SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#321797 - 04/13/11 04:34 PM Re: I need your opinion,,,pick the first or second [Re: Fran Carango]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
To me, there wasn't a hill of beans of difference between the two--at least not enough to quibble over. What I would REALLY like to hear is Fran play the song LIVE--not a sequence. Record it using a Zoom or something similar--but PLAY IT LIVE! Then we can compare apples with apples.

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#321800 - 04/13/11 05:06 PM Re: I need your opinion,,,pick the first or second [Re: travlin'easy]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Originally Posted By: travlin'easy
To me, there wasn't a hill of beans of difference between the two--at least not enough to quibble over. What I would REALLY like to hear is Fran play the song LIVE--not a sequence. Record it using a Zoom or something similar--but PLAY IT LIVE! Then we can compare apples with apples.

Gary cool

Or, record it LIVE using a video camera...that would be even better.

Ian

#321802 - 04/13/11 05:12 PM Re: I need your opinion,,,pick the first or second [Re: travlin'easy]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Originally Posted By: travlin'easy

Gary cool

Gary, what better way to show apples to apples...then a commercial SMF?

And I think (as 7 or 8 other folks) there was a pile of beans difference... smile

#321803 - 04/13/11 05:19 PM Re: I need your opinion,,,pick the first or second [Re: Fran Carango]
Fran Carango Offline

"Live" played with a "Style"...what 's the difference between the sequence or a style?...Except for the most part ..sequences are better for "dance " tunes.. smile

#321804 - 04/13/11 05:30 PM Re: I need your opinion,,,pick the first or second [Re: Fran Carango]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Commercial sequences aren't done by you. Everyone using the same SMF sounds basically alike.

Style play is where you, the player, input the chords, use the variations, fills, intros, endings, breaks etc, and generally make the tune your own...sort of like having your own stamp on it.

Ian

#321808 - 04/13/11 06:11 PM Re: I need your opinion,,,pick the first or second [Re: Fran Carango]
Nick G Offline

Loc: Sydney, NSW, Australia
Fran,

As I stated in my earlier post (even though you may disagree) is that making an SMF and playing it on two different keyboards is NOT the best way to make a comparison between which sounds better or worse.

Midi files need to be optimised for the board they are played on.

In my opinion this midi file sounds so robotic - the bass is terrible and the drum kit is constant and "robotic".It sounds like music from a computer game from the 80s or early 90s.

The snare drum you have used is at the same velocity throughout the entire sequence - one of the reasons why the sequence has no "life". There are just no dynamics and "colour" in the Drum sequence. - same goes for the bass pattern...

The Velocity level it is set at could suit the drumkit better of the Roland and visa versa.

You stated in your reply to my post that "it wasn't a contest" but I am pretty sure that was the intention of this thread.

I would love for someone to make a midi file on a Tyros and then get you to play it back in your Roland - it would probably sound terrible and that is proof that you cant make an apples to apples comparison using SMF.

To you - SMF might be the most important or crucial requirement in arranger keyboards - but it sure is not the same for many others... A synth with a much more pro level sequencer would probably be a better suit for you (no offence)

Nick

#321811 - 04/13/11 06:29 PM Re: I need your opinion,,,pick the first or second [Re: Fran Carango]
Nick G Offline

Loc: Sydney, NSW, Australia
Just to add - Dont get me wrong Fran, the G70 is awesome and those demos you sent me via email a few months ago blew me away.

I never under estimate the G70 and respect it very highly.
But I am merely trying to make a point that SMF is not the best way to compare one arranger to another.

Nick

#321813 - 04/13/11 07:05 PM Re: I need your opinion,,,pick the first or second [Re: Fran Carango]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I agree with Ian and Nick--play the damned thing, Fran. I want to hear what that G-70 really sounds like--not what someone's midi files sounds like. That midi file may sound professional as Hell, but like any midi file it sounds best on the keyboard it was created upon, or the keyboard it was re-tuned for. Select an appropriate style, fire up that video camera and record the song on both keyboards. C'mon, you can do it.

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#321815 - 04/13/11 07:19 PM Re: I need your opinion,,,pick the first or second [Re: ianmcnll]
Fran Carango Offline

Originally Posted By: ianmcnll
Commercial sequences aren't done by you. Everyone using the same SMF sounds basically alike.

Style play is where you, the player, input the chords, use the variations, fills, intros, endings, breaks etc, and generally make the tune your own...sort of like having your own stamp on it.

Ian

Ian Styles are nothing but sequences...and they sound the same when chorded by you or I...Playing over sequences adds just as much demension...maybe more..and today's arrangers with markers and changing tones on the fly...makes a sequence just as much your own, as playing style patterns with a few chord changes and fills...Think about it... smile

#321816 - 04/13/11 07:29 PM Re: I need your opinion,,,pick the first or second [Re: Fran Carango]
Fran Carango Offline

Guys don't take this personally, but playing all night long with just arranger auto play styles, will bore my audiences to death.. smile

My venues want to have a tune recognizable to them.."like the record"....Sure auto play arranger method can work here or there, but it would never carry a night, where I play...

When I usually use the arranger .it is stripped down or auto stuff except for drums..turned off..

A one hour gig , maybe will work playing arranger only, but not my jobs..with the band or solo..

I am sure if you ask others that play the same type of jobs..they will "amen" me...

Ask UD or Donny....we need to use all the tools...and SMF's are a major tool..

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online