SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#319864 - 03/22/11 09:59 AM Re: Ethics and the jobs you play... [Re: Bill in Dayton]
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Man, did I get things off track. The question of ethics and performance involves much more than the nursing home issue.

What about others? Where do you draw the line(s)?

Russ

#319865 - 03/22/11 10:01 AM Re: Ethics and the jobs you play... [Re: captain Russ]
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
Russ-

Did you not see or just skip the last 11 words I wrote on my previous post?

We're singing the same song, lol...

Edited by Bill in Dayton (03/22/11 10:02 AM)

#319866 - 03/22/11 10:04 AM Re: Ethics and the jobs you play... [Re: captain Russ]
WDMcM
Unregistered

This thread is taking a turn that may just send it to the Bar, which is fine. But let's not forget the original question that Russ asked, "How do ethics or your principles affect where and for whom you play?
Granted he did slightly touch on a political issue and of course the nursing home, etc. issues, but I think the main question is still an interesting one.

#319871 - 03/22/11 11:46 AM Re: Ethics and the jobs you play... [Re: Bill in Dayton]

Bill, sorry, I was called by Hospice on Tess and in a hurry to get to the home (she died at around 12:30AM). I did NOT do you the earned courtesy of reading your last line.

Sorry for the "single focus" but I've always thrown everything I have into every project, and this nursing home issue is what I want my legacy to be.

We need to visit, soon!

Russ

#319872 - 03/22/11 11:52 AM Re: Ethics and the jobs you play... [Re: captain Russ]

Dave, I was such a drinker for so many years that, when I quit in 1988, I decided never to play bars. I play patios and dining rooms with full bar service, so I'm talking out of two sides of my mouth, but it makes me feel bad to think I'm contributing to the alcoholism problem.

For so many years, I got "mellow", let's say, with the crowd. As the only sober one in a lounge, the world looks vastly different. I saw how drinking ruined health, careers, families, etc.

That's something I really feel bad about and am struggling to not be involved in. It's really difficult (read "impossible") to find jobs where drinking isn't part of the program.

Russ (reformed alcoholic) Lay

#319889 - 03/22/11 03:08 PM Re: Ethics and the jobs you play... [Re: captain Russ]
freddynl Offline

Loc: netherlands
ethics and performance...

How about bar owners who like to get a free ride!

You can play for some expences and free drinks frown

We allways refuse these offers!
(and believe me we do not need the money, we are playing for fun with our band)
1. These owners usually underpay there staff.
2. You ruin the market for professionals who need to make there living out of these jobs
3. Bringing + 10.000 euro's in equipment and getting payed
by drinks and some expenses, doesn't make sense at all..

#319909 - 03/22/11 10:41 PM Re: Ethics and the jobs you play... [Re: freddynl]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Originally Posted By: freddynl
ethics and performance...

We allways refuse these offers!
(and believe me we do not need the money, we are playing for fun with our band)
1. These owners usually underpay there staff.
2. You ruin the market for professionals who need to make there living out of these jobs
3. Bringing + 10.000 euro's in equipment and getting payed
by drinks and some expenses, doesn't make sense at all..

I thank you from the bottom of my pocket book/ I mean my heart.
There are countless "musicians" around here who will play for chicken feed and drinks. They ruin the prices for everybody.
DonM

#319912 - 03/23/11 12:24 AM Re: Ethics and the jobs you play... [Re: freddynl]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Originally Posted By: freddynl
We always refuse these offers!

You bet. It sets a very bad precedent.

#319929 - 03/23/11 05:57 AM Re: Ethics and the jobs you play... [Re: captain Russ]
WDMcM
Unregistered

Kind of an aside to the OP but still regarding ethics. Don't know if this has happened in other parts of the U.S. but I don't see why not. ASCAP or BMI (not sure which, maybe both) have hired local musicians to go undercover and search out clubs that don't pay royalty fees and then rat them out along with the musicians that play those clubs. I know of several musicians who lost regular long-term weekly gigs due to this. The question is who deserves the term 'unethical' to be attached to their name the most, ASCAP or BMI for coming up with the idea, the club owner for not paying royalty fees, or the musician(s) doing the ratting-out?

#319930 - 03/23/11 06:39 AM Re: Ethics and the jobs you play... [Re: Bill in Dayton]
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.

“An ethical person ought to do more than he's required to do and less than he's allowed to do”

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online