SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#327007 - 06/23/11 04:34 AM Re: SZ Member Joe Ayala: Live Arranger KB Performance [Re: Scottyee]
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Well, that's the last time I'll spend my precious time and go through the trouble of listening to someone perform and then give a positive critique....sheez Such a Diva!! LOL

p.s. (What is the male equivalent of a Diva? A Divo?)

Edited by kbrkr (06/23/11 04:36 AM)

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#327064 - 06/23/11 03:08 PM Re: SZ Member Joe Ayala: Live Arranger KB Performance [Re: kbrkr]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Joe ... Although I had seen your performance through another means, I apologize for not commenting ...
Your performance is very relaxed, yet professional ... if there is any 'constructive advice' - I don't like the word "criticism" - I thought the harmony was a little overused in "On The Road Again" ... but that's MY opinion ... you certainly don't NEED it ...

I do think your "trigger finger" reaction was certainly surprising to say the least, and perhaps a bit hasty...
there have been MANY performances posted here with little to no response - that doesn't make it right, necessarily, but that's life ... how many times during your live performances have people passed by without any acknowledgement? ...
I also would be surprised if on at least ONE occasion you have listened to or watched a performance without comment ...

I look forward to hearing/seeing more of your performances ...

#327071 - 06/23/11 05:49 PM Re: SZ Member Joe Ayala: Live Arranger KB Performance [Re: Scottyee]
Telmo Offline

Loc: Brazil - South America
Congratulations Joe, you are indeed a great entertainer musician and that Willie Nelson tune called “On the road again” is one of my favorite country hits. Keep up your great work my musician friend and happy playing.Telmo.

#327077 - 06/23/11 06:46 PM Re: SZ Member Joe Ayala: Live Arranger KB Performance [Re: Telmo]
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Joe...
I also am guilty of not expressing my appreciation of professional performances. I enjoyed both clips and admired your command of the keyboard, your singing and relaxed personna in front of the audience. Nice job.

Dale Carnegie once said: Don't expect gratitude and you will never be disappointed.

Eddie

#327147 - 06/24/11 02:38 PM Re: SZ Member Joe Ayala: Live Arranger KB Performance [Re: Scottyee]
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
Joe-

I watched your video within the last hour. It was pretty good. One of the better clips I've seen/heard in a while. That said, to be frank, it didn't blow me away. Who cares? Your audience likes you, your clients like you and I presume you're having fun so SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE and just do your thing.

As great as this forum can be for some things, meaningful critiques of people's work is, in my opinion, not a real strength. I've heard samples of stuff from some of the "sacred cows" on the forum which was terrible and the response was disappointing. Some raved about the performance nonetheless, others just ignored it. I thought about posting some respectful remarks about why I didn't like the various pieces, but truthfully, I have no appetite for the sh*tstorm that would've ensued. Its not worth it. If somebody really cares what I think, they usually contact me off site and we have a private discussion about the performance or issues they have. I've had several of those through the years with SZ members, and they're pretty enjoyable for both parties.

Its not anyone's fault. People here are trying in most instances to be polite and there's a feeling that bluntness can equal rudeness.

My take is your business is going pretty well. Do what you think is right, keep the residents happy and enjoy yourself. Trying to hit the sweet spot on a forum like this is next to impossible. I understand you didn't post it, but your frustration in the response is misguided. There's only a handful of players who do this professionally, most are playing for their own personal enjoyment, which is a whole different animal.

Just trying to give you some adult feedback and observations, Joe. Have fun, man...

Edited by Bill in Dayton (06/24/11 02:42 PM)

#327152 - 06/24/11 03:26 PM Re: SZ Member Joe Ayala: Live Arranger KB Performance [Re: Scottyee]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Beautifully put, Bill. Unfortunately, most folks here can't handle the truth, which is why there is so little honest (truthful) critiquing going on here. Obviously, many here value 'niceness' over honesty, and maybe that's a good thing; however, it renders most critiques completely valueless. This is especially true when it's 'best buds' critiquing 'best buds'. It also explains why most musical postings here are YouTube postings of total strangers that most of us could care less about (what's up with that?).

Let's face it, only 2 or 3 people on this entire board really play at a high level. Most nursing home players would have a difficult time making it in any other venue and many of the rest would have a difficult time working ANY kind of a gig without the help of SMF's, backing tracks, song-specific registrations on arranger keyboards, three finger chords, and a transpose button.

If you're 55 or over, check out where you're currently playing. You should then be able to critique yourself. Cheers everyone.

BTW, I won't be rebutting your rebuttals, but I promise to read them all.

chas

#327166 - 06/24/11 06:03 PM Re: SZ Member Joe Ayala: Live Arranger KB Performance [Re: cgiles]
Songman55 Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD USA
Originally Posted By: cgiles
Beautifully put, Bill. Unfortunately, most folks here can't handle the truth, which is why there is so little honest (truthful) critiquing going on here. Obviously, many here value 'niceness' over honesty, and maybe that's a good thing; however, it renders most critiques completely valueless. This is especially true when it's 'best buds' critiquing 'best buds'. It also explains why most musical postings here are YouTube postings of total strangers that most of us could care less about (what's up with that?).

Let's face it, only 2 or 3 people on this entire board really play at a high level. Most nursing home players would have a difficult time making it in any other venue and many of the rest would have a difficult time working ANY kind of a gig without the help of SMF's, backing tracks, song-specific registrations on arranger keyboards, three finger chords, and a transpose button.

If you're 55 or over, check out where you're currently playing. You should then be able to critique yourself. Cheers everyone.

BTW, I won't be rebutting your rebuttals, but I promise to read them all.

chas

I was going to leave well enough alone but I have to take this one on. I am a classically trained pianist who has played concert tours in this country as well as Enland, Cuba, and Mexico. I have piano albums out there which you can check out. I have a long career playing in bands as well. I have been ou tour with the Platters as well as the Flamingoes and I did a short stint with Wayne Cochran and the CC Riders at the Barn in Miami. I have played the nursing home circuit the past several years for the following reasons. First of all, it is the most gratifying work I have ever done. I love the old people. Secondly, it gives me a normal life. I don't have to work every night of the week for the first time in my life. I'm 61 years old and I love what I do. Shame on you guys who put down the nursing home circuit. You have no idea of some of the great musical things that are happining out there with people like Gary Diamond, Donny Pesce, and yes, Bill Corfield and myself. I'm sorry this whole thing got started but for the time being, as Bill said, he wasn't blown away, but I was. I was blown away from this forum. I have several friends here and I will continue to communicate with you. As for the rest, have a nice life.

Joe

#327170 - 06/24/11 06:51 PM Re: SZ Member Joe Ayala: Live Arranger KB Performance [Re: Scottyee]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I have heard Joe perform in person. He is the BEST!
Love ya, Joe.
DonM

#327171 - 06/24/11 06:54 PM Re: SZ Member Joe Ayala: Live Arranger KB Performance [Re: Scottyee]
doc-z Offline

Loc: Norway
Woah chill dudes! Can't we all get along?

Joe your performance was most enjoyable - it is easy to see why the audience loves you! As a pianist myself I can see by your relaxed nature, and hear by the finesse in your playing that you are a very proficient musician. Keep up the good work!

Personally I don't think there is anything wrong with playing in nursing homes, retirement homes, barn dances, strip clubs or any other venues for that matter. A gig is a gig nonetheless.
If you get paid to do what you do - then you are good enough to do it.

I was wondering what style you used for the Willie Nelson tune? I've been searching for such a style on my Tyros3 - but there are so many styles so I get confused..

Again loved your performance, and keep up the good work - and post some more vids - I would love to watch more.

DocZ

#327173 - 06/24/11 07:19 PM Re: SZ Member Joe Ayala: Live Arranger KB Performance [Re: Scottyee]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Sorry Joe. Actually, I know you can play. That doesn't mean that what Bill and I said isn't essentially true. It's just that of all the things I've seen on Synthzone, this is the first time I've seen anyone get upset because they didn't think enough people rallied around to tell them how great they were. You have to admit, that IS a little bit 'Diva'-like.

chas

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online