SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#326421 - 06/13/11 10:35 AM Re: Just Received First Casio WK-7500 Quick Review! [Re: TedS]
tgeorges Offline

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Originally Posted By: TedS
George, do these Casios have either an "arranger hold" or "sync stop" function? In other words, is there a way to set them up so that when a style is playing and you lift your hand from the keys in the accompaniment section, the style stops; and when you play another chord, the style resumes?

Yamahas can do this by activating a setting called "sync stop" (you can even specify how long you have to hold the keys to "latch" a chord.) Roland and Korg also have a "sync stop" function in the style control section. In addition, Roland has a menu parameter called "Arranger Hold", and Korg has a "Memory" button right on the panel for this purpose.

I read the manual pretty thoroughly, and unless you activate it by pressing the "Syncrho / ending" button twice, it appears that Casio has omitted this important capability.

Unfortunately you are right - no sync stop on the WK-7500. That's one of the things I miss, going from my PSR-540 to this keyboard.

Quote:
Which brings up another important question...

Do these boards have the ability to accept firmware updates? I wasn't into arrangers 10 years ago when the MZ-2000 made its debut. Can anyone say whether Casio supported that board with firmware updates to fix bugs, add features, etc.? Thanks!

This I don't know. It would be very cool if it did accept updates.

-Tom

#326429 - 06/13/11 01:27 PM Re: Just Received First Casio WK-7500 Quick Review! [Re: George Kaye]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
The only thing that kept me from buying one is the annoying, VERY loud, zippering effect when using the organ drawbars. It's inpossible to make changes on the fly and not sound like a typewriter. (That's a sort of mechanical word processor, for the under 30 set! lol)

#326445 - 06/13/11 03:49 PM Re: Just Received First Casio WK-7500 Quick Review! [Re: George Kaye]
WDMcM
Unregistered

Speaking of drawbars (sliders), I heard that there are only three discreet volume levels that can be obtained for each harmonic as opposed to the 8 levels on a Hammond. Is this correct? And if so, do other parameters respond to the sliders with a higher resolution?

Uncle Dave, did the zipper noise you heard come from the internal speakers or external amplification? Could it have been an issue of another device connected to the keyboard via the audio outputs, or was a computer connected to the USB port of the keyboard? Laptops are notorious for introducing noise (typically the hard drive motor) though the audio output when connected to keyboards, drum machines, etc. via USB. Just curious if the zipper noise you heard is being caused by a similar issue.

#326527 - 06/14/11 07:06 PM Re: Just Received First Casio WK-7500 Quick Review! [Re: ]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Originally Posted By: WDMcM
Speaking of drawbars (sliders), did the zipper noise you heard come from the internal speakers or external amplification?

I only listened to the internal speakers, and there was nothing else connected.

#326539 - 06/14/11 10:07 PM Re: Just Received First Casio WK-7500 Quick Review! [Re: George Kaye]
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
you are correct that there is only 3 levels for each slider in the drawbar mode. That is what Dave is hearing. The change from each level to the next. When using the sliders as a mixer for all other parts this is not the case.
(Retired 2021)

#326556 - 06/15/11 05:41 AM Re: Just Received First Casio WK-7500 Quick Review! [Re: George Kaye]
WDMcM
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: George Kaye
you are correct that there is only 3 levels for each slider in the drawbar mode. That is what Dave is hearing. The change from each level to the next. When using the sliders as a mixer for all other parts this is not the case.

Thanks for the answer. Is there another way of controlling the drawbar levels in order to get the full range of volume for each harmonic?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online