SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#327163 - 06/24/11 05:12 PM OT: Neat gig story - you just never know
hammer Offline

Loc: Texas
I have been playing at a place for 3 years and a lady there always talked about her professional dancing career and would get up and do rather silly things she called dancing. It was fun watching her enjoy herself and made the gig a lot of fun. Today I met her daughter and found out her mother was one of the original "June Taylor Dancers" who performed weekly on the Jackie Gleason TV show and the Ed Sullivan show. Her mother now is dementia patient but sure does enjoy music.

You just never know who is in your audience.

Deane

#327164 - 06/24/11 05:33 PM Re: OT: Neat gig story - you just never know [Re: hammer]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Wow! That is fascinating, Deane.

That must have been quite a surprise.

I think being able to play these types of gigs takes a special "people" talent, besides your musical talent.

You have my greatest respect.

Ian

#327165 - 06/24/11 05:49 PM Re: OT: Neat gig story - you just never know [Re: hammer]
Dnj Offline

I perform at a Senior day care center....and one of the member was a Radio City Rocket in the 40's.......we always chat about the old days when she danced on stage amazing all the big stars she danced with......shes 88 now. You never know who is in the audience or what they did in their life. I have another customer she & her two sisters were the opening act for the Ray Anthony Orchestra....she showed me some wonderful pictures of the Big Band era with them dancing on stage in the 1940's....talk wit these older people you'll learn so many things about the past about going dancing and seeing the bands play it was a glorious time......when they are gone it's all over.

#327167 - 06/24/11 06:20 PM Re: OT: Neat gig story - you just never know [Re: hammer]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
My respect goes out to you as well, Donny.

You guys have a special talent beyond your musical abilities...you can entertain, and you can make people very happy with your performances.

It really does take a special kind of skill, and person, to play the nursing home, assisted living, and senior centres gigs.

Ian

#327187 - 06/24/11 09:34 PM Re: OT: Neat gig story - you just never know [Re: ianmcnll]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Originally Posted By: ianmcnll
My respect goes out to you as well, Donny.

You guys have a special talent beyond your musical abilities...you can entertain, and you can make people very happy with your performances.

It really does take a special kind of skill, and person, to play the nursing home, assisted living, and senior centres gigs.

Ian

We AGREE on something! Wish I wasn't so busy making a living that I can do more of them again. I hate working in the daytime, but it is so rewarding to play for these people, much more for me than the victims, I mean listeners.
DonM

#327220 - 06/25/11 07:38 AM Re: OT: Neat gig story - you just never know [Re: DonM]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Good story, Deane.

Keep up the great work down in the sunny south,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online