SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#318362 - 03/05/11 01:33 AM Re: Labelling SD Cards [Re: Tony Deaf]
RMepstead Offline

Loc: Wootton Bassett - Wiltshire - ...
Hey that is great news Audrey about Sandisk SD Cards with a blank space designed for adding your own information - I'll look out for those. So far I've been marking my SD Cards with a Snowpake marker...

#318396 - 03/05/11 09:23 AM Re: Labelling SD Cards [Re: Tony Deaf]
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
I just repurchased a KN2600 and enjoying the contents o my many sd cards from the KN7000 and KN 2600.
However....... I have put one in that is 2 gig and it won't recognize it. I put it in the computer and it shows 10 folders but nothing in them the computer can recognize. Is this card to big a capacity for this keyboard or what.
Thanks,
Bebop

#318425 - 03/05/11 05:03 PM Re: Labelling SD Cards [Re: BEBOP]
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
Hi Bill,

The KN7000 can use 2GB SD Cards so I expect that the KN2600 can also do so. However, some things to be aware of :

1. Although the KN7000 can use 2GB cards, It will only 'see' them as a 1GB card, due to an addressing limitation within the operating system.
2. There have been reports of some 1GB and 2GB cards not being recognised by the KN7000. In my experience, these tend to be cards of dubious source and I have had no problems with cards from reputable manufacturers such as Sandisk, Toshiba, Fuji, Transcend.

A further point, when you look at the 2GB card on your PC, as well as the folders, do you see files called 'KN7000mn.INF' and 'KN7000mn.bak' ?
These files are normally required within the structure to allow correct reading of the card content.
The folder structure on the cards should conform to the following : Root Folder 'PRIVATE' : Sub Folder 'TECHNICS' : Sub Folder 'KN7000' which holds the Song Files 'TFLDxxx' and the KN7000mn.xxx files.

#318480 - 03/06/11 11:35 AM Re: Labelling SD Cards [Re: Bill Norrie]
BEBOP Offline

HI YA Willum,
The 2 GB card is for my Zoom H2.
Another one I am looking at is an INX made in japan. It is 512 MB.
It has a folder 4ch, then folders 01 through 10 and a folder sys that includes a sub folder MACPRM.ZIF, that I am unable to open.
IT is dated 2008 and has apparantly never been used. It was kept with my KN7000/KN2600 stuff after I sold the boards. I tried to format it in the KN2600 but it would not recognize the card.
What say you? and Thanks for your response.
Bebop

Edited by BEBOP (03/06/11 11:40 AM)

#318493 - 03/06/11 02:07 PM Re: Labelling SD Cards [Re: BEBOP]
peter b Offline

Loc: nottinghamshire, UK
Hi Bill
This gets a bit confusing.
I have a 2 gb Sandisk which has 81 folders in it and it shows as 1,690,016kb free/0% used and I also have a 128mb with 18 folders on it which shows 98.888kb free/ 21% used.
I have not even looked at this before as I think if they work then it's perfectly ok, thats what matters.
I assume, if, as you say the KN7000 only recognises up to 1gb,
that may explain that strange reading on the 2gb card.

Regards
Peter B

#318503 - 03/06/11 03:38 PM Re: Labelling SD Cards [Re: Tony Deaf]
Audrey Turner Offline

Loc: Cambridge, Cambs, England
Is the card locked or broken?

I was given an SD Card with some lovely styles on it which play perfectly but when I 'tweaked' one of the styles and tried to save my new sets, I received a message saying the card is 'locked'

In actual fact, it isn't, but the little lever that would normally operate the locking/unlocking action is missing, hence I can only play what's on the card.

Just a thought.

Audrey

#318504 - 03/06/11 03:38 PM Re: Labelling SD Cards [Re: Tony Deaf]
Audrey Turner Offline

Loc: Cambridge, Cambs, England
Is the card locked or broken?

I was given an SD Card with some lovely styles on it which play perfectly but when I 'tweaked' one of the styles and tried to save my new sets, I received a message saying the card is 'locked'

In actual fact, it isn't, but the little lever that would normally operate the locking/unlocking action is missing, hence I can only play what's on the card.

Just a thought.

Audrey

#318535 - 03/07/11 05:41 AM Re: Labelling SD Cards [Re: Audrey Turner]
Bill Norrie Offline

Bill,

Judging by the content of your SD Card in question, it does not seem to contain KNxxxx compatible files.... Doing a search on the filename 'MACPRM.ZIF' does indicate that the card has been used in a 'Zoom' personal recorder which I believe uses Apple Mac file format. ??
So, I'm not surprised that your KN2600 does not read the card. I believe the KNs use the FAT16 file format system so it may be possible to recover the card for use on your KN2600, by formatting on your PC first. Make sure that you choose the FAT (Default) option in the Formatting window and the full format option - not just the Quick Format.

Peter,
There is a bug in the early Operating System of the KN7000, which resulted in incorrect reporting of the percentage of free space available on any SD Card. This was corrected by future updates of the Operating System. However, as you say, if everything else is OK, why bother applying the updates and risk possibly screwing up your instrument - it has been known in the past........ If a blank 2GB card is inserted in the KN700, it reports the full capacity of the card even though it can only address half the capacity......

Audrey,
If the little 'Lock -Unlock' slider is missing on the card, then any reading system will see that card as being locked and therefore safe from being over-written. Some software was supplied on cards, configured in this manner.

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#318556 - 03/07/11 09:10 AM Re: Labelling SD Cards [Re: Bill Norrie]
BEBOP Offline

thank you Willum for your info. I will look further into this.
I am pleased that all my KN7000 and 2600 styles, songs etc do play in this keyboard. I just discoved my computer still has the 20 for 1 zip files from years back when we were all trading songs.
I have found one sd card that won't load and it is labled customs. I don't think this kn2600 has a place for custom styles, although I have well over 100 americana custom styles I have bought from them and are on a sd card that will load in this keyboard.
Best to all here,
Bill

Edited by BEBOP (03/07/11 09:13 AM)

#318563 - 03/07/11 10:06 AM Re: Labelling SD Cards [Re: BEBOP]
Bill Norrie Offline

You're welcome Bill smile

It does seem a shame that Technics, in their wisdom, decided to exclude the CUSTOM memory function from the KN2400/2600 - I don't quite uderstand the philosophy behind that decision. I'm sure it would not have affected the price very much....

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online