SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#329648 - 07/28/11 10:51 AM Re: Playing Arranger With A Band [Re: Bernie9]
Bernie9 Online   content

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
I thought I would report back on my use of arranger styles with my band.

The first and second time I used my G-70 and they were getting on to it pretty well. The third time I brought my Audya and it made all the difference in the world. The styles with life drums, bass, and guitars really cut through without being in any way obtrusive.

I had many favorable comments.

Bernie

#329656 - 07/28/11 12:41 PM Re: Playing Arranger With A Band [Re: Bernie9]
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Originally Posted By: Bernie9
I brought my Audya and it made all the difference in the world. The styles with life drums, bass, and guitars really cut through without being in any way obtrusive.I had many favorable comments.

Hi Bernie, great to read that. cool
What instruments (in addition to the Audya played by you) were played by the other band members?
Did you record any of your Audya and/or G70 sessions performed with your live band?
It would be nice to be able to see and/or hear that.

Scott smile

#329657 - 07/28/11 12:49 PM Re: Playing Arranger With A Band [Re: Bernie9]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Originally Posted By: Bernie9
I thought I would report back on my use of arranger styles with my band.

The first and second time I used my G-70 and they were getting on to it pretty well. The third time I brought my Audya and it made all the difference in the world. The styles with life drums, bass, and guitars really cut through without being in any way obtrusive.

I had many favorable comments.

Bernie

I suspect your band-mates are pretty good players, Bernie, as not everyone can play along with the strict time of an arranger.

Glad to hear it worked out for you, especially with the Audya.

I sometimes play with another person; he plays guitar and is hip to the arranger strictness.

Actually, when the extra players get used to it, they start playing "off the beat" a little, because they always know when the next one is coming.

That really gives it a nice loose and "live" feel.

Ian

#329659 - 07/28/11 01:45 PM Re: Playing Arranger With A Band [Re: Bernie9]
Bernie9 Online   content

Scott

In the summer, we are down to:
2 sax
1 clar
2 trump
1 drummer
1 guitar
1 trom (occasionally)

I am afraid no recording

Ian

I know what you mean. At first, they were just getting used to it. At the last session, they started to take some liberties with the time and a couple of times they went off. I had to come in louder and staighten them out. Towards the end they played a couple of riffs and came right back.

The first thing I had to do is make sure I gave a solid intro they could hear and keep the groove loud enough, but not overpowering.

It is tricky, but a lot of fun.

Bernie

#329738 - 07/29/11 03:24 PM Re: Playing Arranger With A Band [Re: Bernie9]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Bernie, I played with a drummer, a sax man and a trombone player, it was a disaster. The suggestion of the drummer playing percussion instruments adding to your drums is best. Who needs two drummers?

I found playing with a bass player comfortable. A percussionist is fine, a solo instrument works well and so does a bass if that’s a must.

People/musicians do not listen to a keyboard as they would listen to a band – and try to fit in. In Dave’s case, he must have a good sensitive drummer. Amen!

John C.

#329772 - 07/30/11 04:27 AM Re: Playing Arranger With A Band [Re: bruno123]
Bernie9 Online   content

Hi John

In response, I have heard a few double kicks and cautioned the drummer to lay off the kick. My role as leader is only temorary while the director is out, so I can't fire the drummer. You are right, but I can't very well hand him a Kazoo.

As far as keyboard not being listened to, I play the dominant role with different instruments. I am holding the whole thing together.

If I was doing this on a regular basis ony a few would be with me, and would handle it differently.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online