SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#318822 - 03/09/11 05:49 PM Re: if you could have 3 wishes for yamaha psr s920 [Re: Diki]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Originally Posted By: Diki
It's not due until October, right? They going to sit on their asses until then?

I don't know what their plans are, Diki....I can only speak for me, and I'll be busy doing clinics and seminars.

I suppose they are now working on the Tyros5...I don't know much about the new PSR-"S" series, other than what I've said already, and that is mainly a bunch of guesses.

Ian

Ian

#318825 - 03/09/11 06:43 PM Re: if you could have 3 wishes for yamaha psr s920 [Re: lahawk]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Originally Posted By: lahawk
I'm curious about the chord sequencer that many desire.

How you would use it, other than to fine tune chords in a recording?

It's a REALTIME process, nothing like a 'Chord Track' that some other arrangers have/had.

Basically, play the intro, hit the CS Record button, and play the head. Then hit the CS Play button, and ONLY the NTA ( the notes to arranger) get sent to the arranger (or fills and Vars if you want, but it's better if you don't, IMO) and the arranger plays those chords around and around for you, until you hit CS Stop, which doesn't stop the arranger, just the chord input, and you go back to playing. Maybe a bridge, or a vamp, or whatever, then hit CS Play again, and you are back in the head, or hit CS Record again, and do another section to repeat.

As the chords get played, you are free to do anything the arranger can do. Change Vars, play fills. Do Break/Fills, change styles, even.

In the meantime, while it is playing, BOTH your hands are free to do whatever you want.

It's a game changer, live...

And yes, you COULD save the Chord Sequence, and recall it later, but unless someone follows my advice and adds some more features, it wasn't that great, because you couldn't edit it. Make a flub, and you have to record the entire head again. Chord Tracks are a better tool for offline composing, unless your chops are up there. Mind you, nothing to stop you recording the CS at a much slowed down tempo, and getting it spot on, then speeding up later...

#318831 - 03/09/11 08:05 PM Re: if you could have 3 wishes for yamaha psr s920 [Re: rolandfan]
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
Wow Thanks

76 key PSR with a chord sequencer co-designed by Dikki sounds very interesting, especially if they add your edit feature.

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#318834 - 03/09/11 08:19 PM Re: if you could have 3 wishes for yamaha psr s920 [Re: rolandfan]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
For me, the whole 76 and a CS thing falls very naturally into how many pianist/singers accompany themselves. Put the arranger into Pianostyle Mode, with Bass Inv (ON Bass) on, play a little intro, then hit the CS. You now accompany yourself singing the first verse and chorus (or head, whatever), and the Pianostyle tracks your comping AND whatever inversions and slash chords you want. So, you now have your backing.

Now, you hit the CS Play, change setups to maybe more a pad/lead sound and solo your little brain out, go back to the Pianostyle setup, do a bridge in realtime, then hit CS Play again, and now go to a setup with maybe some horns in. Sing another verse, play the horns around it. Still no need to tie up anything playing the chords, so those horn voicings can be MUCH wider and accurate.

And so on, and so forth...

It's basically like being in arranger mode, then going seamlessly to an SMF, then seamlessly back to arranger, and back again, except the SMF's don't need setting up in advance, and you can vary them on the fly, depending on your mood or the audiences.

Revolutionary hardly begins to describe it..!

#318835 - 03/09/11 08:20 PM Re: if you could have 3 wishes for yamaha psr s920 [Re: rolandfan]
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
Donny,
Well, I really need to wait to play the PA3X before deciding...otherwise...well, I might be wishing I had.
Oh...one other large item, my PA2XPRO is not sold yet (some bites)

Edited by leeboy (03/09/11 08:21 PM)

#318837 - 03/09/11 08:30 PM Re: if you could have 3 wishes for yamaha psr s920 [Re: leeboy]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: leeboy
Donny,
Well, I really need to wait to play the PA3X before deciding...otherwise...well, I might be wishing I had.
Oh...one other large item, my PA2XPRO is not sold yet (some bites)

Do you have the Pa2x up for sale yet? Hopefully you won't take a beating on a late sale when the Pa3x is released.

#318850 - 03/09/11 10:22 PM Re: if you could have 3 wishes for yamaha psr s920 [Re: rolandfan]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Larry, you use it in live play. You hit Record, then you play, for example, two verses and a chorus, hit Stop. Then any time you need that sequence it is there. You can immediately hit Start and then use both hands to play along with it. It loops until you stop it.
It was a great feature on G800, G1000.
DonM

#318865 - 03/10/11 08:19 AM Re: if you could have 3 wishes for yamaha psr s920 [Re: rolandfan]
rolandfan Offline

Loc: South Africa
T4 drums, chord sequencer,
Usb in front, upper 3, fsx
Keyboard, VH2, assignable
Switches, T4 sliders,...
That's what they want in
Your next s series Yamaha

#318868 - 03/10/11 08:31 AM Re: if you could have 3 wishes for yamaha psr s920 [Re: rolandfan]
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Originally Posted By: rolandfan
Besides sounds and styles What would they be?
I would choose
1. Live drums
2. Vocal harmony 2
3. Upper 3

I'd really like to see more on/off control for the harmonizer. I think I could make a go of the harmonizer if I could more easily switch from harmony to no harmony in the keyboard. It would also be nice to have two or three preset buttons there.

An upper 3 would be helpful as would a lower two.

#318871 - 03/10/11 09:05 AM Re: if you could have 3 wishes for yamaha psr s920 [Re: rolandfan]
Dnj Offline

the more you wish for the MORE it will cost.

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online