SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 7 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#326005 - 06/06/11 06:05 PM Re: What Don't you like about Tyros 4? [Re: Dnj]
Tonewheeldude Offline

I get what Mockie is saying. The Tyros looks plasticky and depending on the type of gigs you get presentation is almost equal to performance. Purple with yellow stripes is fine if your in a 70s tribute band, but if you want to get booked again at quality venues you better take it to the paint shop.

And he is absolutely not a minority musician caring about the look. Whilst the Tyros look is not a problem for tea dances and old folks homes, all of the high profile bands I have worked with demand a certain standard from their keyboardist

(Not wanting to drop names but you probably know WHO I am talking about, DEEP PURPLE with yellow stripes would not cut it and in your diary where bookings once were you would see only a black MARK. RONS ON the wrong track too with silver plastic, he might be out in the COLD PLAYing for beer money and that sure would STING the wallet plus he would miss the applause and only get the odd CLAP. TONy hughes would be ok though with his metal keyboard. He might even feel a right big JOHN, LORDing it over all the plastic toy keyboards which would be BAD MANNERS to put it SIMPLY. RED seems to be fine for quite a few younger bands for some reason; even if it does seem like MADNESS. but YES you might say, after buying my silver plastic keyboard wth the bright buttons i would expect money to be handed to me on a "plat ARGENT" it should be win...WIN. WOOD is required too for the bigger stuff otherwise your income will jump off the keyboard stand and vanish like a PROCUL HARUM in the night)

Stage presence is of upmost importance when your playing to a large audience and wanting to be paid well!

#326006 - 06/06/11 06:24 PM Re: What Don't you like about Tyros 4? [Re: Tonewheeldude]
FransN Offline

Loc: Netherlands
Yes how a keyboard looks is also important to me so I also agree with Mockie. That is also the reason I bought a PA500 Musikant because that one was black instead of the international one that was blue.

The last Yamaha arranger that looks good was the psr 9000 pro.

#326007 - 06/06/11 06:25 PM Re: What Don't you like about Tyros 4? [Re: Tonewheeldude]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Originally Posted By: Tonewheeldude

Stage presence is of upmost importance when your playing to a large audience and wanting to be paid well!

But of course...I have (stage presence), I do (play to large audiences) and I am (paid well).

Thank you, thank you very much. cool

Ian

#326010 - 06/06/11 07:20 PM Re: What Don't you like about Tyros 4? [Re: Tonewheeldude]
ianmcnll Offline

Originally Posted By: Tonewheeldude
Whilst the Tyros look is not a problem for tea dances and old folks homes, all of the high profile bands I have worked with demand a certain standard from their keyboardist

(

TWD, what high profile bands did you work for that used an arranger keyboard?

Ian

#326011 - 06/06/11 07:25 PM Re: What Don't you like about Tyros 4? [Re: Dnj]
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
No problem for me, IMHO...any of the bands you are thinking about would not have ANYONE playing an arranger keyboad.
In fact MOST (no not all ) of the time you can not hear the keyboard player AT ALL (or barely at all)...so why bother even having one, as the guitars and drums drown out everything else.

#326013 - 06/06/11 08:13 PM Re: What Don't you like about Tyros 4? [Re: leeboy]
ianmcnll Offline

Originally Posted By: leeboy
No problem for me, IMHO...any of the bands you are thinking about would not have ANYONE playing an arranger keyboad.

I'm like you Lee...quality sound is very important to me.

Not only that, but anyone that doesn't have quality sound as their top priority when buying a keyboard can't be too concerned about how their music sounds.

People hear with their ears, not their eyes.

They can dress up an Audya all they want, and make it out of precious metal, but it would only be like putting lipstick on a pig...it will still be a pig. The same for any other arranger or any electronic keyboard, for that matter.

The color of the case, the material it's made from, and the appearance of the buttons that activate it have nothing to do with how an arranger sounds and performs...nothing.

If it was a guitar? Yes, because the kind of material it's made from will affect the sound...same for a trumpet, acoustic piano, and even a harmonica.

The Tyros4 has a place on my keyboard stand because it sounds awesome, works very well in all genres, has an easy to use, intuitive Operating System, a great feeling FSX keybed, well laid out panel buttons, and is very reliable and very well made.

The fact that I like how it looks, is just a bonus.

Ian

#326015 - 06/06/11 08:27 PM Re: What Don't you like about Tyros 4? [Re: Dnj]
miden Offline

Loc: The World
In all the bands I played in, the only two things the others ever gave a toss about was - could I play, and how did I sound, ie did my keyboard SOUND match the get-go of the band......

Looks NEVER came into anything, LOL - apart from my own personal look!! Got bagged out (not sacked mind you) a few times for that!!

#326016 - 06/06/11 08:42 PM Re: What Don't you like about Tyros 4? [Re: Dnj]
Nick G Offline

Loc: Sydney, NSW, Australia
I have played in bands with my keyboards (Technics KN6000 / Tyros 2 / PSR 3000) and never once did anyone question what type of keyboard it was or comment on how it looked.

most band members that I have come accross(guitarists / drummers / bass players / singers) don't even know what an arranger keyboard is compared to a synth.

I have seen some live bands on TV play at very special events using cheap low end keyboards which is also surprising.

Nick

#326017 - 06/06/11 08:44 PM Re: What Don't you like about Tyros 4? [Re: miden]
ianmcnll Offline

Originally Posted By: miden
In all the bands I played in, the only two things the others ever gave a toss about was - could I play, and how did I sound, ie did my keyboard SOUND match the get-go of the band......

Looks NEVER came into anything, LOL - apart from my own personal look!! Got bagged out (not sacked mind you) a few times for that!!

Ha ha...I think some keyboardists are more poseurs than players, Dennis...they think they need to have a certain look, or stacks of instruments, or their keyboard has to match the stand, and/or the amp...as I said before, people hear with their ears, not their eyes.

I think Montunoman (Paul) sums it up very nicely with his signature that says, "It not the keyboard, it's the keyboardist."

Ian

#326019 - 06/06/11 09:04 PM Re: What Don't you like about Tyros 4? [Re: Dnj]
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.

Paul Schaeffer plays a silver colored keyboard... shame shame

Lar

Page 7 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online