SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#320288 - 03/27/11 10:24 AM Re: So where does everyone practice? [Re: Bill Lewis]
Tony Hughes Offline

Bill look in 5 demos of Korg French, in the dark.
Tyros 4/Pair SR 350/ PC with a i8 intel chip, XENYX 802, Ford Focus 2 litre/Tascam DR07/Brother printer/Designjet 500/ our Doris/5 Grandchildren/ white boxers short Kymart shipped over and Typhoo Tea Earl Grey

#320290 - 03/27/11 10:54 AM Re: So where does everyone practice? [Re: Bill Lewis]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Depends on WHAT practice I need! if it's my backstroke, then .... smile

Attachments
IMAG0143.jpg

IMAG0107.jpg

#320292 - 03/27/11 11:04 AM Re: So where does everyone practice? [Re: Uncle Dave]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Uncle Dave
Depends on WHAT practice I need! if it's my backstroke, then .... smile

Nice setup, no not the instruments, the pool!! smirk

#320333 - 03/28/11 04:47 AM Re: So where does everyone practice? [Re: Bill Lewis]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Yeah ... I loves me my pool!

#320343 - 03/28/11 07:43 AM Re: So where does everyone practice? [Re: ianmcnll]
Diki Online   content

Loc: NW Florida
Originally Posted By: ianmcnll
Very nice setup, Chas...that red color of the C1 sorta grows on you, don't it? You also have lots of space, so it isn't claustrophobic.

The right environment is so important.

Ian

Claustrophobic?! Ian, that C1 is smaller than a T4 (OK, OK, it's 3/4" taller!) and only two pounds heavier... wink

#320348 - 03/28/11 07:58 AM Re: So where does everyone practice? [Re: Bill Lewis]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Ha ha...Diki...I meant the room itself. All my important stuff...keyboard, PC, Video game/TV, comfy bed, and power operated recliner chair, are in one room...thankfully, it is a large ex-living room. Chas's room looks ideal!

I played a brand new Hammond XK3c (system-two manuals) Saturday (a buddy of mine just got it), and, it is so close to the "real deal" it's scary.

Don't get me wrong, the Nord C1 is very nice, and much lighter (and way less expensive) too, but, it just doesn't have the same feel (response)....playing the XK3c with your eyes closed, it is exactly like playing a mint B-3/C-3.

For the amount of organ playing I do with my own personal stuff, the Tyros4 is more than enough.

Ian

PS...He was waiting over 10 weeks for the XK3c...they are apparently in short supply.

#320349 - 03/28/11 08:10 AM Re: So where does everyone practice? [Re: Bill Lewis]
Diki Online   content

Loc: NW Florida
Oh, c'mon! You KNOW that light weight beats feel and response any day, here at SZ! wink

I haven't played the full 2 keyboard XK3c system yet, but I did get down on a Mini B by Hammond (the replica wooden one) and well as the Portable B3 Hammond replica. Very nice, but I didn't quite feel the same as you about the action. Maybe it's just that most real B's have been played in quite a bit, but both those actions felt a little stiffer, or springier (hard to describe) or something 'not quite right' compared to the B's I've played lately.

Just glad I don't have to hump one... wink

#320377 - 03/28/11 10:54 AM Re: So where does everyone practice? [Re: Diki]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Originally Posted By: Diki
Oh, c'mon! You KNOW that light weight beats feel and response any day, here at SZ! wink

I haven't played the full 2 keyboard XK3c system yet, but I did get down on a Mini B by Hammond (the replica wooden one) and well as the Portable B3 Hammond replica. Very nice, but I didn't quite feel the same as you about the action. Maybe it's just that most real B's have been played in quite a bit, but both those actions felt a little stiffer, or springier (hard to describe) or something 'not quite right' compared to the B's I've played lately.

Just glad I don't have to hump one... wink

Well sometimes "light weight" rules because of many deciding factors, but, thankfully, there are very few "bad feeling" and "poor responsive" 'boards being made today...at least I haven't played any. The days of actions like in the old Crumar organs/pianos, and other past delights are, thankfully, long gone.

Playing the XK3c in two full keyboard mode is a must, in my opinion...with the special stand, it is solid...I always say, "You don't 'play' a B-3...you 'ride' it."

The big difference is in the XK3c's key contact system...it works exactly like real B-3's...in fact, they are pretty well identical.

Press a B-3 (or XK3c) key down slowly, and you can hear the individual harmonics come in...you can't do that on a Nord C1, a G-70, a Tyros4 or even Hammond's own, XK1.

It is almost touch/velocity sensitive in it's own unique way. The Tyros4 doesn't even come close, nor does any other arranger (or organ) I've ever played.

My buddy Donnie, is tickled with his new Hammond, and, I must say, I can understand why.

Ian

#320391 - 03/28/11 02:04 PM Re: So where does everyone practice? [Re: Bill Lewis]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Oooohhh---- you guys are killing me. Just had a meeting today with another contractor about mods to our summer soon to be full time home. The only way I'm going to have a practice room is if I do it myself in the garage. And now your talking about Hammonds too. Both my acoustic pianos are gone and my beloved Mint Cherrywood B3 is going to have to go too. I'm also considering selling my XK3 for something smaller like the Roland VR700. And moving from my Roland G1000 to the BK7M module with a lightweight piano. I'm even looking at smaller and less PA stuff. Gotta downsize all the way around.
BTW nice pics. I'm enjoying the peek into everyones "stuff"

So let me throw this out and keep the thread alive.

What's the least amount of "stuff" you could live with if you had to get rid of a lot? Lets say you had to move to a small apartment.

I keep using the word "Stuff" because I keep thinking about an old George Carlin bit about how we get bigger places so we can have more "stuff" Really funny bit

Bill in NJ

#320393 - 03/28/11 02:11 PM Re: So where does everyone practice? [Re: Bill Lewis]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Roland G70 and a Cube 100 keyboard amp..takes care of piano and drawbar organ...plus arranger and mic/harmony..

No compromise...and still a small but powerful set up.. smile

Bill you being a g1000 man..Have you ever tried the G70..I think it is a perfect match for you...46 pounds compared to 41 pound G1000..I have to get together with you so you can check it out..

Edited by Fran Carango (03/28/11 02:14 PM)

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online