SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#322489 - 04/21/11 11:48 AM KN7000 midi connections
RJB Offline

Loc: Auburn, N Y, U S
Hello everyone----I could use some suggestions please . I recently purchased a hammond organ sound module and controller to connect to my KN7000 via midi cable . So far after umteen tries I am still on square one and nothing to show for my efforts . It almost seems as though the KN7000 is the slave and the sound module is the master . All connections have been carefully followed as outlined in the module's owners manual . I have been successful in connecting to my home organ and all worked just fine , so I have been following directions faithfully . But I must be missing something on the KN7000 . Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated . Dick Bergin

#322498 - 04/21/11 03:05 PM Re: KN7000 midi connections [Re: RJB]
peter b Offline

Loc: nottinghamshire, UK
I would say that if you want the KN7 to be the master, then a connection from MIDI IN on the KN7 to MIDI OUT on the Hammond should be what you want.
Switch of both instruments. Connect the cables. and then switch the instruments back on.
Make sure that the Midi IN on the KNis not set to base pedal function.

Regards
Peter B

#322506 - 04/21/11 04:46 PM Re: KN7000 midi connections [Re: peter b]
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
I think you have that the wrong way round Peter smile For the KN7000 to be Master, then it has to SEND MIDI signals TO the Hammond via the KN7000 MIDI OUT..........

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#322517 - 04/21/11 07:27 PM Re: KN7000 midi connections [Re: RJB]
Bob Hendershot Offline

Loc: Johnson City, TN USA
I haven't worked with midi for about 15 years. But, this is what I remember.

Master and slave refers to the clock source. If you want the sound module to create sounds using the KN7000 as the "note" source, you need to do as Bill says by connecting the midi out of the KN7000 to midi in of the sound module. You need to decide what notes of the KN7000 you want to use to make the sound module "sound". Then set that note source (probably Right Hand) to the midi channel that you choose to use. Then be sure the Hammond is set to receive on that same channel. I would use the KN7000 as the clock source so it would be considered the master.

What you do with the output of the sound module is a matter of choice. I assume the output is audio, not midi. So the audio out of the module would go to your amplifier input. That could be the aux input of the KN7000.

#322522 - 04/22/11 01:53 AM Re: KN7000 midi connections [Re: Bill Norrie]
peter b Offline

Loc: nottinghamshire, UK
Hi Bill.
I thought after I had posted that I may have it the wrong way round as I haven't anything to check it with now.
It is a while since I did anything with Midi except with my 13 note pedalboard with the KN7000.

regards
Peter B

Edited by peter b (04/22/11 01:54 AM)

#322523 - 04/22/11 02:00 AM Re: KN7000 midi connections [Re: RJB]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Sit down for about 10 minuites or so and have a read of this http://www.tweakheadz.com/how_to_get_started_with_midi.html you should then be able to set up your equipment to do what you want.
Hope this helps

Bill

#322739 - 04/25/11 07:41 AM Re: KN7000 midi connections [Re: RJB]
RJB Offline

Loc: Auburn, N Y, U S
Thank you---Peter ,Bill ,Bob , and Abacus for taking the time to give help on my problem . So far nothing has worked . Seems I have tried every combination possible and possible not sending and or receiving , but can still play the demo tunes thru the kn amplifier . Likely I shall have to have the keyboard checked by a repair shop . Thanks again---Dick Bergin

#322774 - 04/25/11 10:06 AM Re: KN7000 midi connections [Re: RJB]
Bob Hendershot Offline

Dick, what is the model number of the Hammond module that you are using? Will look up the manual to see if I can help. It should be a rather simple setup. Page 190 of your KN7000 manual tells you how to set up midi channels so that you select the appropriate notes to send to the sound module.

Also tell me what notes you want to send to the Hammond module. I assume you would want your right hand notes to cause the Hammond sounds, but not sure.

Edited by Bob Hendershot (04/25/11 10:12 AM)

#322805 - 04/25/11 01:46 PM Re: KN7000 midi connections [Re: Bob Hendershot]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
You have discussed Midi in and out and Bill was correct. BUT What about the send and receiving channels. If the send-set for the Kn is not the same number channel as the instrument (the slave/revieving) nothing can happen.

Years back I did a bit of work with midi and it took a lot of learning/work. When you learn how much data can control it is amazing. I used a Yamaha keyboard and three sound modules.
When I bought my Kn2000 I used two modules working with volume foot pedals controlling for each one. The modules were set on channels to match the Kn channels. Just as you can set the Tech-chord on a Kn to a third sound by using midi channel five – Right 1, and right 2 and channel 5 for the Tech-chord.

For example the controller was able to activate strings and organ or vocal in the Kn7, the volumes and channel was set and memorized in Panel memory. Two hands working with two sets of 61 keys it sounded great. In fact it was so good I sold everything but the keyboard. My reason; There is much in a Kn keyboard, especially the Kn7, that I have found different ways to make a song sound great with far less work and far more enjoyable.

For me – I accept working with Midi for enjoyment and experimenting, but not when I am working.

If you are using a pedal board triggering a Kn keyboard midi is a must. Set it to one channel and make sure that it is saved in all your panel memories and SD card or a floppy.
Organs have always been my favorite so I have added a 88 note controller set to channel FIVE which triggers channel FIVE on the Kn7. A controller can send more than one channel so it possible to trigger two Kn instruments, but the controller must be set to a split mode.
Wow, too many words, sorry, John C.

#322829 - 04/25/11 07:17 PM Re: KN7000 midi connections [Re: RJB]
Bob Hendershot Offline

Dick, if you have not already done so, look at page 194 of your KN7000 manual for Midi Presets. Go to page 2 of the Midi Presets display and choose Sound Module. Click OK. That will set up the KN7000 as the master with Right 1 set for midi channel 1, Right 2 to midi channel 2 and Left to midi channel 3. That's all you should have to do at the KN7000.

I will need to see the manual for the Hammond sound module to see what you need to do there. It needs to be set up to receive on midi channel 1 if you want it to play the Right 1 notes. It also needs to be set for an external clock.

You already have the audio out of the Hammond connected OK because you can hear the demos.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online