SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#325002 - 05/26/11 09:40 AM UPS file question
vin5451 Offline

Loc: Wellington, Fl USA
Ok Roland users, I need to know if the UPS files (guess they're set lists) are similar to the Performance Lists in the BK-7M? If they are, anyone know of a PC editor which will read these files on a PC or Intel Mac?

T3 is nice, but I miss my G-70 and want to try to work with one or an E-80 again by sending CC/PC messages to address the MusicFinder DB locations CC122/CC??? to pull up the songs I want to play but also need to know if the UPS files load the same as on the BK-7m.

If I go with the BK-7M, no Touch Screen but very deep menus to memorize and lose my way - just as bad as working with the Touch Screen when you can't read the screen. So, working on a PC or Mac is easier to setup the UPS from UPGs or just styles with no additional settings and then setup a Database to send cc/pc commands to call them up through MIDI.

Tried looking at the UPS_Editor on the Roland Zone but the zip file is corrupted.

#325044 - 05/26/11 08:09 PM Re: UPS file question [Re: vin5451]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Vince, I believe the programmar of "Sessions" (software for User Programs editing) is going to write the sessions software to work with the BK series..

I know how you feel about missing the G70.. smile

Tell Diki you want it back.. smile

#325056 - 05/27/11 05:37 AM Re: UPS file question [Re: Fran Carango]
vin5451 Offline

Loc: Wellington, Fl USA
Thanks Fran, I contacted the author of Session Manager but he never replied. Seems Diki doesn't want to answer either since I've sent him a few messages too. I'm willing to even go with an E-80 since I won't be moving it around much; so session manager may work for what I want to do as long as I can organize everything in some formal order so I can find the items I need easily. If I can setup the MusicAssistant DB with what I want, load it up and address it from my PC as it says in each of the manuals, I should be fine. Still not sure how I can address UPGs this way except if they were in the MADB. I also haven't found whether the MADB on the G-70 and E-80 is changeable like on the BK - say you have several Performance Lists which can be selected from a list and pulled into the same memory block to be addressed. BK does use the same memory block for each as John from UK had pointed out on another forum and it shows this in the manual. Great that the author is looking at making SessionManager usable with the BK - it may help a lot. If that comes about, I may go with the BK since it's easier on the pocket - control it from my Motif XS7.

There's several G-70s on EBay right now but they've got them priced too high - over $2300 each. That's much higher than what I paid for mine and definitely even more so than what Diki paid when he bought it. I think Manuel still has the boxed one but sure he'll be kind of high on it too. If I go with either G-70 or E-80 - gonna have to sell off my T3 first but I need to be sure I can work all this out before I do sell since that one is working with this method now. I don't want to be stuck with a board which I will have the same issues I had before...I still feel strongly I can work this all out like you and Diki had said before. It's just going to take time and access to people who know those screens to help document these beasts. That was the problem before, I had no access to some one who can help when I needed it. Wife is retired now, so she has more time - not technical though.

#325901 - 06/04/11 04:21 PM Re: UPS file question [Re: vin5451]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Originally Posted By: vin5451
Tried looking at the UPS_Editor on the Roland Zone but the zip file is corrupted.

It's OK now, I have replaced that corrupted zip file in http://www.synthzone.com/midi/roland/g1000/

#326089 - 06/07/11 03:54 PM Re: UPS file question [Re: vin5451]
Bob Hendershot Offline

Loc: Johnson City, TN USA
I am new to Roland arrangers. I first installed the English version of the UPS Editor ( UPS_Editor_Setup.zip ) . Got a run time error so uninstalled that. I then installed the Spanish version ( ups manager.zip ) . It also causes a run time error. Am using Windows XP. Does the software work with XP?

What is the Session Manager software?

#326093 - 06/07/11 04:18 PM Re: UPS file question [Re: vin5451]
Fran Carango Offline

http://www.shotbolt.com/downloads/downloads.htm

Here is the correct download page for the sessions software...from Richard's website..

#326106 - 06/07/11 07:12 PM Re: UPS file question [Re: vin5451]
Bob Hendershot Offline

Thank you, Fran. Will give it a try.

#326121 - 06/08/11 12:12 AM Re: UPS file question [Re: Bob Hendershot]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Originally Posted By: Bob Hendershot
I am new to Roland arrangers. I first installed the English version of the UPS Editor ( UPS_Editor_Setup.zip ) . Got a run time error so uninstalled that. I then installed the Spanish version ( ups manager.zip ) . It also causes a run time error. Am using Windows XP. Does the software work with XP?

I guess that old software from 1998 is most probably Win 95/98.

#326138 - 06/08/11 05:29 AM Re: UPS file question [Re: vin5451]
Fran Carango Offline

http://web.archive.org/web/200102031736/http://daytonamusic.com/rag/index.htm

Here is our old archive...Roland Arranger Group (RAG)...Maybe some folks will find it interesting...

#326140 - 06/08/11 05:41 AM Re: UPS file question [Re: vin5451]
Bob Hendershot Offline

Fran, the link you provided for the Session Manager worked fine. Now I need to find out what to do with the software. Looking for an easier way to rename UPS files and to set up play lists so I can load "next" in a planned sequence. Looks like neat software.

The link for the RAG didn't work for me.

Got the link to work by copying and pasting to the browser.

Edited by Bob Hendershot (06/08/11 05:52 AM)
Edit Reason: Update

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online