SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#324542 - 05/19/11 09:28 PM To thine own self be true!
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
I played a new restaurant last night, and I knew from the start of the second set that it was not going to be a great "fit" for me. I knew this because the club owner came up to me and told me what the room needed. Now, it's HIS place, and he can make the call he wants, but from my viewpoint, the stuff he wanted was not right for the crowd I had. We spoke for a minute or two, and I added a healthy dose of his requests ... which I would have done ANYWAY, but in a different order and pacing and he left a happy camper. I was invited back and I got paid. I also got numerous requests from the bartender and the customers for all the stuff he DIDN'T want. I was tipped, they danced and we all had a pretty good night overall.

Why the post, then? I HATED the gig. OK - I even said GIG.
It was all work - no fun using someone else's setlist - hell - I don't use MY OWN setlist! My point is that I knew the job was not a good fit for me, and so I graciously declined to return. I passed up a vertical Wednesday for what could have been 6 months of work, and I feel good about the decision. Even when music was my 100% income, I tried to only work where I was happy - life's too short to be miserable at work ... especially in the arts! So - my advice to you all is something I heard on M*A*S*H once, and I never really understood ... but it sounds wise:
"My friends, take my advise ..... roll down your pants, and slide on the ice!"
(Sydney Freedman - psych. Dr)

I hope I never have to work just for the money. What a miserable old sot I'd be.
So ..... would YOU do what I did, or would you conform to something you knew in your heart was wrong ... just for the steady paycheck?
Things that make you go .... hmmmmmmmm.....

(I bet TOP never plays songs that stuffy club owners tell them to!!) smile

Attachments
signing5.JPG

#324543 - 05/19/11 09:30 PM Re: To thine own self be true! [Re: Uncle Dave]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Sayyyyy - where's the caption for the picture? Doesn't it show up?

#324544 - 05/19/11 09:49 PM Re: To thine own self be true! [Re: Uncle Dave]
Dnj Offline

What does the picture have to do with the story?.. confused

I say you got paid....no prob just move on there are lots of other "GIGS".. that said, ....I hate bar/restaurant gigs and after 25 years of doing them with the band off and on because my private jobs always prevailed as a OMB I have been lucky to never play them, ( maybe a few times for fill ins, etc, MY CHOICE, I've turned down numerous request to do them also in my area, YUK.... long hours for not much pay, drunks, and aggravation as you explained, that alone turns me off. Dave I'm sure you'll be OK with many more "GIGS" coming up all summer,......
plus now you get more time in the pool too wink

good luck

Edited by Dnj (05/19/11 10:00 PM)

#324545 - 05/19/11 10:16 PM Re: To thine own self be true! [Re: Dnj]
Tony Hughes Offline

Donny,

Dave could go and play golf with DonM, and at night target golf!

He might meet a doll or two!
Tyros 4/Pair SR 350/ PC with a i8 intel chip, XENYX 802, Ford Focus 2 litre/Tascam DR07/Brother printer/Designjet 500/ our Doris/5 Grandchildren/ white boxers short Kymart shipped over and Typhoo Tea Earl Grey

#324546 - 05/19/11 10:37 PM Re: To thine own self be true! [Re: Tony Hughes]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: Tony Hughes

Donny,

Dave could go and play golf with DonM, and at night target golf!

He might meet a doll or two!

Dave play golf?..... Oh My !! coffee

#324547 - 05/19/11 11:10 PM Re: To thine own self be true! [Re: Uncle Dave]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
I hate "work"...that's why I became a "player".

I have never "worked" a day in my life. I am lazy.

Now don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with hard work and long hours per se...and, if you don't mind relinquishing your health, your family life, the rest of your life, your spiritual evolution, and, you are willing to settle for a prosaic achievement .

Virtue is the proper use of energy. Your individual freedom is your highest priority. You are only free the moment you decide to be free and you can change your life in the blink of an eye.

We're "spiritual" beings born into a "carnal" world in order to cleanse our eternal soul. To spend such a precious slice of existence in this dimension working hard and stressing out, is a foolish waste of time and energy.

Be lazy, become a musician (or whatever you love to do) and enjoy it...you'll live longer and pay less taxes.

Ian

#324553 - 05/20/11 05:10 AM Re: To thine own self be true! [Re: Uncle Dave]
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Pardon my ignorance but who is pictured with the mega-rig ?

Bernie

#324554 - 05/20/11 05:24 AM Re: To thine own self be true! [Re: Bernie9]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Originally Posted By: Bernie9
Pardon my ignorance but who is pictured with the mega-rig ?

Bernie

Hi Bernie,

That is me.

Taken at a gig many years ago...mid 70's I think.

Ian

#324555 - 05/20/11 05:40 AM Re: To thine own self be true! [Re: Uncle Dave]
hammer Offline

Loc: Texas
Hi Dave,
I have come to the same conclusion and even with only my "senior gigs" I book only those places with a really feel good atmosphere. I have over 70 places I book and a few of them have turned into "jobs" because of management changes. What makes me return to a few of those "jobs" is at every one of them there will always be a few of the residents who live for the entertainers who arrive.

Deane

#324557 - 05/20/11 06:00 AM Re: To thine own self be true! [Re: Uncle Dave]
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
Been there, done that Dave...

You won't miss it whatsoever...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online