SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#319999 - 03/23/11 09:31 PM Tyros 4 - Home amplification
arcadia Offline

Loc: Australia
Like many new Tyros 4 owners I am a home player and for extra amplification in addition to the TRS MS04 satellites I am using a pair of Bang and Olusen S45 speakers, (one 7" and two 4" speakers in each cabiinet. The amplifier I am using is a budget NAD stereo amp.

Now, I know the B&O speakers are quality built and although they are 36 years old they still sound pretty good. I also realise that speaker technology must have improved out of sight in the last thirty years or so, and it would be nice to update this part of the set up and hopefully even further improve the great sound of this keyboard.

There is a company in the UK recommending KRK active monitor speakers (also available here in Australia) for the Tyros 4 and wonder if any of the forum members have any experience or knowledge of these products. There is a large range from 4" to 8" speakers and vary in price from $500 a pair to around $1500.

Any info on this subject would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Cleon

#320009 - 03/24/11 04:51 AM Re: Tyros 4 - Home amplification [Re: arcadia]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Some studio monitors will work really well for home use. I bought the cheapest studio montitors that Guitar Center sells: Audiophile. They're 4". They less cost than $200.00 for the pair. They sound very nice. I wish I could get as good a sound with my (very expensive) Bose Compact...

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#320018 - 03/24/11 07:53 AM Re: Tyros 4 - Home amplification [Re: arcadia]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
I use a Logitech Z-2300 for some home use...I usually use my Yamaha MS-60S powered monitors.

The Logitech system is one of the best "bang for the buck" systems out there.

Ian

#320022 - 03/24/11 08:42 AM Re: Tyros 4 - Home amplification [Re: montunoman]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
WATCH IT...you are treading dangerous waters... smile

The Bose camp will be all over you.. cry

I think what you hear with the cheaper system ..are mids that are not as clear on the Compact...we tested this last year with proven results using a "room control" feature with my Edirol mixer...that made the Compact come to life...

#320023 - 03/24/11 08:48 AM Re: Tyros 4 - Home amplification [Re: Fran Carango]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Originally Posted By: Fran Carango
I think what you hear with the cheaper system ..are mids that are not as clear on the Compact...we tested this last year with proven results using a "room control" feature with my Edirol mixer...that made the Compact come to life...

Perhaps you are right... I think what I miss most though is the great stereo effect that I get with my home system. Maybe I'll get another Compact with a mixer and see if that works for me.

Sorry Acadia to get away from your topic smile

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#320025 - 03/24/11 09:00 AM Re: Tyros 4 - Home amplification [Re: ianmcnll]
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Originally Posted By: ianmcnll
I use a Logitech Z-2300 . The Logitech system is one of the best "bang for the buck" systems out there.

Ditto +1 rocker

#320029 - 03/24/11 09:26 AM Re: Tyros 4 - Home amplification [Re: arcadia]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
If these are just for home use, don't go overboard in assuming that there has been a 'radical' improvement in speakers over the last forty years!

B&O stuff was some of the best stuff you could buy back then, whereas Logitech is some of the CHEAPEST stuff you can buy now. It's good, but for sound balance over a set of B&O's? I doubt it.

What's your current problem with the rig you have other than worrying about it being old? Does it distort? If not, what's the issue?

#320048 - 03/24/11 12:36 PM Re: Tyros 4 - Home amplification [Re: Diki]
Tony Hughes Offline

Hi Diki,

I have been in our local music store today and they have a T3 and an Audya connect to a set of Bose, £150.00 and it makes my pair of 350 SR sound tosh, I couldn't believe what I was hearing.Think I paid about £800.00 for the SRs. I will find out what model, perhaps home use only.

Tony

Found it

http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalog...ed=0CGQQ8wIwAg#

Edited by Tony Hughes (03/24/11 12:39 PM)
Tyros 4/Pair SR 350/ PC with a i8 intel chip, XENYX 802, Ford Focus 2 litre/Tascam DR07/Brother printer/Designjet 500/ our Doris/5 Grandchildren/ white boxers short Kymart shipped over and Typhoo Tea Earl Grey

#320055 - 03/24/11 01:48 PM Re: Tyros 4 - Home amplification [Re: arcadia]
Tonewheeldude Offline

I have been testing SOLTON equipment the last few weeks - and I am very impressed indeed. The HoneySat is one of the best systems I have heard in that price range. Its not as good as Ketrons B&O based system, but then it is only a fraction of the cost. Their Stage Monitors (MF300A) are just amazing for the price.

Hands down, the best budget priced home system on the market (imho) is the "Clarifier" which is under £100 and looks smart with a Tyros or Audya.

#320061 - 03/24/11 02:18 PM Re: Tyros 4 - Home amplification [Re: Diki]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Originally Posted By: Diki
If these are just for home use, don't go overboard in assuming that there has been a 'radical' improvement in speakers over the last forty years!

Surely you jest!

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online