SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#322917 - 04/26/11 04:16 PM Re: KN7000 midi connections [Re: RJB]
Bob Hendershot Offline

Loc: Johnson City, TN USA
Hi Dick,

Got the manuals OK. I believe I now know what is going on.

The XMc-2 controller and XM-2 sound module appear to be designed to work with dumb midi controller keyboards that only send on one channel. They are not capable of distinguishing data coming over different channels. That means that the many channels being sent by the KN7000 are confusing the Hammond gear and we need to make the KN7000 act like a dumb midi controller keyboard.

This is what I would do:

CABLES: Connect the KN7000 midi OUT to the XMc-2 controller midi IN. Connect the special HMC-1 cable between the XMc-2 controller and the XM-2 sound module.

KN7000: At the KN7000 press Program Menus – Midi – Midi Presets (Page 194 of the KN7000 manual). At the Midi Presets display, go to page 2 and select Sound Module and click OK. That sets up the KN7000 as the master with Right Hand 1 notes being sent out midi channel 1. Other stuff is sent on other channels. That may confuse the XMc-2 controller. So I believe all the other channels need to be turned off.

Exit to the Program Menus Midi display and select Part Setting (Page 190 of your KN7000 manual). That display shows all the various Parts and the midi channel assigned to each part. At the Channel column, set all the Parts to OFF except RIGHT 1, which should show as being set to channel 1. Be sure to scroll down the PART column to set all parts to off except Right 1.

If you use KN7000 Panel Memories to change rhythm and voicing as most of us do, be sure that the Expanded Mode filter is set to off for midi settings.

I believe that should solve your problem. At least that’s my best guess. It’s hard to work without having the hardware here.

#322982 - 04/27/11 06:04 AM Re: KN7000 midi connections [Re: RJB]
Bob Hendershot Offline

Dick, I guess I should have said that if the above works, be sure to save the midi setup in one of the user settings so you don't have to keep doing all that work over and over again. See the top of page 195 of your manual.

#323050 - 04/27/11 04:13 PM Re: KN7000 midi connections [Re: Bob Hendershot]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
The XMc-2 controller and XM-2 sound module are designed to work with two upper sets of keys and a pedal board. So when you connect it to your organ it works fine.
Midi is sent to the controller – the controller sends midi to the sound module.

I do not own tis unit so this is “Guess work”.
If the controller is receiving three different midi singles, Upper keys, Lower keys, and the pedal board and sending them to the sound module that means it is receiving on three different channels. The organ is sending three different sets of data on one midi channel to the two units, and as you say it works.
Then your job is to find how your organ is doing this. If I remember correctly you can send more than one midi single through a single channel; meaning that you can send 16 midi channels through the send midi channel one. (Possibly more)

This next step is difficult without having the unit.

If you have determined that the organ is using Channel one and sending three different midi singles on that channel – Then you must select the same channels on your Kn7 keyboard and send them out on channel one. Midi out to the units.

I think of midi very much like a garden hose, or better still an electric wire. The water starts somewhere and it must end up somewhere. I can water three bushes in different places with one water hose by use a water controller.

This unit does not seem to work like the modules that we are familiar with. It was designed for a single purpose.

John C
If I remember correctly Bernie owns one of these units, he may be the man.

#323063 - 04/27/11 07:57 PM Re: KN7000 midi connections [Re: RJB]
Bob Hendershot Offline

You are mostly right, John. If you bypass the controller and go directly to the sound module you can send upper, lower, and pedal data to the sound module on channels 1, 2, and 3. Dick has not been able to make that work. He wants to use the controller. I can't find any place in the controller manual to set channels. And, the thing says it can receive midi data from a keyboard regardless of the channel used (with no channel setting at the module). Which implies to me that it is insensitive to midi channels and would be confused by multiple channel data being received. The sample setups show use of one or two single channel midi keyboards. When two keyboards are used each sends midi data over it's own cable, one going to the controller and the other going to the sound module.

I think the best thing to do is to try to get a single channel working and build from there.

I got new symptom info from Dick in an email a few minutes ago that sheds more light. Will continue to work with him by email.

Meanwhile, would be great to hear from Bernie (or anyone else) if he does in fact have one of the Hammond units, and has used it with a KN7000.

Edited by Bob Hendershot (04/27/11 08:10 PM)

#323075 - 04/28/11 05:57 AM Re: KN7000 midi connections [Re: Bob Hendershot]
RJB Offline

Loc: Auburn, N Y, U S
Wow ! Guess I opened a can of worms on this one . Thanks for all the help and suggestions everyone . Please keep it coming . I have asked Hammond for help as well , but so far no reply .

#323145 - 04/29/11 12:26 AM Re: KN7000 midi connections [Re: RJB]
HarryG Offline

Loc: Germany
Hi,

usually this is fairly easy!
I play the combination of KN 7000 with the sound module of Ketron SD 2 Here's the link:

http://www.ketron.com/itemdetails.asp?mod=SD2

There are several ways to connect the KN 7000 SD 2 (different keyboard or synthesizer)

I have it set that I play the sounds from the SD 2 Right 2, and only the sounds of the KN 7000 on Right 1

Midi Preset - is a necessary - I have all the midi channels, except Right 2 are set to "OFF. " Right 2 is only on Channel 2 This sounds like just the sound of the SD 2, one has to Channel 2, the sounds of the KN 7000 block. This is in Midi - Part Setting "Local" to the OFF position.

Using the Panel Memory Output "Program Change and MIDI Out" I choose the sound of the SD 2 at. It is possible, these settings permanently stored on the SD card and to call again.

It is difficult for me to write in detail in a foreign language. I hope you can understand it.

Just as with the SD 2 deals with the Hammond. The sound of the Hammond numbers are in the Reference Guide of the Hammond.

#323147 - 04/29/11 01:21 AM Re: KN7000 midi connections [Re: RJB]
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Thank you for posting.
I have an SD2 but have never used it with my KN7000, I understand the part setting for R2, but don't understand how you can choose which sounds you play from the SD2.
Bernie

#323148 - 04/29/11 01:21 AM Re: KN7000 midi connections [Re: HarryG]
HarryG Offline

Hi,

Read in this Operating Instruction Part XIII - Midi: 186 page. In particular, the pages 194 - 196

#323149 - 04/29/11 01:33 AM Re: KN7000 midi connections [Re: Bernie9]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Originally Posted By: Bernie9
Thank you for posting.
I have an SD2 but have never used it with my KN7000, I understand the part setting for R2, but don't understand how you can choose which sounds you play from the SD2.
Bernie

Hi Bernie

You need to send a program change message to select the sound program you want on the SD2, follow my previous link http://www.tweakheadz.com/how_to_get_started_with_midi.html to see how it all interacts.

Hope this helps

Bill

#323151 - 04/29/11 04:04 AM Re: KN7000 midi connections [Re: abacus]
HarryG Offline

Hi Bernie,

Look in your mail. I've sent you an example.
Connection: Midi Out KN 7000 - Midi In SD 2
L / R SD 2 - Aux in KN 7000 or in the mixer.

Download the file being sent.

I have to PM 1 (Right 2, channel 2) the clarinet program 72 MSB 0 from the SD 2
PM 2 Strings Prg. 50 MSB 0
PM 3 Trumpet Prg. 57 MSB 0
PM 4,guitar Prg. 25 MSB 1
PM 5 JazzOrgan2 Prg.18 MSB 1
PM 6 Tenor Sax Prg.67 MSB 1
PM 7 Musette Prg.22 MSB 0
PM 8 Grand Piano Prg.1 MSB 0
permanently stored.

If you press the keyboard from the KN 7000, do you hear at first only a piano sound.
You must then press Panel Memory 1, so that the programs are activated by "Panel Memory Output".

Right to 1, the same instruments are the KN 7000 Transition between Right 2 and Reight 1 to hear the difference.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online