SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#327613 - 06/28/11 06:40 PM Controlling Yamaha T4 from any controller!
donpatt Offline

Loc: Lufkin, TX.
Hi Group,

Is there anyone on this forum controlling a T4, or any of the Tyros series directly from an accordion or control keyboard?

I want to be able to change sounds on the T4 via the Registration buttons on the Roland 7X accordion. These buttons can transmit cc00, cc32, and PC as well as after touch, pitch bend, velocity ETC.

I can already control the T4, i.e. play styles and sounds however I have to change sounds and styles from the T4 itself, or use a footswitch!

I have all the info on Tyros sounds (ccoo, cc32, PC) from Yamaha's Data Sheet Manual, however when I program them to a registration button and push that button, nothing happens. The sound doesn't change.

I called tech support at Yamaha and they couldn't help me! I find this very curious! Roland tech support couldn't help either.

The deeal is this. I have 14 buttons available on the accordion in each set. And I have 80 possible sets. So the possibilities are endless; if I can just get it to work.

The 7X accordion is quite capable of sending the proper MIDI messages; Don't know what I'm doing wrong!

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Don P

#327658 - 06/29/11 08:58 AM Re: Controlling Yamaha T4 from any controller! [Re: donpatt]
tyroschuck Offline

Loc: Downey, CA, US
Don, good luck in your search. This may not work out but just in case... The MFC-10 Yamaha multi foot switch is programmable (midi) to do a variety of things. I believe there is a template on the T4 to start with. Perhaps this could be a starting place for your research.

On the T4 press.. Function, Midi, All parts, Edit, tab to MFC10 and there you go. I tried going through the list displayed and it seemed to show all of the regular functions as Midi controllable including Reg.

regards, chuck

#327693 - 06/29/11 03:24 PM Re: Controlling Yamaha T4 from any controller! [Re: donpatt]
MacAllcock Offline

Loc: Preston, Lancashire, England
Sorry, my previous text said "I don't think you can select registrations using a midi message" but now I read your post again that isn't the question, is it....

I think Yamaha use CC32 as "Bank Select", but you need to follow that with a standard midi program change and I don't know whether your accordian can do that.

To select voice in the Left, R1, R2, R3 parts could you assign them to different midi channels? Trouble is you'd have to get the accordian to send out bank, program and note data on multiple simultaneous midi channels.

I fear that what you want may not be possible to the degree you would like. I've investigated driving my PSR3000 from external master keyboards and concluded that whilst it was easy to send notes and program changes to one or two midi channels after that not much was possible.

Edited by MacAllcock (06/29/11 03:40 PM)
Edit Reason: answered wrong question

#327727 - 06/30/11 06:36 AM Re: Controlling Yamaha T4 from any controller! [Re: donpatt]
donpatt Offline

Thanks guys,

Chuck, the MFC10 may be my only hope, although I was trying to avoid that. I've used one in the past w/my T2. I must not be very coordinated, 'cause I always had trouble hitting the correct button. Buttons are so close together!

John, I'm using the Accordion 1 template and in there using the "keyboard" setting on Ch. 4 for the right hand voices. I changed the "keyboard" setting to "song" and can get some response however, for some reason the sound quality seems to diminish.

as I said, I can play the T4 using the accordion and every thing sounds great, just have to make all changes on the T4. Tech guy at Yamaha said he would keep checking.

I'll keep trying. The Roland accordion transmits on all 16 channels and I can transmit on multiple channels at the same time.

Don P

#327733 - 06/30/11 07:27 AM Re: Controlling Yamaha T4 from any controller! [Re: donpatt]
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
Don,
Tell me exactly what the accordian can send when pressing the registration buttons. Is it ONLY on 1 midi channel? Or is that programmable?
ALSO, do you just want to control like R1?
I do believe this can be done....
I know MIDI pretty well and I will try to help you.

#327739 - 06/30/11 08:29 AM Re: Controlling Yamaha T4 from any controller! [Re: donpatt]
tyroschuck Offline

Loc: Downey, CA, US
Don, the MFC 10 suggestion was meant to be a starting point. A way to find what can and cannot be done with MIDI and then what codes to put in a template.
Perhaps with Lee's help you can modify an existing template to do what you want.
best regards, chuck

#327753 - 06/30/11 09:54 AM Re: Controlling Yamaha T4 from any controller! [Re: donpatt]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
I believe you need to set the control channel to send registration,user program data....The problem though as I understand..The Yamaha arrangers as well as other brands are limited in midi data operation...I don't think it is possible to set a control channel recieve on the Tyros4..

As mentioned above you can make program changes via midi on individual channels..Try to send a midi set from the accordion to the Tyros4 ..it may receive multiple channel program changes..Although the Roland accordion may be limited to 8 midi sets...

#327766 - 06/30/11 11:26 AM Re: Controlling Yamaha T4 from any controller! [Re: donpatt]
donpatt Offline

Many thanks to all,

Chuck, as we speak I'm ordering the MFC10. It does seem to be the simplest way to achieve the results I want. Thanks for the suggestion!

Lee S, The Roland 7X V accordion will transmit and receive on 16 channels. Any of the 14 registration buttons on the accordion can be programmed independent of each other, and set to any of the 16 chnnels. The following can be transmitted:

Note On/Off
Octive
cc00
cc32
PC
Volume
Reverbe
Chorus
Expression
Velocity
After touch

And probably some I've left out. Also I can transmit on several channels simultaneously. for example treble(right hand voices) Ch1, chords Ch2 and bass on Ch3.

Lee S. Thanks for you generous offer of help, and I'm certain I will call on you. Its been suggested on another forum that I might bee better off tring to call up registrations on T4, but I don't know hou to do that. I'm basically trying to be able to change right hand voices (lead voices) directly from the accordion. Not styles just voices.

Fran, the default control channel of the accordion is Ch13. However, this is programable. Just as you said, I could not find a control channel setting on the T4.

Don P

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online