SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#319451 - 03/16/11 11:03 AM Re: Best combo amp for arranger keyboard [Re: Diki]
WDMcM
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: Diki
Good story, Dave. Mind you, there's as much Behringer gear with controls and the like directly soldered to the motherboard as isn't.

This particular amp (and many others) yes, physically, the knobs HAVE to be away from the mainboard. But a lot of B's effects units, rack processors and small gear of all kinds uses surface mounted controls.

Box of chocolates indeed...!

I see what you're saying. I'm sure the same can be said about most other brands as well though, don't you think?

#319455 - 03/16/11 11:14 AM Re: Best combo amp for arranger keyboard [Re: Mockie]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Actually, look above (OK, previous page!), and you'll see I DID say it... rolleyes

#319457 - 03/16/11 11:31 AM Re: Best combo amp for arranger keyboard [Re: Diki]
WDMcM
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: Diki
Actually, look above (OK, previous page!), and you'll see I DID say it... rolleyes

Why yes you did, sorry.

#319541 - 03/17/11 03:26 PM Re: Best combo amp for arranger keyboard [Re: Nigel]
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
A JazzKat Fat Cat. 200 watts. A little pricey, ($1000.00 plus) and only a 12. I use it on keyboard/vocal, guitar/vocal and arranger/vocal jobs.

It's currently my "go to" amp for almost everything.

Check them out.

R.
It's also great for bass for small jobs.

#319544 - 03/17/11 04:10 PM Re: Best combo amp for arranger keyboard [Re: captain Russ]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: captain Russ
A JazzKat Fat Cat. 200 watts. A little pricey, ($1000.00 plus) and only a 12. I use it on keyboard/vocal, guitar/vocal and arranger/vocal jobs.

Check them out.
R.
It's also great for bass for small jobs.

http://www.jazzkatamps.com/artists.htm

#319557 - 03/17/11 09:35 PM Re: Best combo amp for arranger keyboard [Re: captain Russ]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA

That looks very nice Russ. It reminds me a bit of the Traynor K4 I use for keyboards that can double as a guitar amp because it has an AX7 tube on one of the channels that can be turned on/off and even has an overdrive control to get some grit if needed. Actually I always run my Motif 6 through the tube channel as it just seems to give it more bite ... I always love those darned tubes.

#319582 - 03/18/11 09:26 AM Re: Best combo amp for arranger keyboard [Re: Nigel]

Me, too, Nigel! Tubes RULE! Just rebuilt a little 30's no name amplifier that used to be sold via magazines and radio with a lap steel, books, etc. for $29.95.

I bought the combination for my work at the University. It is an early example of infomercials. A marketing company would provide the content to stations (radio, obviously-then TV in the 50's) no charge, which was a 1/2 hour of Hawaiian music, dancers, etc. All the commercials were in place for the steel combo, with space for two sold by the station. The marketing company simply contracted for the manufacturing of, say 100,000 units and used a name they came up with.

From a media standpoint, the two of these sets I have are valuable.

For an old "picker and grinner", they're priceless!

Ever play lap steel?

Russ

#319583 - 03/18/11 10:00 AM Re: Best combo amp for arranger keyboard [Re: captain Russ]

Nigel and others: I met the JazzKat guys at Summer NAMM 2009, where they gave me a pro deal on the original JazzKat-90 watts, cool as hell for puree jazz guitar. Later, they cut me another unbelievalbe deal on the FatKat.

At that time, I met a little "guitar powerhouse" guy named Frankie Cicala. There is a very rough YouTube piece from Winter NAMM 2009 of Frankie, Bernard Purdie, Stevie Wonder's piano player and others doing a version of Europa.

It was posted on the JazzKat site, but I think that Frankie worked the Jazzkat booth that year but never signed an endorsement deal. It is bittersweet to me, because a possible relationship with the company disappeared shortly thereafter when I got hurt.

Tony M and I discussed this piece several years ago. It's rough as hell (bad footage AND SOUND) but What PLAYERS!

It was a loosely organized JazzKat sponsored booth...spontaneous and GREAT!

The tune was good anyway, but these guys put their own stamp on it which is, for me, a highlight of the music I've found in recent times, and a perfect example of the "off the cuff", unspoken interaction between players I find so satisfying.

Last time I found it, I searched YouTube-Jazzkat, Frankie Cicala Europa. I'll look for it later (on a film deadline ),
but man, is it a little gem!

Watch for Frankie, folks...he's a GEM of a player!

Russ

#319584 - 03/18/11 10:09 AM Re: Best combo amp for arranger keyboard [Re: captain Russ]
Dnj Offline

Nigel and others: I met the JazzKat guys at Summer NAMM 2009, where they gave me a pro deal on the original JazzKat-90 watts, cool as hell for puree jazz guitar. Later, they cut me another unbelievalbe deal on the FatKat.

At that time, I met a little "guitar powerhouse" guy named Frankie Cicala. There is a very rough YouTube piece from Winter NAMM 2009 of Frankie, Bernard Purdie, Stevie Wonder's piano player and others doing a version of Europa.

It was posted on the JazzKat site, but I think that Frankie worked the Jazzkat booth that year but never signed an endorsement deal. It is bittersweet to me, because a possible relationship with the company disappeared shortly thereafter when I got hurt.

Tony M and I discussed this piece several years ago. It's rough as hell (bad footage AND SOUND) but What PLAYERS!

It was a loosely organized JazzKat sponsored booth...spontaneous and GREAT!

The tune was good anyway, but these guys put their own stamp on it which is, for me, a highlight of the music I've found in recent times, and a perfect example of the "off the cuff", unspoken interaction between players I find so satisfying.

Last time I found it, I searched YouTube-Jazzkat, Frankie Cicala Europa. I'll look for it later (on a film deadline ),
but man, is it a little gem!

Watch for Frankie, folks...he's a GEM of a player!

Russ

#319587 - 03/18/11 01:46 PM Re: Best combo amp for arranger keyboard [Re: Dnj]

Those are the little basic 90 watters-no tube pre-amp-8" speaker. I use mine all the time for guitar singles-all instrumental. The FatKat is 200 Watts, two channel, on-board effects, 12' speaker, tube pre-amp-voiced for bass and keys, with XLR connection and extension speaker jack.

This is a good find, Donny, but I really want to locate the Europa cut from 2009 summer NAMM.

It's truely a musical find, bad quality recording and all.

Look at Jazz Kat folks. Great stuff! Mine is used 5 jobs a week on bass, arranger and guitar-not a hitch for over 2 years.

Plus, they're US made by a company owned by musicians. Some of the people came from Polytone, I believe-another favorite of "Jazzers".

R.

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online