SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#321243 - 04/08/11 12:23 PM No Arrangers the Month of April...
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
When the month was over, I had 31 job under the belt, with none done on an arranger.

While arrangers are invaluable for sound score roughs, I think I prefer it this way.

Of course, my jobs are either quiet pre-dinner/reception ones
trio jobs, or bigger groups. Those are easier to do this way than OMB gigs.

The work is there, you just have to re-think and adjust.

Kind of satisfying to go it "naked".

Russ

#321244 - 04/08/11 12:34 PM Re: No Arrangers the Month of April... [Re: captain Russ]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Great stuff Russ...if "naked" is the way you like it...go for it!

I'm still totally enamored with my new Tyros4, and I'm happy to say I'm going "fully dressed" for my future gigs.

I still love to sit and play solo piano, but, having all those styles and sounds at my beck and call is also a wonderful treat as well.

I hope your hand is not giving you any troubles, and that playing is a breeze.

Ian

#321248 - 04/08/11 01:30 PM Re: No Arrangers the Month of April... [Re: ianmcnll]

I'm sure you're knocking them dead, Ian.

Keep it up!

R.

#321250 - 04/08/11 01:54 PM Re: No Arrangers the Month of April... [Re: captain Russ]
ianmcnll Offline

Thanks Russ...I am playing a Hammond B-3 with Leslie tonight at a buddy's place...guitar, bass, drums and a sax player joining in for the fun.

Life is good.

Ian

#321251 - 04/08/11 02:01 PM Re: No Arrangers the Month of April... [Re: captain Russ]
ianmcnll Offline

Are you playing any Hammond at all anymore Russ, or is it mainly "naked" guitar?

#321254 - 04/08/11 02:24 PM Re: No Arrangers the Month of April... [Re: ianmcnll]

Ian, I'm actually playing the Hammond 3-4 times a month, and left-handed keyboard bass almost every day. My problem with my left hand is, I have severe pain in all fingers. But that's not the real challenge. I can't identify by feel where the fingers are...it's hard to keep track, by sight, of four of them with up tempo material.

Keys, on the other hand are easier; I only need to keep track of one bass note at a time. I'm using my C-1 and an old, low-mileage XB-2 in left-handed bass mode.

Of course, unless I switch to pedal bass on ballads, I've got the "B-3 hole" any who have played the "magnificent monster" know well. On walking bass, it's the style.

Of course, when I have my trio, my son plays both upright and Fender Jazz. As a former long-time bassist, I'm harder on him and any other bass player than on any other instrument.

Still on the fence about quitting guitar. Just don't see ever getting good enough to satisfy myself.

But, there's lots of other ways to make music, and I'm now very grateful for the years I've had as a guitarist.

Russ

#321258 - 04/08/11 03:04 PM Re: No Arrangers the Month of April... [Re: captain Russ]
ianmcnll Offline

Russ, I had a hand injury (I probably already told you about it) when I was in my late teens...got cut with a knife during a donnybrook, and very nearly lost the baby finger of my left hand. As many years as it was ago, I still don't have complete feeling, especially from the middle knuckle to the tip...I had to scrap playing guitar for quite some time, and fortunately the surgeon who re-attached the finger, did more surgery later on and re-attached the tendons in such a way that my finger has a slight curvature and is in the proper position for playing keys. Still have trouble on guitar, especially barre chords.

So, I concentrate on keyboards today...the arranger is my friend...my left hand is much stronger, but an evening of all solo piano (especially a lot of left hand bass work) makes it ache, and even with therapy, it will never be as strong as I'd like. Hence, again, the arranger.

Used to hate using it at first, but today's arrangers don't sound as robotic and phony, and the styles are so much better than the old PS-6100 I started on...yeeech!

You'll find your way...I know what you mean about "not good enough to satisfy yourself", but, you shouldn't deny the listener the chance to hear your talent...you are a fine player to my ears.

Good luck,

Ian

#321298 - 04/09/11 08:35 AM Re: No Arrangers the Month of April... [Re: captain Russ]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Having dealt with 'trigger finger' on my left thumb last year (had to play a couple of months in a splint), I can understand where both of you are coming from. All I can say at this point is, if you are having any joint pain and stiffness, if you haven't already tried it, look into turmeric capsules, preferably with the bromalain additive. My thumb would not move at all, then after a couple of months on this stuff, it is back to 100%. I've a guitarist friend recommended them to me. Without them, he can't raise his arm above his shoulders. On them, he has complete movement.

I was shocked how well they worked. You may have different issues, but if joint stiffness is a part of the problem, give these a whirl... they can't HURT, anyway! It's just a spice (the yellow one used in much Indian cuisine), but with many benefits.

Hope this helps.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online