SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#319348 - 03/15/11 01:38 PM Re: Best combo amp for arranger keyboard [Re: Mockie]
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Yes, I concur with William, I have used many bits of Behringer kit ever since they first came on the market, had one issue with a power capacitor on one of the older model keyboard amps.

It was fixed for free within 10 days!!

Other than that, nothing. All good.

What I have noticed since Behringer was released, is a non-stop concerted "bashing" campaign, by those with vested interests in other stock lines and manufacturers. And this continues even to this day.

Just because so-called experts, or someone "in the biz" says so does not necessarily make it so. One must always consider "WHO" is paying their wages, even if not a declared source.

When you consider the millions of items Behringer sell around the world, I would suggest that their failure rate is not that much higher than some of the more "industry accepted" brands.

I have had much more trouble with Alesis and M-Audio gear than Behringer.

Dennis

#319402 - 03/15/11 06:57 PM Re: Best combo amp for arranger keyboard [Re: Mockie]
Duane O Offline

Loc: Ridgecrest, California, USA
I wish that I still had the Polytone 102 that I used for almost 20 years. Great fidelity with twin 12"s. Never should have sold it. That said, on solo gigs, I use a Behringer KX1200 keyboard amp with a 15", an 8", and a horn. No problems during the 4 years I've had it. No hum, hiss, or odd sounds. On duo gigs with my wife on guitar, we run everything through a Behringer 1622 mixer into a Crown head and 4 Behringer cabinets (2-e1220 and 2-B212). Behringer is getting the same bad rap that Peavey got when his amps started popping up in the late 1960's. Fender and Gibson dealers all said they were trash. And from my experience, any brand of electronic equipment can have unexpected problems. That's why it's good to purchase new with a warranty.

#319404 - 03/15/11 07:23 PM Re: Best combo amp for arranger keyboard [Re: Mockie]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
I also prefer my old sound system...I use my 25 plus year old Roland Cube 100's ..3 way with 15"..I would not swap them for anything else on the market...I have 4 units currently, including a pair of mint condition amps...on standby..if my other well maintained ..well used 100's ever go down...still work as they did when I bought them new in 1985..

I use the Edirol digital mixer with room control with the Cubes and get unsurpassed results..Big sound from my underated BIG guns.. smile

#319405 - 03/15/11 07:38 PM Re: Best combo amp for arranger keyboard [Re: Mockie]
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Roland Cubes, amongst the best ever small amps made..

Dennis

#319407 - 03/15/11 08:54 PM Re: Best combo amp for arranger keyboard [Re: Mockie]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Primarily, the main problem with Behringer's also affects much Mackie and similar budget gear... They use a LOT of surface mounted components, especially knobs, switches and sliders, so when something goes bad, it's often the entire board that needs replacing rather than the ONE thing that went wrong. The other problem with surface mounted componentry is that impacts to knobs and sliders get transmitted DIRECTLY to often the main board... Not good!

But it's a LOT cheaper to make, so swings and roundabouts, I suppose...

#319424 - 03/16/11 01:59 AM Re: Best combo amp for arranger keyboard [Re: ]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Originally Posted By: WDMcM
Originally Posted By: Diki
If you are using it for bass, it pretty much HAS to have a 15"...

True. Which is why I still hang on to the Motion Sound powered sub. For small gigs including a bass player, all I need is the K1800FX. But on occasions were I am responsible for holding down the bass I can bring the sub and use the K1800FX's sub output.

I'm tellin'ya guys, Behringer stuff is just fine. I really think that most of those people who talk bad about the brand are just repeating what they heard and have no first hand experience. That is not to say that no one has ever had a problem with a piece of Behringer equipment. But no brand exists that can tout a 0% failure rate.

Thanks for the first hand info Dave. Coming from you I would certainly consider Behringer amps now.

#319426 - 03/16/11 02:16 AM Re: Best combo amp for arranger keyboard [Re: Mockie]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada

#319427 - 03/16/11 02:35 AM Re: Best combo amp for arranger keyboard [Re: ianmcnll]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Originally Posted By: ianmcnll

LMFAO rotfl

#319430 - 03/16/11 06:29 AM Re: Best combo amp for arranger keyboard [Re: Diki]
WDMcM
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: Diki
Primarily, the main problem with Behringer's also affects much Mackie and similar budget gear... They use a LOT of surface mounted components, especially knobs, switches and sliders, so when something goes bad, it's often the entire board that needs replacing rather than the ONE thing that went wrong. The other problem with surface mounted componentry is that impacts to knobs and sliders get transmitted DIRECTLY to often the main board... Not good!

But it's a LOT cheaper to make, so swings and roundabouts, I suppose...

Quick story-
One night after a gig, while rolling my Leslie back into my house with my Behringer K1800FX sitting on top, one of the wheels on the Leslie caught a throw rug and started to tip. I grabbed the handle of the Leslie and pulled it back up but the keyboard amp fell off and landed on the floor. On its way down, it flipped over and two of the knobs got sheered off from hitting a keyboard case. Turns out the potentiometers are mounted to the faceplate with washers and nuts. So they work just as good as they did before the drop except that I have to use the tip of my finger to turn them instead of grabbing a knob. And one of the pots that got damaged is a combination rotary and momentary switch type. I was throughly impressed with the K1800FX's rugged design.

Edited by WDMcM (03/16/11 06:30 AM)
Edit Reason: spelling

#319446 - 03/16/11 10:35 AM Re: Best combo amp for arranger keyboard [Re: Mockie]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Good story, Dave. Mind you, there's as much Behringer gear with controls and the like directly soldered to the motherboard as isn't.

This particular amp (and many others) yes, physically, the knobs HAVE to be away from the mainboard. But a lot of B's effects units, rack processors and small gear of all kinds uses surface mounted controls.

Box of chocolates indeed...!

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online