SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#325135 - 05/27/11 06:37 PM Re: What Don't you like about Tyros 4? [Re: Dnj]
Songman55 Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD USA
Well I see huge differences between the Tyros series and the S series. I own both a Tyros 1 and a PSR S 900. While I like the 900 for a board in the studio or a backup, there's no way I could play this on a job. It's a toy in comparison to the Tyros series. I've A B'ed them many times and there's no comparison. I need the feel of a big keyboard. Even at only 61 keys, the Tyros has that. The 900's feel like toys to me. That's just my personal opinion, but it's the one that governs what I play. I will upgrade in the future to a T 3 or T 4.

Joe

#325140 - 05/28/11 12:53 AM Re: What Don't you like about Tyros 4? [Re: Dnj]
nielshs Offline

What I don't like about the T4 and the T series is generally is the sound. Compared to the Audya, the T4 is way behind the Audya in realism and sound quality.

#325141 - 05/28/11 01:22 AM Re: What Don't you like about Tyros 4? [Re: Dnj]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Originally Posted By: Dnj
For me the sound is not an issue.....I am happy with that over any arranger on the market, keyfeel is also fine for my light playing style......I'd love to hear someone play an Audya or Korg arranger in the style of Thelmo's Tyros 4 complex arrangements...I don't think it's possible, but I'd be impressed if it was.

Sound has not been an issue with me, neither, Donny...I think the reason we don't hear an Audya or Korg arranger played the style Telmo plays his Tyros4, is that these arrangers are a bit behind in realism and sound quality, in my opinion, of course.

Mind you, they still sound great, in their own unique way, but for sheer quality and realism, it is hard to beat those Yamaha SA/SA2/Mega voices.

I was quite happy with the S-Series action too, Donny...light, fast, and accurate.

I also must say, I was very impressed with the sound, and styles, of the Technics KN-7000 in the demo that Larry Hawk put up on another thread. Man, it still sounds terrific, even after all these years. That is an arranger that has really held it's value.

Ian

#325142 - 05/28/11 02:12 AM Re: What Don't you like about Tyros 4? [Re: Dnj]
Anthony Johnson Offline

Loc: Sheffield Yorkshire England
Originally Posted By: Dnj
Does anyone know the REAL reason Technics stopped making arranger Keyboards?

They said, at the time, that the keyboard side of Panasonic's (Technics owners) operation was such a tiny operation, compared with the rest of their portfolio, that it was not worth carrying on. The limited amount of profit returned after R & D costs did not warrant the effort when they could return much bigger & easier profits through the many other arms of their business.

They were not losing money but wanted to concentrate on more profitable enterprises.

It's surprising that Yamaha carry on really when they are in such a similar position and must make easier profits in their other divisions although they have the advantage of not having the amount of competition which they had to face when Technics & Roland were still making serious keyboards.

Tony

#325143 - 05/28/11 02:14 AM Re: What Don't you like about Tyros 4? [Re: Dnj]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
No Akai sample Import
Not able to use VST
Limited Number of layers for left hand and pedal (If connected)
No Touch Screen
Expensive Memory Upgrades
Small & Slow HDD
To get new features, you have to change the board to a later model. (Heavy knock on the finances)

In spite of the above, I still consider it one of the best arrangers out there, just not for me.

Bill

#325144 - 05/28/11 02:22 AM Re: What Don't you like about Tyros 4? [Re: ianmcnll]
vangelis Offline

Loc: FLORIDA
ROLAND has to come out with an AUDYA or TYROS 4 killer with more bells and whistles to survive in the top arrangers market and good price to boot, which they are not accustomed to,so it looks like just a dream so far, for all the Roland fans.

Edited by vangelis (05/28/11 02:23 AM)

#325147 - 05/28/11 03:00 AM Re: What Don't you like about Tyros 4? [Re: Dnj]
Kabinopus Offline

Loc: Russia
What I don’t like about Tyros is that while I don’t actually need it I’m thinking about it. That’s how contemporary economy works thought.

#325178 - 05/28/11 10:40 AM Re: What Don't you like about Tyros 4? [Re: montunoman]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Originally Posted By: montunoman
1. The price
2. The color
3. The width
4. lack of new authentic Latin styles

I'm not sure if those vocal backgrounds would work for me or not.

Overall I think it's a good improvement from my T2. If I were a doctor or lawer I'd buy one:)

5. Doesn't recognize the kinds of chording I do (rootless)

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#325180 - 05/28/11 11:34 AM Re: What Don't you like about Tyros 4? [Re: montunoman]
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Originally Posted By: montunoman

Doesn't recognize the kinds of chording I do (rootless)
Hi Paul,

What "specific" rootless chord voicings do you find the Yamaha Tyros 4 lacking?
Please cite the specific chord notes played, and your desired chord recogition results.

What (if any) other arranger keyboard brand/model includes what you're looking for?

#325196 - 05/28/11 02:59 PM Re: What Don't you like about Tyros 4? [Re: Scottyee]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Hi Scott,

Here's some standard,common, run of the mill rootless voicings my Tyros 2 doesn't recognize:

minor chords using a 7,3, 5 combination are interpreted as major chords with a 2nd inversion- which of course they are.

major chords in a 7,3, 5 combination are interpreted as minor chords in 2nd inversion. Again it's the same thing...

Here a simple 4 note chord ii V I sequence in F major:

FABbD= Gm7 (with a 9) EABbD=C7 (with a 9, and 13th) EGAC=F (with major 7, and 9)

My Tyros 2 recognizes this as Bb maj7, Bb maj7 with a flat 5, and Asus.

These are standard "stock" vocings, nothing new or that I made up.

Yes, Yamaha does recongnize some rootless voicings, but it's too limited for my playing style.

Wouldn't be cool with they had a rootless jazz chord setting?

I really don't know if other brands can recognize these chords or not.

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online