SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#327095 - 06/23/11 11:04 PM Re: Any updates from BK7M users? [Re: Bill Lewis]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
If I didn't like the BK I wouldn't be playing it. Who gives a rat's rear if you recommend it because you have not played it.
For now, it fits my needs extremely well. I don't know where you got the idea that it didn't, except to take something I said in trying to share the good AND the less than good things that I experienced with it and jump on it, totally ignoring the good things I said about it.
Imagine Dave or Fran buying something and then getting rid of it. They have both done that several times with Yamaha products, as well as others.
I would have dumped it after a month if I didn't like it.
I had a patron come up to me tonight and try to buy it because he loved the way it sounded. I do too.
I agree with Miden, I don't think it's me at all.
As Buddy Holly said, "Rave On".

#327096 - 06/23/11 11:18 PM Re: Any updates from BK7M users? [Re: DonM]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Originally Posted By: DonM
If I didn't like the BK I wouldn't be playing it. Who gives a rat's rear if you recommend it because you have not played it.

Well, the three people I spoke with, and who bought PSR-S series certainly gave a rat's ass.

Fran, Dave, Deane all played it and returned it...so you're saying that they aren't qualified? I think they are.

You had problems, and although you managed to get it working, you still aren't totally pleased...piano mode has changed with the new OS upgrade...you didn't like that much.

Whether it's you or not, isn't the issue, so please stop trying to put a spin on this...it's not working.

The issue is the BK-7M not being acceptable to the professional players who have posted here, and also with the pro players who have spoken to me.

Based on that, I will not recommend the product.

If I get further information that refutes what I have now, I will change my mind...but not until.

Yes, it sounds great, and many of the styles are very good, but what good is that to the person who is dealing with a very unfriendly operating system?

If you like it, knock yourself out...but I say, buyer beware.

Ian

#327099 - 06/24/11 12:21 AM Re: Any updates from BK7M users? [Re: Bill Lewis]
DonM Offline

You so obviously don't know what you're talking about, that I'm tired of wasting time and energy.
I have made a living doing NOTHING but playing music professionally for many years. I think that makes ME a pro.
I don't have a job repping keyboards. I don't have a job teaching, honorable as that is. I'm not retired from anything.
FYI, Roland US has contacted me about the pianist mode and assured me it will be corrected in the next OS upgrade. Free even. There are a couple of other minor bugs that are also slated for fixes.
Someone asked for opinions about the BK-7M from USERS. I tried to help. I'm sorry I did.
I played a Tyros 4 for several hours on each of two occasions. I can't recommend it. Who CARES if I can't recommend it? I'm pretty certain you don't, because you have found that it fits your needs. I'm also certain that if you were paid to represent Roland, as you are by Yamaha, you would have a much deeper knowledge of the module and be touting it instead of running it down to suit your own purposes.
All you know about it is that three of your customers, and three people here tried it and didn't like it. You even tried to lump me in with them, which just isn't true.

Buyer beware??? Are you kidding me? Did you see that long list of faults that you get in a $4900. Yamaha? Give me a break. I wasn't talking about hearsay; I was speaking from personal experience.
I'm talking about a module that costs considerably less that $1,000. It sounds terrific, is easy to use and it suits my purposes at this time. Why do you insist that it doesn't?
I don't like to argue. Apparently you do and I'm finished with this thread.
You can now come back and twist something else around and you will win. Congratulations.
I feel you are hurting this forum. Just my opinion, you understand.
I'm sure Nigel will delete my posts again. I'm past the point of caring, because of you. It's not me.

#327101 - 06/24/11 01:06 AM Re: Any updates from BK7M users? [Re: DonM]
ianmcnll Offline

Originally Posted By: DonM
You so obviously don't know what you're talking about, that I'm tired of wasting time and energy.
I have made a living doing NOTHING but playing music professionally for many years. I think that makes ME a pro.
I don't have a job repping keyboards. Congratulations.
I feel you are hurting this forum. Just my opinion, you understand.
I'm sure Nigel will delete my posts again. I'm past the point of caring, because of you. It's not me.

Yes, DonM, I know you are a pro, but so were the others who used the product and returned it.

I have also been playing professionally for many years...probably nearly as many as you.

If you think I am hurting this forum by warning people about a product that has been tried and found unsatisfactory by several forum members, plus three more that I met personally, you definitely are entitled to your opinion, but I do not agree with you.

I think it is important to make people aware of a purchase that may or may not be in their best interest. However, unlike you, I'm not prepared to scurry away every time someone disagrees with me, or has a different opinion.

I am glad Roland will allegedly fix the piano mode...and well they should "for free". They screwed it up. It worked okay until the new OS was loaded...I'd be very wary of any further upgrades, but, hey, thankfully, I don't own one.

Yes, someone asked for opinions about the BK-7M and I gave mine, based on what I term, very reliable sources.

You know, it wasn't that long ago that you were recommending that someone buy a keyboard (rather than renting, or shipping their own) and then use it for gigging, and then return it to the dealer for refund, forcing the dealer to sell the item as B-Stock, and all with the express intention of never keeping it in the first place.

I didn't want to bring that up, but since you are continually pointing the finger at me, I feel it is necessary for me to let you know it would do well for you to check the three that are pointing back at you.

So who is actually hurting the forum?

Personally, I think it was at that point that you stopped caring, because I really thought it was out of character for you, and I was quite surprised to see you post such a suggestion.

So, my opinion still stands regarding the BK-7M...it's buyer beware, or buyer be wary, whatever works best.

Ian

#327102 - 06/24/11 01:52 AM Re: Any updates from BK7M users? [Re: ianmcnll]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
ok we have done this to death. Finish it now. The BK suits some peoples needs while others it doesn't. That is pretty much typical of everything in this life. Neither side will convince the other so just live with it .... the rest of us aren't interested in the pointless back and forth. You both made your points in your initial posts ... the rest are superflous.

#327103 - 06/24/11 02:12 AM Re: Any updates from BK7M users? [Re: Bill Lewis]
rolandfan Offline

Loc: South Africa
Ian any news from yamaha on the s series replacement

#327104 - 06/24/11 02:25 AM Re: Any updates from BK7M users? [Re: rolandfan]
ianmcnll Offline

Originally Posted By: rolandfan
Ian any news from yamaha on the s series replacement

Nothing at this time.

CVP and PSR are usually launched at the same time, and there has been no info yet on either.

Ian

#327108 - 06/24/11 05:39 AM Re: Any updates from BK7M users? [Re: ianmcnll]
hammer Offline

Loc: Texas
I was not going to join this discussion but because my name has been mentioned in the posts figured I should speak for myself. I think if you read all my posts here you will find I did not knock the BK-7M but reported things I found that were either really hard to do on the module or that I did not understand and was asking Roland users for ideas. I used the module on 2 gigs and actually did NOT find it hard to use once everything was setup properly. My controller is a Roland A-800 Pro which is Roland's TOTL controller for now. A former member here named John along with Bill Grosse from another forum helped me get the controller setup properly. I have stated from the beginning that I am a real newbie with midi and my learning curve was a straight line up!!

I sold the BK-7M for the following reasons:
1. I found it added to rather than lessened my setup time on gigs
2. Most of the assigned OTS voices, which can't be changed then saved, were not to my liking and frankly did not fit well the style they were assigned to.
3. It was very time consuming doing just the very simple things on it - even after you learned how. For example, to simply audition styles and delete those not wanted you had to copy the styles onto a computer, play the style on the module, but delete the style from the copy on a computer, then reload everything back onto the thumb drive. What idiot designed that part of the OS???

So folks, I owned one, used one on two gigs, spent hours and hours learning to use it properly, setup about 100 songs on one, but still decided to sell it. I found the OS to be very hard to use and not finished. It has many bugs reported by users all over the world - check the BK-7M users group and the Roland Arranger BK-7M forum. I believe Roland rushed the product to market in order to announce it at NAMM. There is not an editor program available, that works, for the thing so everything must be done on the module. One of the owners makes adjustments to styles on his E50 then transfers them to the BK-7M - what kind of a deal is that? Not everyone who buys the module has another Roland keyboard to use as an editor.

Just my thoughts.
Deane

Edited by hammer (06/24/11 05:45 AM)

#327112 - 06/24/11 06:42 AM Re: Any updates from BK7M users? [Re: Bill Lewis]
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
I heard that if you upgrade to the latest version (1.05) the Pianist Mode will not work.
Has that been corrected yet? More importantly is Roland DEFINETLY going to correct that in a new upgrade?
confused

Why would they disable Piano Mode in an upgrade

#327117 - 06/24/11 07:58 AM Re: Any updates from BK7M users? [Re: Bill Lewis]
DonM Offline

The Pianist mode works fine in full keyboard mode. It doesn't work correctly in split mode, where you use a sustain pedal to hold the chord until you decide to change.
I was assured by Roland US that it would be corrected. That's all I know. I use it on one song out of my repertoire so I can easily work around it.
DonM

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online