SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#324631 - 05/21/11 07:52 AM Montunoman's Song Thread Missing!
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Last night, Larry Hawk posted a terrific rendition of "Black Orpheus" aka Samba de Orfeu recorded by Paul (Sz member Montunoman) and of which I included a detailed reply, but now the "entire thread" is missing. Was it deleted by accident or? confused1 I sure hope that thread and Montunoman's impressive song can be revived. - Scott

#324632 - 05/21/11 07:56 AM Re: Montunoman's Song Thread Missing! [Re: Scottyee]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Gosh, I'm not sure. I'll contact Larry. But thanks for listening Scott, wish I got to see your reply.

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#324633 - 05/21/11 08:15 AM Re: Montunoman's Song Thread Missing! [Re: Scottyee]
Dnj Offline

virus?

#324652 - 05/21/11 11:11 AM Re: Montunoman's Song Thread Missing! [Re: Dnj]
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
I'm not sure what happened to the post. Last time I saw it, there were quite a few views. The next morning it was gone. I've email Nigel but have not yet received an answer. Therefore, I'll try again in a new topic.

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#324655 - 05/21/11 12:32 PM Re: Montunoman's Song Thread Missing! [Re: Scottyee]
lahawk Offline

Ok I gave it another shot in a new topic

Click Here to be directed to a new SZ General Arranger post for Paul's recording of Black Orpheus

Again, I have no idea what happened to the original, hopefully this time it stays around for all to enjoy and comment.

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#324656 - 05/21/11 12:46 PM Re: Montunoman's Song Thread Missing! [Re: Scottyee]
Dnj Offline

Is this link clean from the bad spam pop up virus that Scott L was experiencing last night?..... that said I'd wait for Nigel's response obviously he removed the original for some reason.

Edited by Dnj (05/21/11 12:48 PM)

#324657 - 05/21/11 01:08 PM Re: Montunoman's Song Thread Missing! [Re: Scottyee]
lahawk Offline

Don,

Other than what you just reported, I have not received any reports about spam, pop ups, or virus's from the new or the original topic. The link for the song is to my Google account (File Cabinet) and the photo is also from Google Picasa. Not exactly virus territory.

Perhaps Scott L has other issues? Anyway, I can understand if Nigel removed the thread, if he thought Scott L may have had a problem, but I can wager that his computer was already infected before clicking on the link.

In fact, I clicked on it a few times to test it, Scott Yee and others also downloaded and commented with no problems.

It's maybe good you reported this, but at the same time, not so good, as now members may reluctant to download and listen to this great music. Not really fair to Paul.

Perhaps Nigel can clear it up?

Thanks

Edited by lahawk (05/21/11 01:24 PM)

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#324658 - 05/21/11 01:16 PM Re: Montunoman's Song Thread Missing! [Re: lahawk]
Dnj Offline

Ok Larry, thanx for the confirmation, just didn't want anyone else to have problems after downloading.

#324660 - 05/21/11 01:24 PM Re: Montunoman's Song Thread Missing! [Re: lahawk]
Scottyee Offline

Originally Posted By: lahawk
I can wager it was not from my posting.
I tend to concur. My wager is that Montunoman's original song thread posted by Larry was not intentionally removed at all,
but simply got zapped by accident when Nigel was removing a totally different thread, of which included a somewhat 'questionable' exchange of words.
Larry, thanks for re-posting Montunoman's song for us. I'll now go to the new thread and attempt to recap my original reply. cool

#324661 - 05/21/11 01:25 PM Re: Montunoman's Song Thread Missing! [Re: Dnj]
lahawk Offline

OK...thanks Don...and go Yankees...best the Mets

(Phillies Phan)

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#324662 - 05/21/11 01:30 PM Re: Montunoman's Song Thread Missing! [Re: lahawk]
Scott Langholff Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
I think Nigel must have seen my posts and deleted the thread so nobody else would would have the same experience I did. Besides Larry and ScottY all the other posts were mine.

I clicked on the pic the first time rather than the song title link to hear the mp3. What happened was 8 programs were downloaded on my computer. I could not stop the download. The song title link seemed to be ok. It was a google mp3 download.

The downloads were:

-Blinkx beat
-Vid Video Codec
-Shopper Reports
-Quest Spam
-Mp3 Tube Toolbar, )which wouldnt let me delete unless I supplied an email address. I gave them a false one.)
-Isp Assistant-MP3 Tube
-Homepage Protection Service
-Click Potato

I was able to delete them from the Control Panel/ad, remove programs.

A number of ad pop-up frames came up. It took over my homepage. A few times some video program took over the entire screen.

I used Malwarebytes and it removed 22 malware. Spybot came up with 0. AVG will run later today and should take care of the rest if any.

Not sure if it was from Larry's link or if it was something already on my computer. Is that possible? Hardly seems likely the way it acted.

Either way I know that it was nothing intentional by Larry or montunoman if it did come from SZ.

I still may reinstall Windows 7.

I will post on the other thread when I have more time.

Other than that, ScottY, that isn't Samba D'Orpheau. In the USA, the song is also known as "A Day in the Life of a Fool", "Carnival", "Theme from Black Orpheus", or simply "Black Orpheus". In France, the song is also known as "La Chanson D'Orphée." The song is also known by the Spanish title "Mañana de Carnaval". All versions of foreign texts were written by different people using Bonfá's original music.

Edited by Scott Langholff (05/21/11 01:38 PM)

#324663 - 05/21/11 01:40 PM Re: Montunoman's Song Thread Missing! [Re: Scottyee]
Dnj Offline

Malwarebytes is that a free download program....like Adware or?

Edited by Dnj (05/21/11 01:42 PM)

#324664 - 05/21/11 01:42 PM Re: Montunoman's Song Thread Missing! [Re: Dnj]
Scott Langholff Offline

Yes, Donnie. It's the one that even people in AT&T tech support use on their own computers.

#324665 - 05/21/11 01:42 PM Re: Montunoman's Song Thread Missing! [Re: Scottyee]
Dnj Offline

Thanx maybe I'll try the free version.

Edited by Dnj (05/21/11 01:43 PM)

#324667 - 05/21/11 01:47 PM Re: Montunoman's Song Thread Missing! [Re: Scott Langholff]
Scottyee Offline

Originally Posted By: Scott Langholff
ScottY, that isn't Samba D'Orpheau. In the USA, the song is also known as "A Day in the Life of a Fool", "Carnival", "Theme from Black Orpheus", or simply "Black Orpheus". In France, the song is also known as "La Chanson D'Orphée." The song is also known by the Spanish title "Mañana de Carnaval". All versions of foreign texts were written by different people using Bonfá's original music.

Hi ScottL: I stand corrected. blush You are absolutely right. I had meant to cite Black Orpheus' alternate title of Manhã de Carnaval. Both it and Samba De Orfeu were written by the same composer: Luiz Bonfá. cool

#324673 - 05/21/11 03:07 PM Re: Montunoman's Song Thread Missing! [Re: Scottyee]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Samba de Orfeu is a great tune too. I have head it as "Sweet Happy Life" in English. I believe both tunes were featured in a 1950's movie called "Black Orfeus" (Orfeu Negro) It's a film I've never seen but I've always wanted to check it out.

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#324675 - 05/21/11 06:15 PM Re: Montunoman's Song Thread Missing! [Re: Scott Langholff]
lahawk Offline

I clicked on the pic the first time rather than the song title link to hear the mp3. What happened was 8 programs were downloaded on my computer. I could not stop the download. The song title link seemed to be OK. It was a goggle MP download.

I'm not sure how that could happen. The only way an image can contain a virus, or malware is if it's an execution file. This was a simple embedded .jpg file. I suppose it is possible to embed a malicious link in a photo, but I assure you I didn't do that, because I'm not sure how to do that. Further the image of Paul was not a link, rather a .jpg file that becomes part of the thread, and the only option users have is to right click and download if they so desire. Accidentally left clicking on that image would do nothing because there was no execution to perform.

I'm sorry for your inconvenience, and I hope you are up and running 100% real soon, but I doubt very much your computer went crazy by accidentally left clicking on a .jpg file from a trusted fellow SZ member.

Good Luck, I feel bad for you, and again we are sorry this has happened.

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#324678 - 05/21/11 08:55 PM Re: Montunoman's Song Thread Missing! [Re: Scott Langholff]
Dnj Offline

Yes, Donnie. It's the one that even people in AT&T tech support use on their own computers.

Great program Scott thanx for the heads up... I had 3 infections removed. How often do you do a scan with it?

#324680 - 05/21/11 09:32 PM Re: Montunoman's Song Thread Missing! [Re: Scottyee]
lahawk Offline

Hi Don,

Don't want to interfere, but I've been using the free version of Malwarebytes for 3 years. I perform a quick scan about every 2-4 weeks. Before scanning, click the Update button first to check for a download of the latest database.

Malwarebytes, Super Anti-Spyware, Microsoft Security Essentials, and C-Cleaner is a good combination for me and Windows 7. And they are all free. wink

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#324681 - 05/21/11 09:42 PM Re: Montunoman's Song Thread Missing! [Re: Scottyee]
Dnj Offline

Thanx Larry Ill give the others a look also ....
I only have Ms essentials and adware...

#324683 - 05/21/11 10:52 PM Re: Montunoman's Song Thread Missing! [Re: lahawk]
Scott Langholff Offline

I clicked on the pic the first time rather than the song title link to hear the mp3. What happened was 8 programs were downloaded on my computer. I could not stop the download. The song title link seemed to be OK. It was a goggle MP download.

I'm not sure how that could happen. The only way an image can contain a virus, or malware is if it's an execution file. This was a simple embedded .jpg file. I suppose it is possible to embed a malicious link in a photo, but I assure you I didn't do that, because I'm not sure how to do that. Further the image of Paul was not a link, rather a .jpg file that becomes part of the thread, and the only option users have is to right click and download if they so desire. Accidentally left clicking on that image would do nothing because there was no execution to perform.

I'm sorry for your inconvenience, and I hope you are up and running 100% real soon, but I doubt very much your computer went crazy by accidentally left clicking on a .jpg file from a trusted fellow SZ member.

Good Luck, I feel bad for you, and again we are sorry this has happened.

Larry

No problem. I'm certain you didn't have anything to do with it. But, when you left clicked on the pic it took me to another site where that pic was posted. It was not google I can tell you that. I thought it was a video and clicked on the same pic and up comes this xVid which says you have to download a codec to make it work. The rest is history.

#324684 - 05/21/11 10:54 PM Re: Montunoman's Song Thread Missing! [Re: Dnj]
Scott Langholff Offline

Originally Posted By: Dnj

Great program Scott thanx for the heads up... I had 3 infections removed. How often do you do a scan with it?

I run the program every once in a while when I think it's a good idea to see how things are. You can get stuff anyplace these days. I always use the full scan thinking the quick scan may miss something.

#324692 - 05/22/11 04:46 AM Re: Montunoman's Song Thread Missing! [Re: Scottyee]
Dnj Offline

Thanx everyone for the PC help.....

#324729 - 05/22/11 05:37 PM Re: Montunoman's Song Thread Missing! [Re: Nigel]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
OK, now after reading this thread through I do remember that I removed it because of the reports of malware that Scott L was getting when he clicked on it. It was nothing to do with the song itself. I just needed to jog my memory cos I couldn't think of any reason I would remove a link to someone's demo. I really can't afford to leave a thread up where there are any reports of possible malware from the link in the starting post. It now seems that the problem was unrelated to the song link but the link that the picture sent you to on that original thread.

#324731 - 05/22/11 06:42 PM Re: Montunoman's Song Thread Missing! [Re: Scottyee]
lahawk Offline

Geeeszz... now it's not even safe to click on an image rolleyes

Really confused1

Can someone explain how a picture may have sent him to a bad link, that in turn filled his computer with all sorts of problems, so much so, he may need to re-insatll windows confused

While I find it hard to believe an embedded image can do such damage, we need to know if clicking an image can do such harm, and what we can do to avoid this problem in the future. If embedded pictures can indeed cause this much destruction, perhaps we should ban images in posts. I embedded that particular image from Image Shack, a site I and others have been using for some time with no problems.

Confused...but Concerned.

Thanks

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#324733 - 05/22/11 07:24 PM Re: Montunoman's Song Thread Missing! [Re: lahawk]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Geeeszz... now it's not even safe to click on an image rolleyes

It is nothing to do with the embedded image itself. But if the image is associated with a link then like any link it can take you anywhere. It seems that somehow the link in the original thread was not a URL directly to the image itself.

#324739 - 05/23/11 01:27 AM Re: Montunoman's Song Thread Missing! [Re: lahawk]
Scott Langholff Offline

Hi Larry

I'm pretty sure Image Shack is the name of the site that I was taken to when I saw the curser show over the pic and then clicked on the pic. Once on the site where the pic was I looked around to see what to do next. Thinking maybe it was a video I clicked on the pic on that site and then I remember xVid and saying I needed to download a codec to make it work, when in fact I find out now it wasn't even a video but a pic.

For a while I wondered if somebody hacked SZ and did the dirty trick.

#324740 - 05/23/11 01:47 AM Re: Montunoman's Song Thread Missing! [Re: Scott Langholff]
Nigel Offline
Admin

For a while I wondered if somebody hacked SZ and did the dirty trick.

Nope
sofa

#324743 - 05/23/11 03:20 AM Re: Montunoman's Song Thread Missing! [Re: Nigel]
Scott Langholff Offline

lol. That guy behind the couch about sums it up rotfl

#324761 - 05/23/11 10:52 AM Re: Montunoman's Song Thread Missing! [Re: Scottyee]
lahawk Offline

So in the end it seems like Image Shack was the culprit.

It's a safer and better option to link photos from Google's Picasa Web Album, as I as did in the new posting.

PS: The guy behind the couch is funny smile

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#324783 - 05/23/11 03:34 PM Re: Montunoman's Song Thread Missing! [Re: lahawk]
Scott Langholff Offline

I just went to Image Shack to see if it looked familiar and it didn't. I don't remember any picture of a frog. It seems the site name was in the upper left corner and it was blue lettering. Makes me wonder how I landed on what I remember to be a different looking site.

Back, behind the couch now rotf2

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online