#320279 - 03/27/11 08:10 AM Don't Laugh! Just Got An IPad 2
BBBB Offline

done

Edited by BBBB (09/03/18 08:22 AM)

#320284 - 03/27/11 09:23 AM Re: Don't Laugh! Just Got An IPad 2 [Re: BBBB]
hammer Offline

Loc: Texas
Brian,
I have been using an Ipad for my leadsheets for almost a year now. It is hard to convince folks how clear they display until they see it in action. I have been using Music Reader Pro with my Ipad and my leadsheets are all converted to PDF format which works really well.

keep us posted.

Hammer

#320291 - 03/27/11 10:55 AM Re: Don't Laugh! Just Got An IPad 2 [Re: BBBB]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: BBBB
Well I wasn't going to succumb to the hype or stand in line for hours for something other than food. I just happened to go by a store about a half hour before the 5:00 Canadian release date. on a whim I went in and got the last 64 gig black wifi/3G. As a Mac fanboy I wanted this mostly for viewing lyrics etc when playing arranger or guitar on gigs. I am using Music Reader pro 4.08 for Mac/IPad. I am having some issues syncing my Mac Library but will sort this out. The neat thing is that the IBook app works great with PDFs and I can choose to open with Music Reader or IBook
The $5 Garage Band app is unbelievably cool.
P.S. My wife bought this for me for my 60th birthday which isn't till June but I have a gig coming up. No no binders!!!!

Cheers Brian
dance

Brian, hell no I'm not laughing.........wait till you start discovering the many things you can do with the ipad versus just using it for lyrics. I have an iPad and use it regularly for lead sheets, but that's just a bonus. BTW I'm using unReal book. I use it for everything from storing owners manuals in Good Reader to reading e-books and my magazine subscriptions in Zinio to storing my complete photo library.............the list goes on and on. I find it so useful, that if someone said you can either have a laptop or the iPad I would choose the iPad. Of course that's not to say I would ever give up my iMac. The iPad is great, but it is not substitute for a computer.

I've looked at iPad2 I'm glad they can't keep them in stock................as a Mac fan boy, I don't want to succumb to the temptation.

#320294 - 03/27/11 11:12 AM Re: Don't Laugh! Just Got An IPad 2 [Re: BBBB]
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Hi Brian, Happy Birthday in advance to you and congratulations on getting the iPad2. I assure you that the only laughter will come from the glees of joy from you appreciating how useful and fun the iPad really is not only for displaying music but for everything else it does to make your life enjoyable. I use mine everyday for checking email, reading & posting on Synthzone, surfing the web, and voice chatting with friends and associates for free on Skype.

In addition to it's so MANY other fantastic uses & enormous selection of useful apps (most all under $5), for viewing lyrics, chords, and/or lead sheets, you simply can't beat the iPad. I especially appreciate its thin compact (non audience distracting) size onstage, long battery life, touch sreen, and super bright sharp easy view ability both on a dark stage or outdoors in bright light. I've yet to see any other manufacturers that can match all of these attributes. I love being able to discreetly place my iPad right in front of my Tyros 4's LCD screen (undetectable to the audience) and then quickly remove it when it's not needed. In addition to Music Reader, and because these iPad apps are so inexpensive, I recommend you also checkout my personal fav music display apps below. Each include their own 'unique' features:

UnRealBook $4.99
MySongBook $1.99
GoodReader $4.99
iRealbook demo shown on iphone
iRealBook's Band in a Box type feature demo

#320319 - 03/27/11 05:35 PM Re: Don't Laugh! Just Got An IPad 2 [Re: Scottyee]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Scott, yep they really are some very cools apps .... and just can't beat those prices. So I guess the iPad has permanently replaced the Music Pad Pro you were once using?

#320320 - 03/27/11 06:25 PM Re: Don't Laugh! Just Got An IPad 2 [Re: Nigel]
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Hi Nigel. though I still utilize the Music Pad Pro when I want to view music scores full sized while rehearsing in the studio, when performing onstage, I utilize the smaller much lighter and thinner iPad for those songs that benefit from having a lead sheet to refer to. The ability to keep the iPad sitting at my side and then being able to quickly place it in front of the T4 screen for certain songs, and then quickly remove it without the audience ever noticing is ideal for me. No visually distracting music stand or portable office looking laptop to get in the way between you and the audience. For me, the iPad's the idea sized tablet for discreetly viewing lead sheets onstage. smile

#320324 - 03/27/11 09:30 PM Re: Don't Laugh! Just Got An IPad 2 [Re: BBBB]
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
Scott, wow that's a bonus that the T-4 display acts as a holder for the Ipad. Perhaps the T-5 display will have a built-in Ipad, to make it even more convenient.

Brian, no laughing here, congrats on your birthday gift. I'm sure it will give you many years of enjoyment.

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#320347 - 03/28/11 07:58 AM Re: Don't Laugh! Just Got An IPad 2 [Re: BBBB]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I'd like to know from anyone that's actually PLAYED the software instruments in Garage Band for the iPad2 from a MIDI keyboard, what's the latency like? How much lag is there, does it feel snappy or draggy to play?

Oh, and if you haven't seen this yet, prepare to be gobsmacked! The entire Fairlight CMI IIx as an iPad app! http://fairlightinstruments.com.au/ios including the entire original library, Page D step sequencer and 3D waveform capability. A $100,000 synth as an iPad app!

Bloody hell!

(Can't wait for an iPad Synclavier, next!)

#320367 - 03/28/11 09:47 AM Re: Don't Laugh! Just Got An IPad 2 [Re: BBBB]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
$40 for a Fairlight is still insane! And the website is very clear about the difference between the basic and Pro version of the app. Most of what you are hearing is probably from impulse buyers who couldn't be bothered to check out the details before they bought it.

TBH, the iTunes model for buying cheap software gets into a bit of trouble when it comes to Pro apps that, in the past, if sold as VSTi's, would probably have cost several hundred dollars. Asking for $40 for the FULL version, including much of the CMI III's library too, is still the bargain of the decade!

Check out what Arturia's models of things like the Jupiter-8 or CS-80 cost as a comparison. If only they were $40 a pop! When I get my iPad2, I am getting this one for sure! Even if only just to be able to say "I have a Fairlight!" which, thirty years ago, made you one of a tiny elite group of players..!

#320384 - 03/28/11 11:55 AM Re: Don't Laugh! Just Got An IPad 2 [Re: BBBB]
miden Offline

Loc: The World
You guys do know that Garageband and Fairlight run on ipad 1 with iOS4.3 don't you ?

Why spend all that extra money and get what is essentially the same box? Plenty of bargain iPad 1's around (still new!!).

You could get an iPad 1 with 64gig AND 3g for about half the price of a iPad 2 32 gig!!

Anyway, it's your money I suppose. There won't be anything significantly different until iPad 3 next year.

Dennis

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online