SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#322278 - 04/19/11 06:20 AM Anyone use a BBE Sonic Maximizer?
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Been following with great interest the discussions on the Roland BK7M and thinking of trying one. One of the comments about the backing parts being much more defined got my attention. I pulled out and old BBE Sonic Maximizer I had tried a few years ago. Originally in my Hammond resale business we were putting them on Hammonds thru the preamp section to get more punch, especially in the bass, without doing major Leslie mods or adding extra amps via 1/4" output jacks. I also tried them for awhile on my PA. Worked great and I don't remember why I drifted away from using them. I guess it is my laziness with the extra wires, etc.
I put one in line with my G1000 and my PA. WOW! Running stereo thru my studio 10' speakers the bass pumped and the individual instruments were much clearer and more distinctive. Now if I could get rid of about 10 lbs off the keyboard I'd be set
My reluctance to jump to a new module is all the time I've spent editing my G1000 styles (and still doing it) and having to start over. Find the right style for the song, edit it, notate it on the music, etc.
As the old BBE ads said something like "Its like taking a blanket off your speakers" The way to try one is to put it last online with your instrument or PA. Keeping the BBE off line with the bypass switch set everything up till you get what you think is the best sound. Then hit the BBE bypass button to throw it into the mix. You will be shocked.
Anyone else try one of these little mystery boxes? BTW, what they actually do is time align the frequencies which makes everything sound clearer----I think!

#322283 - 04/19/11 07:54 AM Re: Anyone use a BBE Sonic Maximizer? [Re: Bill Lewis]
GlennT Offline

Loc: Medina, OH, USA
I've got one gathering dust in the closet. Stopped using it for the same reason... easier to let it sit and just crank up the treble. But that doesn't do the same thing! Thanks for the reminder, Bill. Think I'll try mine out again, at least for recording.

Glenn

#322284 - 04/19/11 07:59 AM Re: Anyone use a BBE Sonic Maximizer? [Re: Bill Lewis]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I used to never leave home without it, but since I went to Bose systems I haven't used it.
DonM

#322288 - 04/19/11 08:11 AM Re: Anyone use a BBE Sonic Maximizer? [Re: Bill Lewis]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
By the way, a lot of the newer devices have software enhancers built in.
You can add enhancer processing to any of the Roland lead voices. I don't recall if Yamaha has this option in the overall e.q. sections, but I seem to think the Tyros line does.
DonM

#322292 - 04/19/11 08:17 AM Re: Anyone use a BBE Sonic Maximizer? [Re: Bill Lewis]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Yamaha has the enhancer in both top range PSR and in the Tyros line.

They first started using an enhancer way back in the PSR-8000.

I still have an old Aphex Aural Exciter type C from years ago...used to run the Jupiter 8 through it.

Ian

#322296 - 04/19/11 08:41 AM Re: Anyone use a BBE Sonic Maximizer? [Re: Bill Lewis]
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

Loc: Muskegon, MI
I have one gathering dust in a closet somewhere also. I never tried it with the G70, maybe I'll get it out and try it.

Tom

Tom

#322310 - 04/19/11 12:54 PM Re: Anyone use a BBE Sonic Maximizer? [Re: Bill Lewis]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Tom I have one gathering dust too smile

Don't forget the G70 has "mastering tools" that will do a better job...

When you find a buyer for your BBE...tell them you have two.. grin

#322361 - 04/20/11 07:25 AM Re: Anyone use a BBE Sonic Maximizer? [Re: Fran Carango]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Played some more with the old BBE last night. I know my Roland has a similar effect for the lead voices but where I like it is how it effects the drums and bass when put online with the output signal. On some patches I use the leslie effect so there goes my one effect per patch allocation of the G1000.
I also tried emulating the effect with tone controls and compression on my mixer and its not even close.
Again its my laziness of not wanting to jump on the next greatest thing and having to revamp everything I've done.
I know a guitarist who loves his BBE so I guess its still a viable unit for some.
I'm going to try it in a live situation and continue my "upgrade the PA" quest.

#322472 - 04/21/11 09:10 AM Re: Anyone use a BBE Sonic Maximizer? [Re: Bill Lewis]
Jackieh Offline

Ian-where on the TYROS is this enhancer function?

Thanks

Jack

#322473 - 04/21/11 09:12 AM Re: Anyone use a BBE Sonic Maximizer? [Re: Bill Lewis]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
It's referred to as "Harmonic Content" and it's in the Filter section.

Press MIXING CONSOLE, Tab over to FILTER.

It's available on all channels in the Accompaniment as well as the RH 1/2/3, and LH.

What Tyros model do you have, Jackieh?

Ian

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online