SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#321919 - 04/15/11 06:34 AM MIDI THRU BOX
donpatt Offline

Loc: Lufkin, TX.
Here's my situation.

I can control the BK-7m module from the Tyros 4 without many problems (some chord reocgnition issues)

I can play T4 styles or Roland styles, yammy voices or Roland voices, or combine the voices.

When I put the accordion into the mix (going into the T4), the accordion controls the T4 but not the BK-7m. BTW, I've done this in reverse with the same results (Accordion to BK7m to T4).

Before I spend my $40.00, will this solve my problem?

MIDI SOLUTIONS THRU.

"The MIDI Solutions Thru provides 2 MIDI outputs from a single MIDI input. Use it to provide extra MIDI outputs at any point in the MIDI chain."

From the accordion hook one out to the T4 and the other to BK7m.

What do yuu think?
Don P

#321929 - 04/15/11 07:46 AM Re: MIDI THRU BOX [Re: donpatt]
Anthony Johnson Offline

Loc: Sheffield Yorkshire England
Haven't used a Midi Thru box myself but I'm certain that this will do what you want - exactly the situation that the Thru box was designed to address.

Can you elaborate on the chord recognition issues?
I have 2 modules (Technics SMAC 1200 and Solton MS40 and both show exactly the same chords that my driving keyboard displays.
Have used Roland EM2000, Technics KN6500 and Technics KN7000 to drive them with no problems.

The only problems I ever had (and still have) were with the Tyros 3 & 4, transmitting harmony chord data when using this feature - the Technics & Roland could filter this out but Yamaha is not as well implememted Midi wise.
Tony

#321933 - 04/15/11 08:21 AM Re: MIDI THRU BOX [Re: donpatt]
donpatt Offline

Hey Tony,

I use the T4 in multi finger mode. here you can make 1, 2 3, 4, note chords. Roland uses a slightly different chord recognition system in their "easy" or "intellegent" mode. This is not a problem when using the accordion because it makes 3 and 4 note chords. The difficulty occurs only when playing the BK-7m from the T4.

I'm not a pianist so when playing chords on the keyboard I take the easy way out.

About the thru box, I thought it sounded like it should work, but wanted to hear someone else's view. Thanks for your response.

#321935 - 04/15/11 08:24 AM Re: MIDI THRU BOX [Re: donpatt]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Actually Roland has the "Yamaha" mode as well. You have to go into menu and set it that way though. It is not musically correct really, but it's there.
DonM

#321954 - 04/15/11 10:23 AM Re: MIDI THRU BOX [Re: donpatt]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Connect the Accordion to Midi In on the Yamaha, Connect the Midi Thru of the Yamaha to the Midi In of the Roland, and you have the same as using a 1 In 2 Out Midi Box.

To control the Roland from the Yamaha (And vice versa) as well as from the Accordion at the same time is a little more complex, so have a read of this site http://www.tweakheadz.com/how_to_get_started_with_midi.html to get a basic understanding of Midi (And identify exactly what you want to do) before purchasing any Midi Add On Box.

Hope this helps

Bill

#321956 - 04/15/11 10:48 AM Re: MIDI THRU BOX [Re: donpatt]
donpatt Offline

Thanks Bill,

I'll probably show my ignorance but, as far as I can see, there is no midi thru on the T4. There is MIDI "A" in and out, and MIDI "B" in and out.

Don P

#322006 - 04/16/11 02:11 AM Re: MIDI THRU BOX [Re: donpatt]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Hi Don P

I have just downloaded the manuals for both items, and you are correct, the Tyros does not have Midi Thru, (Another sign that it is just for the home player) the Roland also does not have a direct Midi Thru however it can be emulated on-board via the software (The software automatically converts the Midi Out into a Midi Thru) thus saving space.

You don’t say what Accordion you have or what Midi connections it has, however if you can give me the details, and then explain exactly what you want to do, I will see if I can work out the best way to go about it, (Although it is more difficult without the instruments in front of you) however from the details given so far you will probably need a Midi box, but as yet I am not sure what type would be best for you.

Bill

#322050 - 04/16/11 11:55 AM Re: MIDI THRU BOX [Re: donpatt]
donpatt Offline

OK Bill,

Got it working, not exactly as I wanted but good enogh for now.

Thanks for the info on the MIDI THRU on the BK-7. It's not automatic, you have to go into the MIDI menu, then EDIT SYSTEM then paramaters, and finally SOFT MIDI THRU. The choices are OFF, GLOBAL, and PIANO. I set it for global. You also have to make sure you save it.

Now I can play both from the accordion! That's Great.

May still buy the BOX, cause I'd really like the T4 in fromt of the BK-7.

BTW, the accordion I'm using is a Roland 7X V accordion. It is quite a sophisticated midi controller!

Thanks again,
Don

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online