SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#319808 - 03/21/11 03:59 PM What do You Play:Keyboards, Synthesizer, Piano ?!
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Here in the US, playing keyboards typically refers to playing any one of the following:

Piano
Synthesizer
Arranger Keyboard
Electronic Piano

Interestingly enough, in Europe (except the UK), if you say you play keyboards, it specifically refers to playing an 'arranger' keyboard, not a synthesizer, piano, or even an electronic piano. I found this quite an interesting revelation, having learned this when speaking with Joost (Synthzone member Tostie), who lives in the Netherlands) on Skype today. I love Skype because it provides the opportunity to live voice & video chat (for free) with arranger keyboard friends from all around the world. Joost, it was a pleasure video-voice chatting with you today. - Scott cool

#319814 - 03/21/11 04:36 PM Re: What do You Play:Keyboards, Synthesizer, Piano ?! [Re: Scottyee]
Tostie Offline

The pleasure was mine! Despite my heavy Dutch accent we were able to have a good conversation grin

#319820 - 03/21/11 05:14 PM Re: What do You Play:Keyboards, Synthesizer, Piano ?! [Re: Tostie]
Scottyee Offline

Originally Posted By: Tostie
Despite my heavy Dutch accent we were able to have a good conversation grin

I agree rocker
oh and don't forget my CA-li-FOR-nia accent! bounce
Joost, I thought your spoken English very easy to understand! clap

#319861 - 03/22/11 09:46 AM Re: What do You Play:Keyboards, Synthesizer, Piano ?! [Re: Scottyee]
Joesax Offline

Loc: Southern New Jersey
Scott:

I would consider myself a Keyboard Player (Tyros 3) as I have never had piano lessons nor owned a piano. Up until 2007 I played Tenor Sax for many years so I definitely do not have piano - two-handed skills at this point. I'd like to also own a Synth in the near future. ( Motif or Motif Rack )
Tyros 3, Motif XF6, Quad Amp/Pre-Amp/DAC, Quad Monitors, Tascam Digital Recorder

#319883 - 03/22/11 01:51 PM Re: What do You Play:Keyboards, Synthesizer, Piano ?! [Re: Joesax]
Scottyee Offline

Originally Posted By: Joesax

I would consider myself a Keyboard Player (Tyros 3) as I have never had piano lessons nor owned a piano. Up until 2007 I played Tenor Sax for many years so I definitely do not have piano - two-handed skills at this point. I'd like to also own a Synth in the near future. ( Motif or Motif Rack )
Joe, from your standpoint as an American, would you consider someone that only plays synthesizer workstations (Yamaha Motif, Roland Fantom, Korg Kronos, etc), but not auto accomp arrangers, someone that plays 'keyboards'? Joost says that in the Netherlands and most of Europe (except the U.K.) the 'keyboards' term is strictly reserved to refering to 'auto accomp' arranger keyboards only. juggle

#319887 - 03/22/11 02:49 PM Re: What do You Play:Keyboards, Synthesizer, Piano ?! [Re: Scottyee]
freddynl Offline

Loc: netherlands
Hello Scott, I would like to bring some nuance here...
It totally depends to whom and about what you are talking.
While I agree with Joost that if you say that you play an instrument and then say I play keyboard, first thing people think about is "arranger keyboard". (most people in the Netherlands know what an arranger keyboard is!)
If you say I play keyboard in a band, first thing people ask
Oh, what are you playing? piano? Synthesizer? They don'even think about arranger keyboard.
The confusion is there due to the fact that the last thirty years, dutch is mixed with more and more english words.

If people ask me what do I play, I say "toetsen" which is the dutch word for "keys" and which basically covers them all smile
and is very often an arranger keyboard laugh

#319891 - 03/22/11 03:48 PM Re: What do You Play:Keyboards, Synthesizer, Piano ?! [Re: Scottyee]
Songman55 Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD USA
At home when I was growing up, we had a Hammmond M2 organ and an old clunker piano. I grew up playing both. My dad was an outstanding pianist and trumpet player. He played the organ for fun. In college I studied classical piano. In bands from high school on I played organ. I started doing a OMB in 1971 using B 3 and a drum machine and a Shure Vocal Master. From age 15 I was a church organist. Thru the years I have played various keyboard combinations. When I played my first arranger I knew I was hooked. Today I wouldn't play anything else on the job. I still love to play a really nice grand piano. I currently have a Yamaha C3 6 foot grand. I am also fortunate enough to have the same piano at the church where I am the music director. I have an organist so I don't have to play church organ anymore. When asked what I play, I usually answer keyboards rather than go thru this long explanation.

Joe

#319893 - 03/22/11 04:42 PM Re: What do You Play:Keyboards, Synthesizer, Piano ?! [Re: Scottyee]
Scottyee Offline

Hi Joe (Songman55), I concur. I started out studying and playing acoustic piano at four, followed by synthesizer in high school ( Korg 707) and a 01wFD workstation in college. My first arranger was a Roland RA800 along with a Fatar 1176 keyboard controller, and then a Technics KN5000, followed by a Yamaha PSR2000 and subsequently, Yamaha Tyros 1, 2, and now Tyros 4. I also continue to play my Steinway B Grand all along. When people ask me what I play, in attempt to cover all above, I simply say "keyboards and vocal" and they seem to understand this as including piano, synthesizer, plus vocals. What most people aren't familiar with are the tern 'arranger' and 'auto accompaniment' probably because it isn't as widely utilized/accepted in the US yet as a keyboard performance instrument, as it is more in Europe. Perhaps this accounts for the US vs European "keyboards" nomenclature difference. Anybody else care to add anything? smile

#319907 - 03/22/11 10:35 PM Re: What do You Play:Keyboards, Synthesizer, Piano ?! [Re: Scottyee]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
The vast majority of people here don't know what an arranger is. They invariably think my laptop is providing all the music. Some may give me credit for playing along with it.
They almost never ask "do you know Summer Wind?" They ask "Do you have Summer Wind in there?"
I guess it doesn't really matter since I'm working 5 nights a week, but it is aggravating.
If you use TWO keyboards on stage, then miraculously everybody thinks you are a REAL musician, even if you don't play either one of them!
Years ago I had a really big mirror behind me, tilted at an angle so the audience could see the reflection of the keyboard and me playing it. But that was an organ, before arrangers and before everybody could do karaoke on their PC.
Rant, rant, rave.
DonM

#319927 - 03/23/11 05:48 AM Re: What do You Play:Keyboards, Synthesizer, Piano ?! [Re: DonM]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: DonM
The vast majority of people here don't know what an arranger is. They invariably think my laptop is providing all the music. Some may give me credit for playing along with it.
They almost never ask "do you know Summer Wind?" They ask "Do you have Summer Wind in there?"
I guess it doesn't really matter since I'm working 5 nights a week, but it is aggravating.
If you use TWO keyboards on stage, then miraculously everybody thinks you are a REAL musician, even if you don't play either one of them!
Years ago I had a really big mirror behind me, tilted at an angle so the audience could see the reflection of the keyboard and me playing it. But that was an organ, before arrangers and before everybody could do karaoke on their PC.
Rant, rant, rave.
DonM

It's simple Don....in their eyes..

your on stage playing a KB as a OMB

they Hear a Full Band

they don't SEE a FULL band

in their mind it's recorded & coming from somewhere besides that KB

that equals DJ or KJ, Tape, CD, LT, Backing Tracks, of some kind that your singing along with....

This mindset is definitly "here to stay" as it's to late for the audiences accustomed to today's high technology have been re-transformed in their live vs everything else mentality. Sad but true, fighting it is futile.

#319931 - 03/23/11 06:49 AM Re: What do You Play:Keyboards, Synthesizer, Piano ?! [Re: Scottyee]
Dnj Offline

PS....and in reality what is "LIVE" about playing Automatic styles?

To me "LIVE" is one person or persons each playing a single solo instrument...the rest is some sort of automation.....just sayin'.

Edited by Dnj (03/23/11 06:54 AM)

#319934 - 03/23/11 07:09 AM Re: What do You Play:Keyboards, Synthesizer, Piano ?! [Re: Scottyee]
Joesax Offline

Loc: Southern New Jersey
Scott:

I would consider anyone who is playing just chords on the Left a Keyboard player. What's the difference if your playing a chord or a style? So if you can play accompaniment, counter melody, on the left then I would consider that a piano player. Doesn't matter what instrument you are playing. It's all about the technique. That's my personal opinion. Others may define it differently.
Tyros 3, Motif XF6, Quad Amp/Pre-Amp/DAC, Quad Monitors, Tascam Digital Recorder

#319950 - 03/23/11 09:36 AM Re: What do You Play:Keyboards, Synthesizer, Piano ?! [Re: Joesax]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Donny, that's why I'm doing the month of March with no automation at all. 30 jobs and counting. Different mindset, but working out GREAT!

May stop using arrangers live-just for film roughs.

Russ

#319951 - 03/23/11 10:16 AM Re: What do You Play:Keyboards, Synthesizer, Piano ?! [Re: Scottyee]
Scottyee Offline

To summarize the difference:

Keyboard (American/British Definition):
- 'any' musical instrument played by means of a piano-like keyboard, ie: a piano, electric piano, organ, synthesizer, or arranger keyboard.

Keyboard(European Definition):
- an instrument played by means of a piano-like keyboard, but which specifically includes 'auto accomp' styles & arranger features

#319953 - 03/23/11 10:23 AM Re: What do You Play:Keyboards, Synthesizer, Piano ?! [Re: captain Russ]
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Originally Posted By: captain Russ
30 jobs and counting. Different mindset, but working out GREAT!

Russ

Man, who is YOUR agent??? 30 gigs in a month..Wow (and the month isn't near over yet!)

Dennis

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online