Originally Posted By: lahawk
Yes, but at Disney World and other big venues, you KNOW there are backing tracks. They don't try and HIDE it. There is no band in sight.

This guy and other arranger keyboard players who pretend to play are trying to hide the fact that they are not playing. I'm not saying faking is a bad thing...I'm just saying he's not playing.

Playing Chords is a LITTLE more than playing nothing.

Exactly, Larry...it's one thing to make people aware, and another to hide it. That's when it's a bad fake, in my opinion.

And yes, playing chords is certainly a LITTLE more than playing nothing...that is exactly why I prefer styles over using an SMF.

I direct the flow of the music, I choose the type of style, I decide what chord substitutions to use, I decide when to increase the dynamics of the arrangement, and I do this while playing "live". Far and away, more flexible than SMF, in my opinion, and that's exactly why I use it.

Anderson may have pre-recorded the performance on the keyboard, and mimed playing over it...nothing wrong with that, but, truth be told, and, as you originally have pointed out, he is not playing in that video.

Ian