Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#323570 - 05/06/11 02:26 PM Re: Roland AT350c has landed [Re: Fran Carango]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Originally Posted By: Fran Carango
Ian, stop trying to sucker punch Roland smile

Surely you jest, Fran?

Can't anyone ask a simple question without getting the 3rd degree?

Be nice...no one's trying anything shady here...it's just your suspicious nature coming out again.

Read my post, and you will see I was asking John the question...not you...if I wanted an answer from you, I would have asked now, wouldn't I? You don't have a AT350C, but John does. He is the qualified one here. Not you.

So, John, let me rephrase this to keep Fran happy...if these aren't SuperNatural voices are they GS voices? GM voices?

Ian

#323571 - 05/06/11 02:33 PM Re: Roland AT350c has landed [Re: Fran Carango]
ianmcnll Offline

They are the standard one touch settings..the same you will find on the low E-50...so you can't slam the sax sound and compare to the Yamaha best sax patch..

Fran, where in my post do you see me "slam the sax sound"?

Where did I compare it to Yamaha's best sax patch?

Man, you gotta lighten up.

Ian

#323573 - 05/06/11 02:50 PM Re: Roland AT350c has landed [Re: ianmcnll]
Sweentech1 Offline

Loc: Scotland, UK.
I am not 100% certain about the sax in demo #4. It sounds like an Active Expression sax, not Supernatural. #5 is definately Supernatural.

A few other sounds worth mentioning.. the strings are phenominal (in my opinion) and there is a lot of variety and expression in them. Flutes are very good too. I didn't actually go through all the patches today, or the styles. I will try them all out, as this is an arranger discussion, and I'll report back. But to be honest I can't wait to play it like an organ! I am with Jazzhooves on that one!

Fran the Jupiter 80 has a much more complex version of Supernatural technology in it. You will need to wait to try it for yourself. It is much better than this, I was literally shocked to the core when I heard it being demonstrated at the NAMM show (it was hidden away from the main show so not everyone could see it, as it still was not quite finished)
What makes it really special is how it just fits into your normal way of playing, without the need for you to press additional buttons etc. he controllers you normally use when playing are used to make supernatural sounds come to life.

I wasn't going to say anything but just one little thing if I may.... stop let's not be negative about this in any way. Let people make up their own mind whether they like it or not. As ever, the proof is in the pudding, and you must try it for yourself at your nearest dealer to get the playing experience. This can never come across properly in a video. Ultimately we are players first, and listeners second! Peace and goodwill to all men!

#323574 - 05/06/11 03:07 PM Re: Roland AT350c has landed [Re: Sweentech1]
ianmcnll Offline

Originally Posted By: Sweentech1
I am not 100% certain about the sax in demo #4. It sounds like an Active Expression sax, not Supernatural. #5 is definately Supernatural.

A few other sounds worth mentioning.. the strings are phenominal (in my opinion) and there is a lot of variety and expression in them. Flutes are very good too. But to be honest I can't wait to play it like an organ! I am with Jazzhooves on that one!

Thank you kindly, John...Active Expression is a new term to me...is it an improved GS type sound? Some kind of multi-sampling?

I thought the Cello sound in demo #7 was great...would that be another Active Expression sound?

Playing it like an organ is what it's designed for, but, it has to have more than "organ" voices...that's the idea behind this instrument, is it not?

It is meant to give the organ player more options?

The non-organ sounds should be of reasonably good quality...at least as good as the instrument's organ sound (which is excellent, by the way).

The only "negativity" in these posts seems to have been introduced by Fran with his accusatory tone regarding my query...I'm merely asking the same questions any customer would ask.

Ian

#323576 - 05/06/11 03:27 PM Re: Roland AT350c has landed [Re: Sweentech1]
Sweentech1 Offline

Quote:
Playing it like an organ is what it's designed for, but, it has to have more than "organ" voices...that's the idea behind this instrument, is it not? To give the organ player more options?

I think what Jazzhooves referred to may have meant that it should be played with your limbs and perhaps some rhythm backing but not a full arranger backing. I see great benefits to both methods of play, and I enjoy them both. The recent convention on European organ playing style is to not have a full arranger behind you. You also need a pedalboard.

At350c seems to be a good fit for people who want an arranger at times, and an organ (like I described above) some of the time too. For people who just want a hammond sound to fit in with a band, and perhaps some other quality sampled sounds to throw in too, it is also a good choice due to it's portability and dual manual setup. I can see it may do well for Roland, and I am quite keen to get stuck in about it.

I think the cello is a Supernatural sound from recollection. Active Expression is a term used in different ways on different devices. I first was aware of it with the VR760 where you could use your expression pedal to swell an additional tone through the organ or the organ through the other tone, or both crossing paths at the same time.

However on the Atelier it seems to mean something different. Your expression pedal adds more expression to the sound, not just a volume change. I'm not too sure how to describe it really, it's the first time I have had an Atelier in the store, so I have a lot to learn until I am an oracle of all it's capabilities! I did try it with an EV7 though and it adds 'something.'

Quote:
The only "negativity" in these posts seems to have been introduced by Fran with his accusatory tone regarding my query...I'm merely asking the same questions any customer would ask.
party [whistles while saying nothing - I'm not getting involved!]

#323581 - 05/06/11 03:55 PM Re: Roland AT350c has landed [Re: Sweentech1]
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Playing it like an organ is what it's designed for, but, it has to have more than "organ" voices...that's the idea behind this instrument, is it not? To give the organ player more options?

I think what Jazzhooves referred to may have meant that it should be played with your limbs and perhaps some rhythm backing but not a full arranger backing. I see great benefits to both methods of play, and I enjoy them both. The recent convention on European organ playing style is to not have a full arranger behind you. You also need a pedalboard.

[/i]

I see where you are coming from, although, on the other hand, many modern organists, including Leigh, are using far more orchestral sounds, especially big sounds like strings and brass mixtures etc.

Of course simplicity is good too.

Can you assign that great cello sound to the pedal-board?

Ian

#323582 - 05/06/11 03:57 PM Re: Roland AT350c has landed [Re: Sweentech1]
Sweentech1 Offline

I'm not sure about that Ian. I'll need to investigate.

#323628 - 05/07/11 09:45 AM Re: Roland AT350c has landed [Re: Sweentech1]
ianmcnll Offline

I'm not sure about that Ian. I'll need to investigate.

Thanks John, and while you're at it, can you check on something else when you get the pedal board?

It looked to me, on at least two of the demos, that you could do a pitch bend via a switch or switches on either side of the expression pedal.

Can you confirm that when you are able?

If so, that is very good news, indeed.

Ian

#323634 - 05/07/11 11:45 AM Re: Roland AT350c has landed [Re: Fran Carango]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
I just beat you to the punch...it was coming smile

You are totally paranoid. Maybe I should start beating people to the punch too when I see what is coming.

Keep the discussion to equipment and drop the psychic premonitions.

#323639 - 05/07/11 01:00 PM Re: Roland AT350c has landed [Re: jazzhooves]
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
Originally Posted By: jazzhooves
Why is that all the demos i see are using BACKING groups.
IT'S AN ORGAN! So therefore, we want to see it played as such. I would buy one IF i thought it was a serious contender as a replacement for the Wersi.

I want to see it played as a ORGAN!

Smoke On The Water

----------
Is it OK to have a live percussion?

Just The Way You Are

----------

One more (my favorite) with an excellent organ sound...yes heaven forgive her...she may have used a style backing track!

Close To You

smile Her "You Tube" Subscribe Channel smile

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online