SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#319355 - 03/15/11 02:30 PM Re: Weighted vs Semi-Weighted Keyboards [Re: Tonewheeldude]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Originally Posted By: Tonewheeldude

IAlmost all manufacturers use third party keyframes. It makes me laugh when people tell me they prefer the feel of one particular keyboard over another..when I know they both use identical keyboards made by Fatar in Italy.

Good post TWD...I believe Yamaha is one of the few manufacturers making their own keyboards.

Korg, as far as I know, used to use Yamaha actions, but have recently changed over to Fatar.

Roland, apparently, has done the same (changed to Fatar) with much of their new line...not sure when it started, or with what models.

Early Fatar weren't my favorite actions, but they have really made them much, much better...I believe, now, I'm not totally sure where I heard this, but some of the very early Roland E-series (made in Italy) were using either Fatar or SIEL keybeds...Roland took over the SIEL (remember their synthesizers?) plant in Italy to use in making E-series arrangers in the late 80's.

I believe the Roland KR-series is/was made in Japan, so may have used different keybeds...probably Roland.

It's probably less expensive for companies, especially the smaller ones, to buy keybeds from third-party suppliers/manufacturers.

Ian

PS...I love the feel of the Hammond B-3's keys...I play one fairly often, and owned one for quite sometime...also had an M-3 as well.

#319356 - 03/15/11 02:35 PM Re: Weighted vs Semi-Weighted Keyboards [Re: Joesax]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
BTW, I think the FSX is supposed to be IDENTICAL in T4 and MoXF/S. The difference is going to be how differently the SA voices are PROGRAMMED from Tyros to Motif. And, once again, exposes how differences in SOUND tend to influence how people feel about FEEL...

They really are two different things, but can easily be confused by the unwary.

#319357 - 03/15/11 02:38 PM Re: Weighted vs Semi-Weighted Keyboards [Re: Diki]
ianmcnll Offline

Originally Posted By: Diki

To Ian, I'm afraid that, if you tend to confuse action, and sound and sound response, best thing is to try the action into another keyboard. My rig at home is set up so any keyboard can trigger any OTHER keyboard. That way, I can pick and choose what I want to play on, and 'feel' isn't influenced by sound.

Actually, I thought it was you who was being confused, hence my explanation.

I use MIDI quite a bit with the Tyros series and PSR, so I'm very comfortable with both terms regarding action feel vs action response.

Ian

#319360 - 03/15/11 02:44 PM Re: Weighted vs Semi-Weighted Keyboards [Re: Joesax]
Diki Offline

So why the confusion with the FSX action and the T3's less than 'sweet' sound?

There are innumerable posts by you espousing the PSR action over the Tyros one while you had the S910. Total about face now. One would have thought, if what you say is true, you would have realized this... wink

#319362 - 03/15/11 02:46 PM Re: Weighted vs Semi-Weighted Keyboards [Re: Diki]
ianmcnll Offline

BTW, I think the FSX is supposed to be IDENTICAL in T4 and MoXF/S. The difference is going to be how differently the SA voices are PROGRAMMED from Tyros to Motif. And, once again, exposes how differences in SOUND tend to influence how people feel about FEEL...

They really are two different things, but can easily be confused by the unwary.

Keybeds are virtually identical...response to SA/SA2 voices is different, and some prefer the way it is set up on the Tyros2/3/4 to the Motif.

Yes, "response" (much different than "feel") can be altered on the Motif, but, the Tyros2/3/4 get it right, right out of the box....in my opinion.

There was some controversy over this at the Motif forums.

Tyros4 does it better than Tyros2 or T3 (in my opinion)...I'm very glad I waited for the former.

Ian

#319364 - 03/15/11 02:54 PM Re: Weighted vs Semi-Weighted Keyboards [Re: Joesax]
Diki Offline

Yes, I find it surprising (and sad) that Yamaha can't get consistency between the SA and Mega-voice voices between the arranger lines and Motif. This goes back to the very first Mega voices and SA voices. For some insane reason, Yamaha's left hand ignores what the right is doing (or copies it badly).

#319367 - 03/15/11 02:56 PM Re: Weighted vs Semi-Weighted Keyboards [Re: Diki]
ianmcnll Offline

So why the confusion with the FSX action and the T3's less than 'sweet' sound?

There are innumerable posts by you espousing the PSR action over the Tyros one while you had the S910. Total about face now. One would have thought, if what you say is true, you would have realized this... wink

What are you confused about now, Diki?

I loved the PSR-S910 action...still do...the SA voices responded very well indeed...it had an overall sweeter sound than the Tyros3, but, for me the combination of the Tyros4's sweeter sound, and the way the voices respond (response...get it) to the FSX action (in the T4) is perfect, in my opinion.

I hope this helps clear things up for you...it's the best I can do.

Ian

PS...Hopefully you'll have a Tyros3 to compare the T4 with...I was lucky, and had them both here...still, in any case, the difference would have been quite obvious to me.

#319369 - 03/15/11 03:04 PM Re: Weighted vs Semi-Weighted Keyboards [Re: Diki]
ianmcnll Offline

Yes, I find it surprising (and sad) that Yamaha can't get consistency between the SA and Mega-voice voices between the arranger lines and Motif. This goes back to the very first Mega voices and SA voices. For some insane reason, Yamaha's left hand ignores what the right is doing (or copies it badly).

What is not surprising, is how well both divisions are doing with their respective products.

Obviously, it's working regardless of any inconsistencies, real or imagined.

Some companies have had to stop making arrangers because of internal inconsistencies...

Ian

#319374 - 03/15/11 03:35 PM Re: Weighted vs Semi-Weighted Keyboards [Re: Diki]
miden Offline

Loc: The World
m8, I NEVER make stuff up to sound good, not like others wink

I have no need to nor desire to..I am very comfortable in my skin, and have no inner compunction to prove myself to others, nor seek validation. Again, not like others I could mention wink

Fact is I still had the G70 (my second one btw) when the PA2x (also my second one) arrived so I had them set up side by side on two stands.

PA2x is definitely heavier touch. The Roland felt nicer to play though, especially with the slightly curved keys.

I am not actually relying on some long distant memory of a brief tinkle here and there wink

Dennis

#319378 - 03/15/11 03:42 PM Re: Weighted vs Semi-Weighted Keyboards [Re: miden]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Dennis, likewise, I have the MediaStation and the G70 side by side...the action on the MS Fatar keybed is great, but the ease of playing the slightly curved keys on the G70..gives the playability edge to the G70..

BTW: I believe the keybed on my MS is the same keybed used on the Korg PA2x..

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online