SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#320101 - 03/25/11 01:07 AM Re: Tyros 4 - Home amplification [Re: travlin'easy]
Tony Hughes Offline

Its got me beat when you buy a £4500 kb and then bash it through a £145 set of speakers, 10ft x 10ft room OK, but any more and surley thats it!
Tyros 4/Pair SR 350/ PC with a i8 intel chip, XENYX 802, Ford Focus 2 litre/Tascam DR07/Brother printer/Designjet 500/ our Doris/5 Grandchildren/ white boxers short Kymart shipped over and Typhoo Tea Earl Grey

#320109 - 03/25/11 05:26 AM Re: Tyros 4 - Home amplification [Re: arcadia]
arcadia Offline

Loc: Australia
Many thanks to all who replied to my query. It was Diki's remarks that got me thinking again about my present set up. I realise now that I only wanted to change because my gear was old. As Diki pointed out B&O speakers are pretty top drawer and even after thirty five years they still perform well and don't distort at high levels.

I could have shelled out for a new system only to find the old one was better! So I've decided to keep the present set up and only change it when and if it finally cracks up.
Thanks again,
Cleon

#320111 - 03/25/11 05:45 AM Re: Tyros 4 - Home amplification [Re: Tony Hughes]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Originally Posted By: Tony Hughes

Its got me beat when you buy a £4500 kb and then bash it through a £145 set of speakers, 10ft x 10ft room OK, but any more and surley thats it!

When I gig, I use a rented pair of Bose L1's and/or a pair of Yamaha MS-60S powered monitors (which were about $800 each back in the day when I bought them; 20 years ago) so I'm not afraid to spend money on a great system, but, until you've heard the Tyros4 (or any other higher-end arranger) through a pair of these Logitech Z-2300's, you haven't really had an "awesome bang-for-the-buck" experience.

Yes, Tony, they are cheap at less than $200 (Canadian), but they have a terrific, full, balanced sound that is quite loud and does not sound cheap. Given Logitech's great reputation for reliability, it is a speaker system I highly recommend...in fact it is better overall (in my opinion, of course) than some so-called "pro" systems that cost far more.

Take a Z-2300 system home and try it on your present arranger (Audya?)...they also have a great return policy(here in Canada, at least) so you won't be taking much of a risk. I bought one for my Playstation II video game, and another for my PC as well.

Try them out and give us a review. wink

Ian

#320123 - 03/25/11 08:35 AM Re: Tyros 4 - Home amplification [Re: arcadia]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Ian, I can only add that Logitech's customer support is second to none, or at least on a par with Bose.
There are several who had a problem with the 2200s. They called them up and were all sent a totally new system and told to keep the old one!
I have two Z2200s and a Z5500. The 5500 is used for surround sound on my TV in the living room (WAY overkill, I know).
One of the 2200s is my computer sound system. The other I keep in a bag for a backup or second pa system. I have played up to 50 or 60 people with it with no regrets.
DonM

#320130 - 03/25/11 09:42 AM Re: Tyros 4 - Home amplification [Re: arcadia]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Anyone that has heard a pair of TOTL speakers from say forty years ago, Klipsch, B&O, JBL, Koss electrostatics, as long as they haven't been thrashed to death, you are still hearing exceptional speakers, even by today's standards. TBH, a LOT more attention was payed to flatness and color back then than does now except at the audiophile end of the spectrum (completely out of the OP's price range).

The only shortcoming from them might be a lack of extended low end range, as mastering standards only had to deal with LP's back then.

To the OP (Cleon), I might suggest if you feel your low end isn't quite up to task (and that would probably only be if you are doing a fair amount of dance music!) that a small powered subwoofer be added to your current rig to add a hair more depth.

And, kudos for taking the time to THINK about whether you really need to upgrade, rather than rushing out to buy the first thing our somewhat gear-crazy forum suggests. We have a habit here of recommending what WE use far too readily, rather than taking a careful look at the poster's TRUE needs, as if that will somehow validate our purchase more...

Guys! C'mon..! rolleyes

Don't you even REMEMBER B&O stuff? It was on the front page of audiophile magazines all through the seventies. You EVER seen a picture of a Logitech system on the front page of one of those? Things might have changed, but they haven't changed THAT much!

Don't get me wrong... Logitech stuff is a good bang for the buck, and a cheaper alternative to the overpriced sub and satellite systems that the arranger manufacturers would LIKE us to buy (theirs!), but hi-fi it is NOT...

#320135 - 03/25/11 10:45 AM Re: Tyros 4 - Home amplification [Re: DonM]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Originally Posted By: DonM
Ian, I can only add that Logitech's customer support is second to none, or at least on a par with Bose.
There are several who had a problem with the 2200s. They called them up and were all sent a totally new system and told to keep the old one!
I have two Z2200s and a Z5500. The 5500 is used for surround sound on my TV in the living room (WAY overkill, I know).
One of the 2200s is my computer sound system. The other I keep in a bag for a backup or second pa system. I have played up to 50 or 60 people with it with no regrets.
DonM

Yeah Logitech! Absolutely superb customer support.

Don, what impressed me most about the Z-2300 is the headroom, the quality of the sound, and that wicked sub-woofer (nice tight un-flabby bass).

I've had several clients drop by the house and, almost to a person, they have left with the intentions of getting the Z-2300.

A friend of mine has the Z-5500, which is even more awesome (Scott Yee has a custom cabinet made for his Z-5500), but it's overkill for what I would ever need...the Z-2300's are plenty for most home applications, and, yes, even great to use at a small venue.

To me, the Z-2300 was a nice discovery...I doubt very much if Logitech meant that it be a terrific keyboard system, but, it is.

Ian

#320246 - 03/26/11 05:57 PM Re: Tyros 4 - Home amplification [Re: arcadia]
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
I have the Mackie HR series...SUPER. and built to take it long term.
They have a VERY nice one that is around $450.00 each.

#320254 - 03/26/11 09:05 PM Re: Tyros 4 - Home amplification [Re: arcadia]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I second the Mackie nearfield recommendation (run a pair of HR824's myself), but close to a grand might be a bit pricey, given he's already got some nice-ish speakers in the first place...

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online