SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#318685 - 03/08/11 03:30 PM OT: Newly Released 9/11 Video Footage !
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Warning: Difficult to Watch!

A newly released 17 minute video shows the Sept 11 World Trade Center attack from the vantage point of a NYPD helicopter.
We must never forget that day of infamy, and keep our vigilance to make sure it never happens again.

Question: Where were 'you' when the world stopped turning That September day?

#318690 - 03/08/11 05:34 PM Re: OT: Newly Released 9/11 Video Footage ! [Re: Scottyee]
Scott Langholff Online   content

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
Jen and I were getting up for work. As usual I was up and she was sleeping throught the radio alarm. I was only half listening, but heard something about a plane striking the World Trade Center.

After awhile as she got up and I was listening I realized it was not like when in the past a small plane had struck the Empire State building or something, so, we turned on the TV and in a few minutes saw live the second plane. We were of course floored.

We then went to the mall where we both worked in the home organ business. I soon saw guys circling the mall on bikes wearing crash helmuts. I thought it was already a special force out to keep an eye on things in case more things were in store as in locally. The others said no that couldn't be. Well, it did turn out to be that, and it wasn't long that the mall, in Penscola, FL mind you, was closed due to concern over people in public places and something else turning up with terrorist's.

What a day. You know bad enough as it was I understand that the Statue Of Liberty was also on the hit list. Am I glad that wasn't touched.

It was interesting reliving that experience. I really hadn't thought about it that much for awhile.

Scott

#318696 - 03/08/11 09:05 PM Re: OT: Newly Released 9/11 Video Footage ! [Re: Scottyee]
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Scott_L, thanks for sharing your 9/11 story.

I remember staying up late the night before 9/11 involved in a work project which ended up keeping me up until past 4am (Pacific Time) the morning of 9/11.
Before finally heading to bed I remember how tired I was and thinking I could sleep in extra long that morning to make up for the lack of sleep.
Lo and behold I received a telephone call from my Mom at around 6am (PDT) telling me that she just heard a small plane had hit the WTC.
In my grogginess I told her that's too bad but why wake me up just to tell me that. I put down the phone and fell back asleep.
15 minutes she called me back trying to convince me of the urgency of the situation so I crawled out of bed and turned on the TV.
I spent the rest of day following the horrific events as they unfolded live on TV, and also recall how our Synthzone membership pulled together in support of each other.
I've now re-discovered these Sept 2001 Synthzone threads. Interesting reading, especially now, after nearly 9 and 1/2 years.

Sept 11, 2001: Is Everybody OK?

Sept 15, 2001: America's Songs of Inspiration & Patriotism

#318701 - 03/08/11 10:23 PM Re: OT: Newly Released 9/11 Video Footage ! [Re: Scottyee]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
My pal Dean Mathis and I were on the way to a small town to set up a show at a nursing home. We were listening on the radio. We got about half way and decided to go back home.
As we drove into Bossier City, LA on I20, we looked up and saw Air Force One right over us, flying very low. It banked one time and landed at Barksdale AFB.
I dropped Dean off at his car, then went to HankB's house, which is about a half mile from the North Gate of the base. They had the base totally shut down and secured, with armed guards, vehicles and dogs. They already had fighter planes circling the entire area, probably for hundreds of miles.
We knew that the President was there, but it was hours later that the rest of the world knew.
I must admit I didn't stay at Hank's very long. At that time nobody knew the extent of the attacks and whether Barksdale might also be a target.
I will never forget!
DonM

#318717 - 03/09/11 04:23 AM Re: OT: Newly Released 9/11 Video Footage ! [Re: Scottyee]
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
I was there; I lived it first hand. I choose not to relive it; it is still too painful and I have nothing more to comment about it.

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#318721 - 03/09/11 05:08 AM Re: OT: Newly Released 9/11 Video Footage ! [Re: Scottyee]
Dnj Offline

Edited by Dnj (03/09/11 05:11 AM)

#318726 - 03/09/11 06:25 AM Re: OT: Newly Released 9/11 Video Footage ! [Re: Scottyee]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
One word "chilling" !!

Al I have family in metro NYC, I understand where you are coming from.

As a teen I can remember the construction of the Twin Towers, it was a sight to see. Thru the years we made quite a few visits to what was known as "Windows on the World " in the north tower on the 106 and 107th floors. It was an elegant restaurant and bar/lounge. We heard some great jazz there as well. I'll never forget the first time I took my wife to the area, I had to tell her stop looking up at the building's height, they'll know your a tourist.

When the attack occurred I received an e-mail that the a plane had crashed into one of the towers. We all that it could have been a traffic helicopter or even a small plane, but never..........did I think the unthinkable.

#318729 - 03/09/11 06:42 AM Re: OT: Newly Released 9/11 Video Footage ! [Re: Scottyee]
saxxman Offline

Loc: Niceville, FL USA
A very sad day in our history for sure. I was in a hotel in Los Angeles....San Pedro area. Woke up and turned on the TV and there it was. I was there for a meeting and we were set to return the following day. Getting home to FL was another nightmare. Ended up on Amtrak for 56 hours. Didn't have a cell phone and most of the other folks did... took 2 terrorists off our train in Waco. Made my decision that day -- "cell phone here I come".

PA4X, SX900 (Baby Genos), Roland U-20, L1 Compact, Way 2 Many Saxes

"My computer beats me routinely at chess - but it's NO MATCH for me at kick boxing!"

#318730 - 03/09/11 06:56 AM Re: OT: Newly Released 9/11 Video Footage ! [Re: Scottyee]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
We live about 20m from NYC in Rahway NJI was in school when the announcement came over the PA that a plane had hit one of the towers. and any students who had parents who worked in NYC were to report to the office. Police showed up and guarded the doors and parking lot. I helped the principal release kids to panicked parents one at a time. Being in the computer lab I could follow the events live. My wife who worked at the local hospital said they went on emergency status expecting lots of victims to be sent in. None came.
Later that day I could see the smoke from NYC. We both decided to catch the Weehawkin ferry the next day and go in to volunteer but word came that no more people were needed and to stay home. Volunteers, supplies, heavy equipment, etc. was flooding the city, most of it donated.
Shows the good in people when there is a need. I have a friend who works construction at the site and he says its still a very emotional feeling being there everyday.
We should never forget and let our guard down

Bill in NJ

#318848 - 03/09/11 09:53 PM Re: OT: Newly Released 9/11 Video Footage ! [Re: Scottyee]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
My cousin had baby that morning, and every year on her birthday I have been taking her picture wearing a tee shirt I bought her. It helps me make some sense of it all, and we celebrate life, while we remember the alternative. It's so cute the way she's growing up to fill out this tee shirt that was like a blanket when she was born. Now, it's a dress .. someday at 18, it'll be tied up as a midriff drive the boys crazy look. She's my little miracle baby.
Isn't there an easy "attach" button on this site? I wanted to show you a picture, but can't find out how.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online