SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 6 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#325311 - 05/29/11 12:42 PM Re: What Don't you like about Tyros 4? [Re: montunoman]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Originally Posted By: montunoman
I don't think a loop function would be "cheating" anymore than using styles, canned intro/endings, SMF, MP3/audio backing tracks...

For me it would be great- I could do two hand montunos or any type of chord voicings I wanted to. It would free me up so much. I'm really liking the idea. Maybe a Korg is in my future? smile

It all depends on the usage, I suppose.

To see someone use SMF's and "pretend" to play over them (yes, I've seen people do this) at a gig, a paying one at that, sure wouldn't do much for arranger player credibility if that person's ruse was discovered.

Maybe we'll see more Chord Sequencers on other arrangers now that Korg has initiated it's implementation, although I don't know if I would get a Korg PA3X strictly because it has one. So far, the rest of the instrument is not as impressive as it was hoped to be, at least in my opinion.

The Tyros4 does it for me...it has the sound I like.

Ian

#325313 - 05/29/11 01:01 PM Re: What Don't you like about Tyros 4? [Re: Dnj]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
For sure, it really comes down to sound. That's why I play Yamaha. All the bells and whistles don't mean a thing if it doesn't sound nice to your ears.

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#325351 - 05/29/11 05:34 PM Re: What Don't you like about Tyros 4? [Re: Dnj]
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
Hey gang...you know...I just read all these posts.
Oh my gosh I don't see any complaints from Telmo??? Or Robbie??
So, doesn't seem like the guy(s) that has done the most posted music for us recently has anything he needs that he does not have??

Seems like they are able to play some absolutely incrediable music for themselves and us without any issues.

Good enough for me.

No keyboard is perfect for everyone...but, based on the type of music I love to play/hear.....I think I can get by with a T4 quite nicely!

I don't currently have one, and if I did I'm sure I would have things I would complain about, but, to get myself back in line.....I will just listen to a few performances from Telmo, and others as well.

#325384 - 05/30/11 03:07 AM Re: What Don't you like about Tyros 4? [Re: Dnj]
Telmo Offline

Loc: Brazil - South America
Hello there,
I have to agree with the majority here pointing out Tyros4 weakness. But, to me, in the long run, after testing Korg, Roland and some others, I realised the Tyros4 would be suitable to my musical experience. As there is NO perfect keyboardist, there won't be a perfect arranger keyboard. But if you choose any arranger, and take advantage of all its features, you can really accomplish something. Of course, no way, Tyros4 is a perfect arranger. I'd like to have more keys, speakers integrated, compatible to Vst, more expansion memory, and so on. Perhaps,if we could pick the best out of every keyboard, we might build an almost perfect killer. Take a look at youtube videos for instance: you'll find beautiful performances from several keyboardists of different manufactures. Like our dear member Montunoman states: "It's not entirely the keyboard, but the keyboardist who makes the difference". In conclusion, with all due respect to all, to me, at present, Tyros4 rules. Greetings from Brazil, Telmo.

#325385 - 05/30/11 04:44 AM Re: What Don't you like about Tyros 4? [Re: Dnj]
Impuls Offline

Loc: Netherlands
I really don't like the voice editor on the Pc,to small window to work with.
In this time with all that nice pc synths,they cant make a new and better voice editor that works in real time like the Mox series .

Impuls

#325995 - 06/06/11 01:36 PM Re: What Don't you like about Tyros 4? [Re: Dnj]
jm_bogey Offline

Loc: Montreal,QC, Canada
I'm may be the onky one to complaint about.
For me the size, the keyboard is to big, don't fit in my car trunk. And I realy like a keyboard with onboard speakers.

So for that I change my T3 for S-910.

Jean-Marie

#325997 - 06/06/11 02:58 PM Re: What Don't you like about Tyros 4? [Re: Dnj]
Mockie Offline

Loc: Dublin Ireland
Hi

I don't have a Tyros 4 but I did have a Tyros 1 a few years

ago and the main reason I got rid of it was, mainly its

appearance.

I felt it did not match up to what I'd expect to see on the

bandstand or whatever at a professional gig or performance.

I always felt I was playing a home keyboard or kids toy.

I am sure the Tyros 4 has great sounds and styles but I would

not buy one unless it had a 76 note keyboard and finished in

black, similar to the Korg PAX3 or the Roland G70 which I have

now.

#325999 - 06/06/11 03:39 PM Re: What Don't you like about Tyros 4? [Re: Mockie]
ianmcnll Offline

Originally Posted By: Mockie
Hi

I don't have a Tyros 4 but I did have a Tyros 1 a few years

ago and the main reason I got rid of it was, mainly its

appearance.

I am sure the Tyros 4 has great sounds and styles but I would

not buy one unless it had a 76 note keyboard and finished in

black, similar to the Korg PAX3 or the Roland G70 which I have

now.

Wow, Mockie...that's the first time I've heard a musician buy an instrument for what it looks like, rather than what it sounds like. But, I learn something new every day.

Personally, I wouldn't care if the Tyros4 was purple, with yellow stripes, as it has a sound like nothing else...SA/SA2 and Mega voices are exclusive to the Yamaha Tyros and give it a multi-dimensional sound, rather than the more one-dimensional offered on some other arrangers.

A friend of mine has an old Telecaster guitar, that looks pretty bad, and is an odd greenish color, but he won't use anything else because it sounds better than any other guitar he owns. I suppose he could paint it, and perhaps you could get a can of paint and a roller and do up a Tyros in whatever color you want, but, the bottom line, at least for most musicians, is the sound...not the look.

I'm sure there are more than a few people wishing the PA3Xpro sounded as good as it looks. wink

Ian

#326000 - 06/06/11 03:52 PM Re: What Don't you like about Tyros 4? [Re: Mockie]
nielshs Offline

Originally Posted By: Mockie
Hi

I felt it did not match up to what I'd expect to see on the

bandstand or whatever at a professional gig or performance.

I always felt I was playing a home keyboard or kids toy.

I had exactly the same feeling with Tyros 2/3. smile

#326002 - 06/06/11 04:16 PM Re: What Don't you like about Tyros 4? [Re: jm_bogey]
ianmcnll Offline

Originally Posted By: jm_bogey
I'm may be the onky one to complaint about.
For me the size, the keyboard is to big, don't fit in my car trunk. And I realy like a keyboard with onboard speakers.

So for that I change my T3 for S-910.

Jean-Marie

I really liked the PSR-S910, and, personally, I thought it sounded terrific, and actually a bit "sweeter" sounding than the Tyros3.

The S910 is a very powerful instrument, and quite a few pros are using them.

Ian

Page 6 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online