SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#328177 - 07/06/11 03:03 AM have arranget prices really gone up?
rolandfan Offline

Loc: South Africa
I was browsing the net and discovered that
A new roland e30 keyboard back in 1990 cost
$3200. Today u can get a tyros 4 for almost that.
so 21 years on things are still reasonable aren't
They?

#328178 - 07/06/11 03:30 AM Re: have arranget prices really gone up? [Re: rolandfan]
Tony Hughes Offline

Yes you are right it is to do with the price of mircochips and memory, they have come down, look at the price of Pcs they have done the same, its sofware that cost the money. Good KB are still not cheap! The most expensive bit of kit an a KB will be the touch screen is it as one.

Tony
Tyros 4/Pair SR 350/ PC with a i8 intel chip, XENYX 802, Ford Focus 2 litre/Tascam DR07/Brother printer/Designjet 500/ our Doris/5 Grandchildren/ white boxers short Kymart shipped over and Typhoo Tea Earl Grey

#328184 - 07/06/11 04:38 AM Re: have arranget prices really gone up? [Re: rolandfan]
124 Offline

Good point, rolandfan. In my day job in 1990 I was earning somewhere between a half to two thirds of what I finished up with when I retired in 2008, so yeah, keyboards are a good deal today when you look at them in that light.

#328188 - 07/06/11 05:45 AM Re: have arranget prices really gone up? [Re: rolandfan]
FransN Offline

Loc: Netherlands
Originally Posted By: rolandfan
I was browsing the net and discovered that
A new roland e30 keyboard back in 1990 cost
$3200. Today u can get a tyros 4 for almost that.
so 21 years on things are still reasonable aren't
They?

Not true here in the Netherlands. Years ago I bought the Yamaha psr 6700 for about 5000 Gulden that's about 2500 Euro. Now Yamaha's top model cost almost 4000 Euro that's almost 8500 Gulden. A totally rip off.

Edited by FransN (07/06/11 05:46 AM)

#328192 - 07/06/11 06:01 AM Re: have arranget prices really gone up? [Re: rolandfan]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I guess the U.S. consumers are the biggest benefactors. Nearly 20 years ago a PSR-5700 sold for about $1,500 and the list price was over $2,000. I cannot recall the cost of a gallon of gasoline back then, but it was under $1. In terms of todays dollar, the cost of a T4 is lower than the cost of the PSR-5700, and it does much, much more.

Cheers,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#328193 - 07/06/11 06:15 AM Re: have arranger prices really gone up? [Re: rolandfan]
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
Actually you would think, by now, keyboards would have gone DOWN, and down a lot. They have not. Every other electronic product that uses microchips, memory, and other such components have seen the cost to the consumer drop dramatically. The reduced costs for these products did not come with reduced features, rather they were made with more faster and more reliable components...better than ever.

Compare the reduced cost of Flat Screen TV's, computers, cell phones, etc. back then to now, and compare it to the increased cost difference with electronic keyboards, and one has to wonder why, IMO they are so overpriced.

$4500 for a keyboard? This isn't a new invention folks, and thus should not be priced like it's new technology.

So to answer your question, based on electronic chips, memory, and components being really cheap compared to 1990... YES, Arranger Prices have really gone up.

BTW...please direct me to the $3200 T-4. confused

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#328195 - 07/06/11 06:37 AM Re: have arranger prices really gone up? [Re: lahawk]
FransN Offline

Loc: Netherlands
Originally Posted By: lahawk
Actually you would think, by now, keyboards would have gone DOWN, and down a lot. They have not. Every other electronic product that uses microchips, memory, and other such components have seen the cost to the consumer drop dramatically. The reduced costs for these products did not come with reduced features, rather they were made with more faster and more reliable components...better than ever.

Compare the reduced cost of Flat Screen TV's, computers, cell phones, etc. back then to now, and compare it to the increased cost difference with electronic keyboards, and one has to wonder why, IMO they are so overpriced.

$4500 for a keyboard? This isn't a new invention folks, and thus should not be priced like it's new technology.

So to answer your question, based on electronic chips, memory, and components being really cheap compared to 1990... YES, Arranger Prices have really gone up.

I totally agree with you. Look how cheap new computers cost these days compared with 10 years ago. I think a reasonable price for a totl arranger these days is about 2000 Euro not 3200 Euro what a PA3x cost or 3500 Euro what a T4 cost. These prices are ridiculous.

Edited by FransN (07/06/11 06:43 AM)

#328204 - 07/06/11 09:59 AM Re: have arranger prices really gone up? [Re: lahawk]
Tony Hughes Offline

Originally Posted By: lahawk

Larry,

I think you are right, I think the problems with KBs is numbers made, KB numbers are minute compared to PCs
Tyros 4/Pair SR 350/ PC with a i8 intel chip, XENYX 802, Ford Focus 2 litre/Tascam DR07/Brother printer/Designjet 500/ our Doris/5 Grandchildren/ white boxers short Kymart shipped over and Typhoo Tea Earl Grey

#328205 - 07/06/11 11:14 AM Re: have arranger prices really gone up? [Re: Tony Hughes]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Actually computers have not gone down in price, a mid line computer today costs about the same as 10 years ago, however what is classed as a mid-line computer today would have been an astronomical price back then.

The same applies to keyboards, the prices are similar to what they were 10 years ago, but they are now much more powerful, providing a quality of sound that would have cost the earth 10 years ago.

The same applies to all consumer products, prices remain similar but the products get better

Bill

#328206 - 07/06/11 11:29 AM Re: have arranger prices really gone up? [Re: abacus]
Tony Hughes Offline

Bill,

Not certain I completly agree, a 46" samsung LED TV about 2 year back was £1600, I bought on this year for £899 and it's better than the ones 2 years back, it's the numbers game, the more they sell the cheaper they will be. Why ever Wings are £2500 when they come off the production line in 10s I have no idea.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online