SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#323677 - 05/08/11 02:56 AM Pan Flute for T4
Anthony Johnson Offline

Loc: Sheffield Yorkshire England
Can anyone point me to where I may be able to purchase a single custom (UVN) voice for the Tyros4?

I watched "The Solitaire - Spielt Fantasie 2" on You Tube and this is exactly the fantastic Pan Flute I've been looking for, for quite some time (to play this same melody and also, another particular tune recorded by Gheorge Zamfir).

I consider the pan flutes on the Tyros4 to be complete rubbish (KN7000 not much better) and I am aware that Yamaha sell a better one in their pan flute pack but theirs is not as good as this (for my purposes anyway).

My problem is twofold,
1. is that, at the moment, I really only want this one voice ... and it seems impossible to buy voices singly from any source
2. that I find it difficult due to currency differences, to buy things from anywhere other than the UK - mainly because I have never, and will not ever, consider using my credit card over the computer and certainly not with an unkown vendor.

Despite my only needing the one voice, I would be willing to purchase the entire pack if anyone in the UK has purchased it and decided that they don't want it - I have heard more than one person say that they were disapointed with the sounds - we don't all have the same tastes and probably hear things differently but this particular one sounds like a gem to me.
Thanks in advance for any info,
Tony

#323842 - 05/10/11 12:09 PM Re: Pan Flute for T4 [Re: Anthony Johnson]
Eric, B Offline

Loc: Ventura, Ca, USA
Hi Tony,
Here are a couple of new premium pan flute voices for the T4:
http://www.music-tyros.com/tyros4/features/premium/panflute.html
They are not the same as the Solitaire, but might work for you.
There are a couple of demo videos too.
Hope this helps.
Eric

#323870 - 05/10/11 04:33 PM Re: Pan Flute for T4 [Re: Anthony Johnson]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Tony,

Personally, I like the pan-flute I hear coming from the PSR-3000, and I assume that it's not much different on the T4. However, one of the great aspects of Yamaha's arranger keyboards is the Voice Creator program, which allows you to modify any existing voice and make it the way YOU want it to sound. It's a fantastic feature that is incredibly versatile and user friendly. I posted this on the PSR-Tutorial forum a few weeks ago and a lot of folks are now having fun working with this program:

During the past several months I've received numerous requests for step by step guidelines to modifying Yamaha's Grand Piano voice so it can be used on a mono sound system such as the Bose L1 and Bose L1 Compact. Today is a cold, rainy day, I didn't have a music job scheduled, and it was too nasty to work on my boat. Therefore it's a good day for this kind of project.

In my case I use the PSR-3000, which by today's standards, is somewhat antiquated. Fortunately, the onboard keyboard programs remained pretty much unchanged, so the following instructions should apply to all keyboards since the inception of the PSR-3000.

The problem is not limited to just Yamaha's Grand Piano voice--it applies to all voices that use complex, stereo sampling. The Grand Piano voice, however, provides a classic example, particularly when the keyboard's audio output is fired into a mono sound system. The piano tends to sound somewhat thin and tinny. The option is to purchase a full, stereo sound system, which in my case would amount to a pair of Bose L1s, or modify an existing, mono, piano voice. Obviously, the second option is far less expensive. So, here we go:

1. Select a piano voice from the GM & XG or GM piano voices. You'll find them by pressing any voice button, such as piano, then press UP. You'll usually find the GM & XG and GM voices on the 2nd page of voices.

2. Select the Grand Piano and press Exit until you get back to the keyboard's Main Screen. Keep in mind that this is the same procedure for every voice you wish to modify, therefore if you were going to modify a steel guitar, you would take the same steps.

3. After exiting to the main screen, press the Sound Creator button. In some of the newer keyboards this particular program may have to be accessed by going through the Digital Recording page.

4. When the Sound Creator program opens you will see Sound Creator: Grand Piano at the top of the page. Just beneath that line you will see a series of tabs you can work with: Common, Controller, Sound, Effect/EQ, Harmony. All of these pages provide you with an enormous amount of editing capability for nearly all the sound parameters.

5. As you work your way through the editing tools, you can compare your results to the original voice by merely pressing the "D" button next to the black box that says COMPARE.

6. On the Effects/EQ Page there are three levels of effects that can be accessed by scrolling up or down using the "A" and "B" buttons on the upper left side of the display. The tools on this page are very powerful and it's here where you can be very creative. Again, using the Compare button allows you to hear the results of your modifications.

7. When you've finished modifying the voice, you must now save it to a specific location used for USER voices. User voices are those that you can readily access during a performance, the location of which varies between keyboard models. In the case of the PSR-3000, there is a USER VOICE button on the right side of the keyboard where you find all of the other preset voices. The SAVE button is next to the "I" button on the right side of the display. Press SAVE, then select where you wish the voice to be saved by using the TAB Button. It can be saved in the keyboard's onboard memory in the USER area, or you can save it to your Smart Media or USB Thumb drive, or all three. After selecting the area to store the file, Press SAVE at the bottom of the screen, then provide the sound with a name and press OK. The file is now saved to that location.

Accessing those modified voices during a performance is relatively quick and easy. Again, the PSR-3000 has a User Voice button where I store my modified voices, which provides instant access to those modified voices.

Lets assume that you are planning on playing a song that has the normal, stereo, grand piano voice. That voice will be displayed in the R1 location on the keyboard's main screen. Merely press the button next to R1, which on the PSR-3000 is the "F" Button, then tab to USER and select the modified Grand Piano--it's that easy.

I hope this information is helpful to those who requested it.

Good Luck,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#323873 - 05/10/11 04:51 PM Re: Pan Flute for T4 [Re: Eric, B]
Anthony Johnson Offline

Hi Eric,
Thanks for your input - I have decided that I most probably will buy Yamaha's pan flute package although I'm still hopeful that I may find a source for the Solitaire pan flute as I still, much prefer the sound of that one.
Best wishes,
Tony

#323874 - 05/10/11 05:10 PM Re: Pan Flute for T4 [Re: travlin'easy]
Anthony Johnson Offline

Hi Gary,
I have already tried your suggestion of editing a pan flute voice - spent many hours at it but failed completely to get anywhere near the sound I have in my head. Thanks for the suggestion anyway - it may have worked if I wasn't so useless at voice edits - I always know what I want but can never achieve it and have never yet done an edit which sounded good.

What I'm looking for is the George Zhamfir sound really - a sort of cross between Yamaha's new SA Pan Flute Pack and that of the pan flute which the Solitaire uses but leaning more towards Solitaires sound because it's brighter and the vibrato sounds more alive and less flat than Yamaha's. I find all Yamaha's pan flutes to be too flat when playing long sustained notes though they might be passable on quick pieces.
Best wishes,
Tony

#323879 - 05/10/11 05:45 PM Re: Pan Flute for T4 [Re: Anthony Johnson]
Eric, B Offline

Loc: Ventura, Ca, USA
Hi Tony,
Did you get my e-mail?
Eric

#323881 - 05/10/11 05:55 PM Re: Pan Flute for T4 [Re: Anthony Johnson]
mdorantes Offline

Loc: Queretaro, Mexico
Hi:
I have to tell you that the S.A.2 Pan flute is totally different than the "stock" sounds, there is such a huge change in the dynamic range (touch) besides the Super Articulation.

I have purchase this premium sound(there are 2 Pan Flutes), to install this voice you need a USB Drive, I am posting the link you need to visit, is needed to generate on your T4 with a USB drive, and follow the instructions.

http://www.yamahamusicsoft.com/en/instrument/Keyboard/Tyros4/product/1173037?currency=USD

I do understand your concern regarding the Credit card issue, I suggest to purchase a Visa or MasterCard "Gift card", after you register it to it's seller, you can make purchase on line without linking it to your personal and or bank accounts information. This way is safe and no worries. keys
I hope it helps you. cool

#323930 - 05/11/11 07:16 AM Re: Pan Flute for T4 [Re: mdorantes]
Anthony Johnson Offline

Hi Manuel,
Yes, I think I will be going ahead with the purchase of Yamaha's S.A.2. Pan Flute.

Thanks for the info regarding paying for things over the internet - this is all new ground to me and I didn't want to compromise our personal details so I will look into your suggestion of Visa / MasterCard "Gift Cards"

Your help, together with that of Eric and Gary is much appreciated.
Best wishes,
Tony

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online