SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#323157 - 04/29/11 06:05 AM Re: Songs I Recorded For Mother's Day (May 8th, 2011) [Re: Scottyee]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Scott enjoyed the tunes, especially "The Best is Yet to Come." Very nice!

#323159 - 04/29/11 07:12 AM Re: Songs I Recorded For Mother's Day (May 8th, 2011) [Re: Scottyee]
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Thanks Montunoman and Steve for your nice comments. I do believe there are both advantages and disadvantages to auto accomp mode and or utlizing backing tracks. I agree with you that auto accomp offers a lot more perf. flexibility, soloing, on the fly chord sub, etc. I think both have a place in live performance work though. On my solo perf gigs, I play in auto accomp/solo keyboard mode 95 percent of the time, reserving backing tracks for 2-3 songs to free me up to step from behind the keyboard and into the audience. I called upon backing tracks for these tunes because it was part of a production rec project that specically required these fixed arragements and song timing, plus it allowed me to focus on singing. In contrast, the MP3 song demos featured on my website were all performed and recorded live in auto accomp arranger mode. - Scott cool

#323160 - 04/29/11 07:33 AM Re: Songs I Recorded For Mother's Day (May 8th, 2011) [Re: Scottyee]
Dnj Offline

Let's not forget the talent it takes to create good backing tracks also....Good job Scott!......I think your only "cheating" your self by NOT exploring all other methods of musical creation to widen your abilities. I try to do it all throughout my career as a pro musician and proud of it. Life is too short.. wink

#323221 - 04/30/11 12:37 PM Re: Songs I Recorded For Mother's Day (May 8th, 2011) [Re: Dnj]
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Originally Posted By: Dnj
I think your only "cheating" your self by NOT exploring all other methods of musical creation to widen your abilities.
Donny, I agree ! cool
The willingness to keep an open mind to experiment & try out different ideas, methods, and ways of doing things is an important ingredient to the creative music making process.
I certainly had fun recording the above songs. smile

#323224 - 04/30/11 12:59 PM Re: Songs I Recorded For Mother's Day (May 8th, 2011) [Re: Scottyee]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: Scottyee
I think your only "cheating" your self by NOT exploring all other methods of musical creation to widen your abilities.
Donny, I agree ! cool
The willingness to keep an open mind to experiment & try out different ideas, methods, and ways of doing things is an important ingredient to the creative music making process.

Scott good thinking...we are very lucky in this day and age to experiment with so many musical creation options then ever before in our lifetime with new avenues being released every day. To be stuck and ignorant of opening up yourself as a musician to them would be a big mistake as we learn every day from what we see & hear, filtering in little bits of it all makes for a very special recipe that is unique to yourself and to your audiences. I'm glad to see your one of the people that "Gets It"....Good luck to you.

#323232 - 04/30/11 01:59 PM Re: Songs I Recorded For Mother's Day (May 8th, 2011) [Re: Dnj]
Dnj Offline

Heres Dante having fun with friends using a combination SFM backing track & a Hammond kinds frees you up to do other things while playing along.

#323234 - 04/30/11 02:15 PM Re: Songs I Recorded For Mother's Day (May 8th, 2011) [Re: Scottyee]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Originally Posted By: Scottyee
Donny, I agree ! cool

I certainly agree, Scott,...we should always keep an open mind to new ideas.

Certainly, it is your delivery of these tunes that give them such quality. I've sent them to several people "in the business" and they all agree you have your own style, and you put your own stamp on a tune.

I wish I could sing half as good as you...you have a real talent, and I consider you one of the best vocalists here on SZ.

Plus, you can get down and play keyboards with the best of them.

Ian

#323236 - 04/30/11 02:31 PM Re: Songs I Recorded For Mother's Day (May 8th, 2011) [Re: Scottyee]
Bernie9 Online   content

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Donny
That is a great example for the purists that think backing tracks are cheating and should not be allowed.

I enjoyed it.
Bernie

#323237 - 04/30/11 02:36 PM Re: Songs I Recorded For Mother's Day (May 8th, 2011) [Re: Bernie9]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Originally Posted By: Bernie9
That is a great example for the purists that think backing tracks are cheating and should not be allowed.

You're right Bernie, it sounded great indeed. That guy is a fine singer.

It just didn't look very good, in my opinion.

Ian

#323240 - 04/30/11 03:45 PM Re: Songs I Recorded For Mother's Day (May 8th, 2011) [Re: Bernie9]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: Bernie9
Donny

I enjoyed it.
Bernie

Bernie thats just ONE example...most people that claim to be purists couldn't hold a candle to that and are just talk anyway.....as I always say...what it sounds like with your eyes closed is all tat matters. It takes more experience and talent to be flexible in your playing ability & skills. There are no rules, I would assume looking at this guys gear that he made his own SMF tracks also...nice job.......enjoy what you do.. smile...then if you can, make other people enjoy it also.

Edited by Dnj (04/30/11 03:47 PM)

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online