SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#318771 - 03/09/11 01:13 PM Re: Tyros 3 Piano Critique [Re: Joesax]
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
Gary,
Does Eileen sell any tutorials/CD's to help others do what she has learned??

#318777 - 03/09/11 01:40 PM Re: Tyros 3 Piano Critique [Re: Scottyee]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: Scottyee
Originally Posted By: Dnj
Scott can you post some short examples of the Steinway you have vs Tyros 4 Pianos.....just to hear the differences and how close Yamaha has created their Piano samples?
No, and It wouldn't make a difference if I did either, because sound stage and room ambience dramatically alter one's perception of the character of a given sound. There,s really no way to compare the experience of the live sound emunating from the soundboard of an acousric grand piano into a room with even the best recorded sound heard from 2 speakers. As much as I'm satisfied with the Tyros 4's SA Concert Grand voice sample, it can't compare with a real Steinway or even the recording of one. Go to Steinway Hall in NYC or a piano store and play a Yamaha acoustic grand next to a Steinway acoustic Grand and you'll easily hear the difference in the distinct character of each brand. Yamaha doesn't include a Steinway sample in T4 afterall. That said, rumor has it that a Tyros 4 UVN "3rd party sample" offering of a Steinway Grand may be in the works. If and when that becomes available, that may offer a better "apples to apples" piano sample comparison.

OK, no problem I think you answered my question very well. And yes I used to work in NYC for many years and have been to the Steinway store on 57th St. & Steinway Hall to hear the different model pianos....a mind blowing experience and would recomend it to everyone at least once in their lifetime to experience.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steinway_Hall

http://www.steinwayshowrooms.com/steinway-hall

#318779 - 03/09/11 01:49 PM Re: Tyros 3 Piano Critique [Re: leeboy]
Joesax Offline

Loc: Southern New Jersey
Lee:

If you go to www.yamahapkowner.com

you will find some DVD's Eileen sells. I'm n not sure if they address the voice tuning but they do address Tyros operation and use.
Tyros 3, Motif XF6, Quad Amp/Pre-Amp/DAC, Quad Monitors, Tascam Digital Recorder

#318783 - 03/09/11 02:10 PM Re: Tyros 3 Piano Critique [Re: Joesax]
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
As Joe said, I'm not sure if she addresses that aspect in detail. You would have to contact her to find out.

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#318802 - 03/09/11 03:29 PM Re: Tyros 3 Piano Critique [Re: Joesax]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Thing is, even compared to YAMAHA acoustic pianos, Yamaha arranger pianos lose something, Scott. Sure, it's not as big as from Yamaha to Steinway, but that all important center area where you do most of your comping, that's the area I find the most difference.

Plus, I play the CIIIF in a dead studio, so I'm not having the room really affect things too much. From G an octave and a half below middle C to the G an octave and a half above, that's a CRITICAL 3 octave area for comping, and IMO generally the weakest area in ANY piano sample set. Trust me, I'm not on a Yamaha bashfest. Even most Roland pianos, Korg pianos, you name it (even a bunch of VSTi pianos) have problems here.

BTW, how many vel-splits do all these Yamaha arranger sets have? That, IMO, makes the biggest difference, as you aren't trying to emulate timbral changes with programming, you get it in the raw sample. I can't WAIT to try that KRONOS 12-layer one!

I really hope the Kronos's SSHD sample streaming becomes the industry standard. That's going to revolutionize piano sounds...

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online