SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#319379 - 03/15/11 03:46 PM Re: Weighted vs Semi-Weighted Keyboards [Re: Joesax]
miden Offline

Loc: The World
No, sorry Fran, it is a different keybed smile
It is not the TP8/SK

Dennis

#319381 - 03/15/11 03:49 PM Re: Weighted vs Semi-Weighted Keyboards [Re: Joesax]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Dennis my MS was an older model keybed...than your model..Are you sure they are not the same? Also is the PA1x different than the PA2x?...I am judging the PA1x keybed to my MS..

#319384 - 03/15/11 03:54 PM Re: Weighted vs Semi-Weighted Keyboards [Re: Joesax]
miden Offline

The PA1x is a totally different keybed again. There were rumours that the PA1 used the TP8, but I could never get a firm word from Korg Italy.

Korg introduced the new one with the PA2 series.

The action of the PA1x is, I agree, very similar to the MS76, and could not be compared to the G70, with the G70 being streets ahead.

afaik Fran, we actually had the same model MS keyboard ...I just had later motherboard, sound and graphics cards smile

Dennis

#319387 - 03/15/11 04:28 PM Re: Weighted vs Semi-Weighted Keyboards [Re: ianmcnll]
miden Offline

Originally Posted By: ianmcnll

There was some controversy over this at the Motif forums.

laugh sure was!!

Dennis

#319411 - 03/15/11 09:16 PM Re: Weighted vs Semi-Weighted Keyboards [Re: Joesax]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
What?! Another forum with controversy?

Say it ain't so.

Look Dennis, you can't keep moving the bar. First it was 'have you EVER played a PA2X?'

Quote:
Strange though, because I thought I had always read comments from you that there were never any PA series (76 note versions) down your way for you to do a "hands-on" demo being of course the reasons why you said you would never look at buying one??? I am just a bit confused here about how you can make the comparisons, but maybe I have misunderstood all your posts on this??

but when this gets answered, now it's 'You can't have possibly played it enough to make a comparison." Essentially, you are saying that my opinion (and this is all it is) has no value. No doubt you have something in reserve for if I've played it a bit more?

One thing I DO know... I've replaced keys in both G70 (actually G800, but same action) and Triton (supposedly the same action as PA2X) and the Triton keys are lighter. It the SPRING that gives them the resistance. Look, it's a subjective thing. I've played both. I own both Korg and Roland (and Yamaha and Kurzweil) actions. Please don't get upset. I haven't cast into doubt YOUR right to make a choice. I simply responded to you casting doubt on MINE... I have played all the main actions currently available.

Just let me know for how LONG we are supposed to have played them before we can come here with an opinion, OK? rolleyes

#319415 - 03/15/11 10:15 PM Re: Weighted vs Semi-Weighted Keyboards [Re: Joesax]
miden Offline

Me upset, nah I never get upset, I just post what I think.

Unfortunately you took it the wrong way, and after I re-read it just now, it was written the wrong way too.

I am not saying you have not played it enough. I am saying that we DO forget exactly how close these things are with the passage of time. I know I do.

Triton is nothing like the PA2x keys..they are narrower and a bit shorter. And the action is different. The Triton keybed has a very similar structure to the M50, well the cheaper Tritons anyway. A plastic hinge at the rear and a quite light (imo) spring.

I did have a pic of it somewhere, when I was thinking about getting an M50 to run Karma on it.

I too have replaced keys in keyboards, and refurbished a few as well, did a Pa1x just last year, so you are not Robinson Crusoe there.

And I did not essentially say anything. It was posed as a question in the first place, and you taking it as a accusation that your opinion is value-less, is a problem all of your own making.

But to re-iterate, it was written a bit harshly, and that was not the intent.

I was highlighting that I had them side by side at the same time, not months or years apart. That's it.

If it wasn't for the stupid 144 only UPG selection by Roland, I would probably still have it, and not the PA2..

Dennis

#319453 - 03/16/11 11:10 AM Re: Weighted vs Semi-Weighted Keyboards [Re: Joesax]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
No problem, Dennis...

Just like you, I can't divine INTENT. All I have to go on is what's printed. Sorry we got hooked up wrong. But the question was ASKED, implying that you at least considered the possibility I might comment without knowledge. But, as you said, not what you intended. OK, then.

BTW, I have an original Triton, with the Yamaha FS keybed that was used in many products from the DX7 onwards. Not one of the cheaper models like the LE's (yep, they are spongy and nasty!). In the case of the PA2X, no, they weren't side by side. But I played the PA2 in a store in the afternoon, then my G70 on a gig that evening. Close enough, IMO. wink Certainly NOT months or years apart. I would put that in as a caveat if it were the case.

Dennis, I try to be VERY objective with my subjective opinions! I realize just how many factors can change one's opinion about just about anything. We may not always agree on those subjective opinions, but I can assure you, I don't fail to take as many factors into account as I can.

Cool..? headphone

#319458 - 03/16/11 11:52 AM Re: Weighted vs Semi-Weighted Keyboards [Re: Diki]
miden Offline

Originally Posted By: Diki
No problem, Dennis...

Just like you, I can't divine INTENT. All I have to go on is what's printed. Sorry we got hooked up wrong. But the question was ASKED, implying that you at least considered the possibility I might comment without knowledge. But, as you said, not what you intended. OK, then.

BTW, I have an original Triton, with the Yamaha FS keybed that was used in many products from the DX7 onwards. Not one of the cheaper models like the LE's (yep, they are spongy and nasty!). In the case of the PA2X, no, they weren't side by side. But I played the PA2 in a store in the afternoon, then my G70 on a gig that evening. Close enough, IMO. wink Certainly NOT months or years apart. I would put that in as a caveat if it were the case.

Dennis, I try to be VERY objective with my subjective opinions! I realize just how many factors can change one's opinion about just about anything. We may not always agree on those subjective opinions, but I can assure you, I don't fail to take as many factors into account as I can.

Cool..? headphone

Yeah m8, no problems at all...there was no malicious intent so sorry about that smile It should have been written totally different...
I got the appropriate and deserved initial response.

Anyhoo, ditto to your last sentence...I, like you, would be the first to point out my instruments failings just as quickly and ruthlessly as highlighting its good features smile but always with objectivity as the key link.

Dennis

#319472 - 03/16/11 02:56 PM Re: Weighted vs Semi-Weighted Keyboards [Re: miden]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
And I think we have talked enough about keybeds today wink keys

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online