaker, maracas, tamborine, cowbell, and other "small/minor" percussion parts.

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#328263 - 07/07/11 12:22 PM Re: Playing Arranger With A Band [Re: Bernie9]
Bernie9 Online   content

He is a great guy and a team player. No problem with him

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online