SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#320997 - 04/06/11 12:08 PM Re: Pa3x Style examples [Re: Saswick]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
There were few that even USED the chord sequencer from Roland while it was out. I can't count the number of people I showed this to on their own arranger, and were amazed at what it did... Mind you, as I've always said, it's one of those things that mostly benefits the better player (not much point freeing up your left hand if all it can do is One Finger Chords, anyway!), which is generally not the meat of the arranger market.

I believe that there are two unsung features that radically change how and what you can play... The CS for arranger mode, and the Mark/Jump capabilities for SMF play. I guarantee that 99% of the people with these features on their arrangers are not using them. That doesn't mean that they are unimportant features.

Just that few ever explore new capabilities once they have a little 'system' down. I mean, possibly half of even this forum don't use Registrations much, but simply call up a 'free panel' setting, and then select styles and sounds on the fly. Does that mean Yamaha should drop having Registrations? Because quite a few don't use them?

I doubt you'd agree with this, Ian.

For the two handed player, for the player of a secondary instrument, the CS opens up possibilities that can be done in NO OTHER WAY. That few can be bothered to learn them isn't the problem of the feature, it's the problem of the PLAYER...

#321000 - 04/06/11 12:13 PM Re: Pa3x Style examples [Re: ianmcnll]
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Originally Posted By: ianmcnll

Sounds just like the PA2XPro to me, Spalding. Like you (and you own a Korg arranger) I can't hear any change, however subtle it might be.

And, I also agree that anyone buying this arranger would be doing so for reasons other than an increase in the quality of sounds, although I suspect not many will want to pay that much money for a Chord Sequencer...there weren't too many that missed it when it was dropped from the Roland arrangers, so I have a feeling it won't mean all that much to the Korgians, who never had it in the first place.

I sure hope that there will be better demos of this new instrument, or, I'm afraid there will be a lot of disappointed people that have waited patiently for a replacement for their PA2XPro, or even the PA800.

Any sign of these instruments coming your way, so we can get a review from you?

Ian

Yep +1 here Ian. Sounded nice, but nothing we couldn't already do on the PA2. Maybe there is more to come??

Dennis

#321002 - 04/06/11 12:16 PM Re: Pa3x Style examples [Re: Saswick]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
How can the ROM double, and there NOT be more to come?!

Still early days...

#321007 - 04/06/11 12:36 PM Re: Pa3x Style examples [Re: Diki]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Originally Posted By: Diki

I mean, possibly half of even this forum don't use Registrations much, but simply call up a 'free panel' setting, and then select styles and sounds on the fly. Does that mean Yamaha should drop having Registrations? Because quite a few don't use them?

Actually, those who do not use registration memory would be a very, very small minority in my own experience, and from what I have gathered from the Yamaha forums and clinics.

It is a very efficient, and remarkably easy to use system...Roland's UPG needed workarounds, so perhaps that's why you feel Yamaha's isn't used as much.

It is.

The way I see it, if it had made that much difference to Roland users, the company's market research would have deemed it necessary to keep it.

I had it on the E-70 I owned for some time...I used it, but not that often...it's only handy in certain tunes, and I suppose, the increase in the use of SMF sort of made it redundant for many players.

I certainly can't see a PA2XPro user spring for a PA3XPro simply because it has a Chord Sequencer; so far it's the only really obvious difference....sonically, at least from the demos we've heard, they are very much alike.

Ian

#321008 - 04/06/11 12:42 PM Re: Pa3x Style examples [Re: ianmcnll]
Impuls Offline

Loc: Netherlands
I am now happy that i ordered a Tyros 4,nothing will beat it the following decade grin

Impuls headphone

#321011 - 04/06/11 12:45 PM Re: Pa3x Style examples [Re: miden]
ianmcnll Offline

Originally Posted By: miden

Yep +1 here Ian. Sounded nice, but nothing we couldn't already do on the PA2. Maybe there is more to come??

Dennis

Maybe there is more to come Dennis, but, I can't see the value of Korg holding back on this instrument's presentation...if they are trying to mimic Yamaha's "teaser" method that was used for the Tyros3 and T4, they aren't doing a very good job of it.

Mostly, the comments I hear are ones of disappointment, and some of the sounds I'm hearing on the present demos seem almost like a step back, rather than one ahead.

I hope the company, and the demonstrators, redeem the instrument, because it's success is very important to all of us arranger players...competition always improves the breed, and with a major player like Roland out of the business (except for the BK-7M module), all that's really left is Korg and Yamaha.

Ian

#321032 - 04/06/11 06:35 PM Re: Pa3x Style examples [Re: 124]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Originally Posted By: 124

Hey UD, how 'bout that EP on Sunny?

Mmmmmm - NORD-like!
I noticed it too!

#321035 - 04/06/11 07:18 PM Re: Pa3x Style examples [Re: Saswick]
Nick G Offline

Loc: Sydney, NSW, Australia
Correct me if I am wrong (show me a link if possible) but I have not seen or heard one demo about the new "Ambience" drums yet... or are they just automatically in every style????

Alot of people keep saying how there's such a little difference from the PA2 to the PA3 - may be true but I think this is more of a step up than the T3 to T4...

Technical Feature-wise (leaving sounds out of the equation) if you compare the T4 to the PA2, the PA2 is much ahead in terms of midi control / sound editing / general arrange functions and configurations.

The T4 has fantastic authentic voices but the drums and overall clarity and punch (although a definite improvement over the T3) are STILL not on par to the Korg or Roland drums.

I was an owner of a Tyros 2, and then the PSR S910, and there is common vibe amongst the Yamaha community that these keyboards need better punchier drums, fatter crisp basses, better sound editing capabilities, better midi control functionality, etc etc.

so any update Yamaha gives is like being handed Treasure!

This is not the same with the Korg. People aren't starved of sound quality or functionality. its more just a product refresh and update. not so much "we need this, we need this, we need this etc"

alot of what I have said is opinionated and subjective to taste so there will be people who will not like what I have said or highly disagree with me, but there will be alot of others who I am sure will agree with me and understand exactly what I am talking about... whether you come out and back me up or not...

Nick

#321036 - 04/06/11 07:38 PM Re: Pa3x Style examples [Re: Saswick]
124 Offline

That's the thing, Korgies, for the most part, like to delve a bit deeper. That's not to say that SOME Yamaha players don't get into that end of things, but it's not their typical arranger crowd. Their chosen axes fall well short of Korg when it comes to editing, that's no news to anyone. It's well known that most Yamaha arranger folks are just content to sit there and noodle out the old tried and true chestnuts and that's precisely the market that Yamaha goes after - all power to them.

Ever hear the term 'horses for courses'?

#321037 - 04/06/11 09:09 PM Re: Pa3x Style examples [Re: Nick G]
ianmcnll Offline

Originally Posted By: Nick G

Alot of people keep saying how there's such a little difference from the PA2 to the PA3 - may be true but I think this is more of a step up than the T3 to T4...

This is not the same with the Korg. People aren't starved of sound quality or functionality. its more just a product refresh and update. not so much "we need this, we need this, we need this etc"

Good Grief, Nick! Did you actually objectively listen to the demo posted above?

Sound quality? The instruments heard on the above demo are weak. The only one with any character is the Electric Piano. The trumpet sounds anemic, and the Distortion Guitar sounds dry and thin...the acoustic guitar (supposedly a DNC voice) has no character whatsoever.

This thread is not about comparing the PA3XPro with Yamaha...to each his/her own as far what we like to hear coming from our speakers...what is being said, is the Korg PA3Xpro compared to Korg PA2Xpro is actually showing very little improvement based on what we've heard so far...if you think that any of those voices are markedly improved from the PA2XPro, then that's fine...but not everyone does.

This is not a pissing contest between Yamaha and Korg...unless you want to make it one?

Trying to compare the T3 to T4 improvements against PA2 to PA3 upgrades is only a meagre attempt to get away from what this thread is all about.

I understand you are a Korg fan, but please...don't kid yourself and the rest of us by saying there is marked improvement in what you heard in the above demo...unless you don't care about your credibility. wink

There have been plenty of discussions on the T3 to T4 improvements...let's try and keep this one to the topic at hand, and stop trying to put up smokescreens just because the demos aren't showing what you wish.

Ian

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online