SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#320744 - 04/03/11 08:32 AM PSR-S910 mic volume cutting out
Beakybird Offline

I own two PSR-S910's. I've started having an intermittent problem of no volume coming out of the microphone when I turn on the keyboard. The two times it's happened so far, it's gone away after 10 - 15 minutes of the keyboard being on. I checked that it wasn't the mic or mic cable.

I'm going to bring it to get repaired soon. Hopefully, it won't take too long. I did get it with a credit card that offers a 1 year extended warranty. The last time I tried to take advantage of this it worked. It did take some paperwork. You need the receipt and the original credit card statement.

#320756 - 04/03/11 02:14 PM Re: PSR-S910 mic volume cutting out [Re: Beakybird]
Riceroni9 Offline

Loc: TX, USA
Hi Beaky:

Is the problem the same with both keyboards? I'm assuming you have identical MICs hooked to each S910. Could be just a warm-up problem (don't know if there may be a trim-pot to adjust on the motherboard) but if you have already paid for the extended warranty, sounds like a good idea to have it checked out. If you think about it, when the smoke and dust have cleared away on this problem, please let us know what you found out... or the final result. Good luck!

Dave Rice

#320763 - 04/03/11 04:47 PM Re: PSR-S910 mic volume cutting out [Re: Riceroni9]
Beakybird Offline

Thanks Dave. The problem exists on only one keyboard. After it happened twice on the keyboard I was gigging with, I switched keyboards, but it is not repeating itself at home.

But when I had the problem for the first time, I checked levels, mute, and switched mic cable and mic, and the problem was still there. Fifteen minutes into the performance with no mic, I turned the keyboard off and on, and the problem went away.

The second time, turning off and on didn't help, but when I switched the keyboard display from non-mute to mute to non-mute, the problem went away.

Hasn't returned at home. It sucks when it's so elusive and non-repeatable.

#320769 - 04/03/11 07:37 PM Re: PSR-S910 mic volume cutting out [Re: Beakybird]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Larry,

I suspect the connection to the mic input board is either loose, or has a cold solder joint. Loose plugs have been reported in the S-910, and most of the time the plug was just not inserted far enough on the connector for it to properly lock. And, there were others that had NO connector locking latch.

Fortunately, the board is easily accessible once you get the keyboard open.

Good Luck,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#320775 - 04/03/11 10:12 PM Re: PSR-S910 mic volume cutting out [Re: travlin'easy]
Beakybird Offline

Originally Posted By: travlin'easy
Larry,

I suspect the connection to the mic input board is either loose, or has a cold solder joint. Loose plugs have been reported in the S-910, and most of the time the plug was just not inserted far enough on the connector for it to properly lock. And, there were others that had NO connector locking latch.

Fortunately, the board is easily accessible once you get the keyboard open.

Good Luck,

Gary cool

Thanks Gary. I'll tell my tech that when I bring it in. I'm going to first buy a cheap Casio digital grand so that I have something to practice on when I don't want to drag my other PSR-S910 in and out of the house to the car.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online