SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#318365 - 03/05/11 02:11 AM Re: Shoo Bee Doo Bop Tyros 4 explained.. [Re: Dnj]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Actually I had Wave cycling on my old Wersi Alpha (1985) for the choir voices (Although the quality of sound can’t match todays voices) and Wersi continued to use it up to about 1995.
However with the introduction of the Livestyle sound system in 1989 (Which had proper sampling and 18 bit D/A) the doo bah voices etc. were added controlled by velocity, with the sound quality still standing up well today. (Although I still like the way Roland have done it best)
I have never heard the Kurzweil voices, although I still think the Kurzweil would give the new Kronos a good run for its money.

Bill

#318373 - 03/05/11 03:15 AM Re: Shoo Bee Doo Bop Tyros 4 explained.. [Re: Dnj]
Tony Hughes Offline

Originally Posted By: Dnj

very interesting concept....don't know if it would be something I would need but never the less could be useful or fun for others..

enjoy

Every house should have one, T4 that is and the DVD

Availble also in Red for the MS and Ketron Audya Heeeeeee!

Like the hell it is!
Tyros 4/Pair SR 350/ PC with a i8 intel chip, XENYX 802, Ford Focus 2 litre/Tascam DR07/Brother printer/Designjet 500/ our Doris/5 Grandchildren/ white boxers short Kymart shipped over and Typhoo Tea Earl Grey

#318376 - 03/05/11 04:15 AM Re: Shoo Bee Doo Bop Tyros 4 explained.. [Re: Dnj]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
I guess the old adage, "there is nothing new under the sun" is true.

It's like the Hammond Drawbars that nearly every other organ/keyboard maker physically and slavishly copied , including Wersi and Roland, and of course, the Mellotron and it's choir sounds, that pretty well every keyboard can do much better (or worse)...although, regarding the drawbars; I don't think Yamaha ever physically copied them. They are on the Tyros and PSR but only represented virtually.

Of course, imitation is the most sincere form of flattery.

I'm tickled with the Tyros4's SA vocal patches...I didn't think I would be, but they have proven very useful (and I really like how they are implemented), and, they can be used in styles, like the other SA and SA2 sounds...that's really cool, and a very powerful feature, not on the other Tyros, or very few other arrangers, for that matter.

Ian

#318398 - 03/05/11 10:35 AM Re: Shoo Bee Doo Bop Tyros 4 explained.. [Re: Dnj]
Diki Online   content

Loc: NW Florida
Having SA2 voices in styles is one of the under-sung features of the new T4. I am surprised more don't make a big deal about it, because for me, this represents (along with the FLASH RAM) probably the main improvements over the T3. (still a little underwhelmed by the VH)

So many are keying on those doo bops, which I still regard as more of a novelty (nice though it is) while SA2 sounds in styles is pretty revolutionary... as revolutionary as Mega-voiced styles were when they came out, IMO.

BTW, I've heard the new brush kits, did they include a new sticks kit, too? I still think Yamaha are missing an opportunity, now they have FLASH RAM, to sell a couple of REALLY punchy acoustic kits from the MoXF, optimized for direct replacement of Tyros kits, to be loaded into permanent RAM. Curiously, everyone seems VERY happy with the new, punchier brush kit, despite saying for years that there was nothing wrong with the Tyros drums in the first place. Perhaps, if a punchier sticks kit came out, they would find out they liked that, TOO? wink

#318412 - 03/05/11 12:30 PM Re: Shoo Bee Doo Bop Tyros 4 explained.. [Re: Dnj]
ianmcnll Offline

There is a new "Acoustic Kit" along with the Real Drums and Real Brushes...I always liked the Yamaha drums, but, again, my style of music didn't require really punchy drums...just great sounding ones, which I felt were already there.

The longer vocal phrases are a little less useful for me...ShooBeeDooBah's 1&2 for example, but the rest work really cool in styles...SA Scatman Legato is a favorite just to play RH for me...plus the Vocal Phrases like Latin Vocals, Pop Ensemble, Doos, Aaaahs etc. can be used in the Multi-Pads as well as the styles.

This rig is a lot more powerful than I realized.

Ian

#318420 - 03/05/11 01:52 PM Re: Shoo Bee Doo Bop Tyros 4 explained.. [Re: Dnj]
Diki Online   content

Loc: NW Florida
Any demos out of the new stick kits?

BTW, just found a T4 in a store 60 miles away. Going over hopefully quite soon to try it out. It's the same store I got my G70 from, so they will let me play it for hours!

I think that the new brush kit IS a lot punchier... strange that everyone that keeps saying they don't want/need/like punchier drums seems to like them when they get them... wink

#318421 - 03/05/11 02:26 PM Re: Shoo Bee Doo Bop Tyros 4 explained.. [Re: Diki]
ianmcnll Offline

Originally Posted By: Diki

BTW, just found a T4 in a store 60 miles away. Going over hopefully quite soon to try it out. It's the same store I got my G70 from, so they will let me play it for hours!

I think that the new brush kit IS a lot punchier... strange that everyone that keeps saying they don't want/need/like punchier drums seems to like them when they get them... wink

Well, that is good news...now you'll be able to hear what I'm raving about...or, if I'm just raving!

It is a deep instrument that will require some quality time, so it is good you have such great access.

I like the punchier drums on the rock stuff...I programmed a nice OrganRockBallad (with Leslie speed change in style)and the "Real Drums" sound pretty impressive and very "live".

But, I don't play a lot of dance/aggressive tunes, so I was happy already with what was being used.

I think a lot of Tyros owners were in that category...the new kits are a nice treat nonetheless.

Ian

#318422 - 03/05/11 03:29 PM Re: Shoo Bee Doo Bop Tyros 4 explained.. [Re: ianmcnll]
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Diki: before you sit down to play the Tyros 4 in the store, check to make sure that OS version 1.02 is installed:
Function Button > Utility > Owner Tab > Version

If you want version 1.02 give me your email address and I'll send it to you.

I also recommend making one simple compressor adjustment:
Mixing Console Button > CMP tab > Gain Offset > set to: +4
* leave all other settings at flat (+0)

Then: Slip on a good pair of headphones and have fun playing & exploring Tyros 4. cool

#318423 - 03/05/11 04:51 PM Re: Shoo Bee Doo Bop Tyros 4 explained.. [Re: Dnj]
Dnj Offline

Awaiting your full T4 review Diki...have fun with a 61 .. !

#318426 - 03/05/11 05:09 PM Re: Shoo Bee Doo Bop Tyros 4 explained.. [Re: Diki]
Tony Hughes Offline

Originally Posted By: Diki
Any demos out of the new stick kits?

Diki,

Anyone who had a G70 for sale would let anyone who wanted to buy it play it for days just to get rid of it, bet the guy was glad when you said you would take it, it's that long ago I doubt he will remember you, it won't be the same with the T4, this time they will be lining up to play it, be interesting how much you will get for the old girl if you part exchange, I'll alert the paramedic for you!

Two of the happiest men in the World, a man who is buying and boat and the man who is selling the boat, a bit like the G70 Diki have a nice birthday and make a wish.

Edited by Tony Hughes (03/05/11 05:24 PM)
Tyros 4/Pair SR 350/ PC with a i8 intel chip, XENYX 802, Ford Focus 2 litre/Tascam DR07/Brother printer/Designjet 500/ our Doris/5 Grandchildren/ white boxers short Kymart shipped over and Typhoo Tea Earl Grey

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online