SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#321082 - 04/07/11 11:07 AM Re: Pa3x Style examples [Re: Fran Carango]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Originally Posted By: Fran Carango
Even version 1 G70 stored transpose....I don't recall any Roland user programs that didn't save transpose.

Well, since you are the resident G-70 guru, it wasn't transpose that the UPG's didn't store...I can't be bothered searching the Roland arranger site (or SZ) for any details on what the problem was, so we may as well leave it at that...I do know it was something relatively important regarding UPG's that required a workaround, and it was also posted here by Diki to help a G-70 user.

Maybe I'll have a look when I have a bit more free time.

Ian

#321083 - 04/07/11 11:09 AM Re: Pa3x Style examples [Re: Saswick]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Fran beat me too it... I'm just not sure you are remembering what the issue was.

Possibly that OTS's used to be stored with the UPS, and post OS2, they got stored with the style.

You know what's funny, though? Despite the G70 being out of production for quite a while, I now have two friends (full-time gigging pros) who JUST bought one, after seeing me play mine. Yes, they are both live band players, but one has the TOTL MoXS, the other a couple of Triton models, and they BOTH wanted to get the G70 as a live board! Yes, I agree that the G70 STRICTLY as an arranger is a hair long in the tooth, with no SA/DNC capabilities or Mega Voices, multipads, etc., but as a live keyboard for a gigging keyboard player that wants to cover ALL the bases, from full band to solo work, I still think there are few equals at best.

Ease of use, ease of editing, ease of operation, then killer punchy sound that holds its own against the beefiest of live drummers, all the meat and potatoes nailed... That's what I need in a keyboard. Yes, if I were doing ALW orchestral pieces in a concert setting, it might not be my go to tool (I have the K2500 for that!) but for if I get called out on a gig, and have NO IDEA what they want when I get there, could be solo, could be a ten piece, I'll grab the G70 over anything currently made...

Seems like quite a few that hear mine agree..!

#321092 - 04/07/11 01:29 PM Re: Pa3x Style examples [Re: Diki]
ianmcnll Offline

Originally Posted By: Diki

Possibly that OTS's used to be stored with the UPS, and post OS2, they got stored with the style.

You know what's funny, though? Despite the G70 being out of production for quite a while, I now have two friends (full-time gigging pros) who JUST bought one, after seeing me play mine. Yes, they are both live band players, but one has the TOTL MoXS, the other a couple of Triton models, and they BOTH wanted to get the G70 as a live board! Yes, I agree that the G70 STRICTLY as an arranger is a hair long in the tooth, with no SA/DNC capabilities or Mega Voices, multipads, etc., but as a live keyboard for a gigging keyboard player that wants to cover ALL the bases, from full band to solo work, I still think there are few equals at best.

Yes, if I were doing ALW orchestral pieces in a concert setting, it might not be my go to tool (I have the K2500 for that!) but for if I get called out on a gig, and have NO IDEA what they want when I get there, could be solo, could be a ten piece, I'll grab the G70 over anything currently made...

Seems like quite a few that hear mine agree..!

Thanks Diki, I believe it might have been what you said about the OTS's used to be stored with the UPS, and post OS2, they got stored with the style.

Good for you that the G-70 does the job...you did well buying two of them (Fran is looking for another one, too), and considering it's age, and the lack of SA/SA2/Mega type voices,no multipads no on board audio recording, it appears to be still able to more than do the job, especially if you're playing in a group or a band situation.

However, I'm not sure if I'd ever want to have to use it on solo "arranger only" gigs, and that's not even considering it's weight issues, but it sure sounds a hell of a lot better than a Prelude, GW-8 and perhaps even the new BK-7M.
My biggest issue with the sounds, was not the quality (well, the piano was very good...and I liked the strings)), even though most of them sound rather dated today, but the crazy way the organ section was routed; a shame really, as back then, the VK organ sound was one of the better sounding clone-wheels to my ears.

Overall, I think it's a shame Roland stopped making TOTL/MOTL arrangers, but without any fresh technology to showcase, I believe they would have a tough time competing at that level...so perhaps it is better that they went out in style.

Ian

#321101 - 04/07/11 02:33 PM Re: Pa3x Style examples [Re: Saswick]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
There's a new one for sale in the Buy and Sell section.
DonM

#321102 - 04/07/11 02:35 PM Re: Pa3x Style examples [Re: Saswick]
spalding1968 Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
just to get back on topic. The thing that baffles me is that Korg have had the last 3 years to develope brand new DNC sounds. What the hell happened ?????

If therr was a feature that all user groups really wanted it was the full evolution of DNC. What did Korg users get as a reward for their patience and loyalty to Korg ??????

And how many OS upgrade did the Korg PA 2X get over its life span ???? One of the main selling features of the Korg OS system was the potential for future OS upgrade that was often dangled as juicy carrot but turned into a limp lettuce.

I dont want to seem overly critical but at least yamaha give you incredible sounds for their exhorbitant prices . korg has not really upgraded its sound set since the PA1X .

#321105 - 04/07/11 02:52 PM Re: Pa3x Style examples [Re: spalding1968]
FransN Offline

Loc: Netherlands
The PA3x have plenty of DNC sounds only problem is no video show them. Korg just won't release a professional video and I really don't know why.

#321106 - 04/07/11 02:57 PM Re: Pa3x Style examples [Re: spalding1968]
Machetero Offline

Loc: Tampa, Florida, USA
Originally Posted By: spalding1968
just to get back on topic. The thing that baffles me is that Korg have had the last 3 years to develope brand new DNC sounds. What the hell happened ?????

If therr was a feature that all user groups really wanted it was the full evolution of DNC. What did Korg users get as a reward for their patience and loyalty to Korg ??????

And how many OS upgrade did the Korg PA 2X get over its life span ???? One of the main selling features of the Korg OS system was the potential for future OS upgrade that was often dangled as juicy carrot but turned into a limp lettuce.

I dont want to seem overly critical but at least yamaha give you incredible sounds for their exhorbitant prices . korg has not really upgraded its sound set since the PA1X .

No sounds upgrade since PA1x?
What is DNC then? You are contradicting yourself. DNC sounds get released with OS 2.1 for the PA800/PA2x.
On the PA3x, Korg have double the amount of DNC sounds now. Is no the same route that Yamaha have used with their SA voices?, meaning incremental offerings.
Korg have provide FREE upgrades to the OS and additional styles, the last ones being a group of 32 Latin styles.

#321108 - 04/07/11 03:00 PM Re: Pa3x Style examples [Re: Machetero]
FransN Offline

Loc: Netherlands
Yes with Yamaha you must buy a whole new keyboard if you want a upgrade. 4000 Euro for a few new sounds hahaha
Yamaha is master of rip off

#321109 - 04/07/11 03:04 PM Re: Pa3x Style examples [Re: Saswick]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Yep... you didn't see Yamaha release SA as a free upgrade to the T1, did you...?

Or SA2 as a free upgrade to the T2...

If you want to stay current as to voice technology, Korg usually means that your existing arranger will keep pace for a lot longer than some other brands, which make you buy another arranger to have access to the latest technology.

I agree that Korg have been dragging their feet providing TOTL samples to USE with DNC, but we have heard very little of the new ones so far. Doesn't mean they don't exist, though. Still early days, my friends!

#321112 - 04/07/11 03:21 PM Re: Pa3x Style examples [Re: spalding1968]
ianmcnll Offline

Originally Posted By: spalding1968

What surprises me, Spalding, is that if this new PA3Xpro has incredible new DNC sounds, why aren't they being showcased?

I've heard from several people, that the overall improvements (or upgrades) are mainly new features, and not a great deal of new sounds.

Apparently Korg aren't too interested in giving the PA3Xpro proper demos.

There has been talk that most of Korg's research and development money was put on the new Kronos, and the arranger division got very little to work with.

I was talking on the phone to someone today, who is in touch (via Skype) with someone who is reviewing the now available PA3Xpro (not a prototype), and, so far, it isn't very impressive.

Perhaps it is intended for those using the el cheapo models, like the PA-500, who want more than what they have on their present instruments?

I really can't see someone who already has a PA2Xpro wanting to buy a PA3Xpro.

Maybe Korg will break down and hire a demonstrator who can showcase the new DNC sounds and the new features.

So far, it sounds rather meh to me, and offers no competition whatsoever to Yamaha's incredibly expressive SA/SA2 voices (not to mention their Mega Voices).

Ian

Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online