SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#318263 - 03/04/11 07:17 AM Re: Tyros 4 is it worth it [Re: kbrkr]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: kbrkr
I upgraded from the T2 to the T4 after trying the Pa2xpro and the Audya 4 after swearing I would never again buy another Yamaha because of the lack of drums and the ability to customize. I took a risk by buying the T4 after hearing all those great voices and styles; I tried to look past all the shoo-be-do-wah stuff and look at the meat and potatoes.

Boy, am I glad I did. After owning the T4 for a few months, I am blown away by it's sonic ability, sheer volume of top notch voices, and the great styles. Plus I didn't have to give up all those Yamaha styles I have been hoarding over the years. The FLASH ram has worked out really well for me as I do a lot of custom sampling and load times are ZERO when you power up this puppy. I love the more diverse and capable vocal harmonizer. It's just a great overall board and leaps and bounds way beyond the T2. Do yourself a favor and go and play one to experience the sound quality first hand. The string and Sax voices alone will knock your socks off.

I'm pretty much on the same page as Al except I never really had an interest in the Audya. I'm not using much of the vocal harmonizer but nevertheless it is much improved. Unlike years past with other arrangers at this point I can see my keeping the T4 for a very long time. In short I'm very happy with it. The s910 was a great board too, but it's just not a Tyros4.

#318265 - 03/04/11 07:42 AM Re: Tyros 4 is it worth it [Re: beachbum]
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Originally Posted By: beachbum
Getting a few coins at the end of the month... Is this upgrade worth it from a S910?
In 'one' word . . . YES ! rocker

Let me know as I think I'll just upgrade my motorcycle instead
but with with you adding 'that' line, it depends on just 'how much' it would cut into your finances, especially now in challenging economic times.
Basic living expenses: food, shelter, and transportation I would expect, must take precedence.

#318268 - 03/04/11 08:03 AM Re: Tyros 4 is it worth it [Re: Dnj]
Tony Hughes Offline

Originally Posted By: Dnj
You can't put a price on happiness I always say.
If you want something in life get it somehow and smile dancers

Life is too short to dilly dally wink

Shop till you drop Donny, your the man with the money, now how do you fancy a new RED MS, BTW whatever happen to the MS, it's all gone very hush hush!
Tyros 4/Pair SR 350/ PC with a i8 intel chip, XENYX 802, Ford Focus 2 litre/Tascam DR07/Brother printer/Designjet 500/ our Doris/5 Grandchildren/ white boxers short Kymart shipped over and Typhoo Tea Earl Grey

#318271 - 03/04/11 08:17 AM Re: Tyros 4 is it worth it [Re: beachbum]
arranger_yes_pc_no Offline

Getting a few coins at the end of the month... Is this upgrade worth it from a S910? Keep in mind I'm studio only. Not sure I want to shell out 3K - 4K if the upgrade does not blow my socks off. Let me know as I think I'll just upgrade my motorcycle instead...

Thanks for taking the time...

go ahead and throw your money away like all the other posters here who rationalize the crazy action of spending 3k for a frigging keyboard that will be worth 1 fourth of that not too long in the future, with excuses like 'you can't put a price on happiness'. These are the people that guarantee Yamaha producing a keyboard and slapping a 4k price tag on it.

And for what? for a few more sounds and a couple more features....

the psr910 is an excellent instrument, as it is my T2, you can make a lot of music with either. I do. Loads of music.

You only need a very good instrument: you never need the latest one....the s910 is a capable instrument. Put it in the hand of a musician like Peter Bartmanns and you would be very surprised.

Hell, with 3k I'd rather enroll in a music conservatory. At least then I know I can play.

#318273 - 03/04/11 08:20 AM Re: Tyros 4 is it worth it [Re: beachbum]
arranger_yes_pc_no Offline

now THAT would be money well spent, and what I call an investment.

4k for the latest keyboard with 320 mb of sounds...omg...

#318276 - 03/04/11 08:35 AM Re: Tyros 4 is it worth it [Re: arranger_yes_pc_no]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
I will never forget the story about a man who never wanted to spend, he told his wife he wanted to take the $$$ with him. What a sight seeing that check for $ 1,000,000 that she laid on his chest as they closed the casket. Last I heard his widow is on the FiJi islands somewhere enjoying her new found wealth. smile

#318285 - 03/04/11 08:59 AM Re: Tyros 4 is it worth it [Re: Stephenm52]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
I'm now in the same boat as you guys (Steve and Al) having actually spent some quality time with this instrument, and the more I play it, the more I realize what a bargain it is...absolutely the best Sax, Guitars, Strings, Organs, Clarinets,...[phew]...let's just say pretty well the most expressive sounds in any arranger, at any price...in my opinion.

Yes, the S910 is a bargain and sounds pretty darn good, but, Beach, the power of the Tyros4 is what we guys who are particular about sound are really aiming for.

The new Vocal Harmonizer is also terrific...another nice upgrade not on the other Tyros, or the S910.

But, don't take our words for it...play one, and see, and hear, for yourself what we are raving about.

Ian

#318286 - 03/04/11 09:00 AM Re: Tyros 4 is it worth it [Re: Dnj]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Originally Posted By: Dnj
only in the studio?.....keep the S910 for syles.....buy a KRONOS for sounds wink

This is pretty good advice from someone that has an S910...!

I guess a lot depends on whether you do much sequencing, and replacement of the S910's sounds already, or you tend to want it easy, and everything come out of one machine, ready to go. If the latter, then the step up to the T4 is probably a good bet.

But, in all fairness, most TOTL WS's are more capable than their 'home keyboard' siblings, with fancy groove, loop and arp capabilities, usually MUCH more capable and flexible samplers, master keyboard capabilities and DAW control possibilities (sliders for track control, transport buttons, etc.) and, on the whole, better, more punchy sounds. Especially in the case of the Kronos, you get 12GB (!) of samples, ready to go. That's more than any loaded up arranger, by a factor of at least six (and more like 15 smile )!

And, the sad thing is, even the Kronos is likely to be less expensive than the T4. A Kronos 88, at that! The 61 will definitely be less expensive!

Another WS to take a good hard look at would be the Yamaha MotifXF. Over twice as much flash RAM as the T4, and a software KARMA module is available, if you like that. Plus full audio loop and arp capabilities, and some seriously punchy sounds.

I don't know if, at the moment, you are using the S910 solely, in the studio, or whether you already use it for the initial ideas, then flesh it out with sequencing, editing and replacement, but if you do, give the Kronos or MoXF a serious look. If you want to just get 'close enough' and do it all in the arranger, then maybe the T4 is worth the money. But that's a WHOLE chunk of change to do something that your S910 already gets 80% there as is...

#318295 - 03/04/11 09:19 AM Re: Tyros 4 is it worth it [Re: beachbum]
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Beach, If you want to know what a T4 can do for your happiness and inspiration, just watch any Telmo video. How can you put a price on that?

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#318306 - 03/04/11 12:17 PM Re: Tyros 4 is it worth it [Re: kbrkr]
Tony Hughes Offline

Originally Posted By: kbrkr
Beach, If you want to know what a T4 can do for your happiness and inspiration, just watch any Telmo video. How can you put a price on that?

Spot on Al.
Tyros 4/Pair SR 350/ PC with a i8 intel chip, XENYX 802, Ford Focus 2 litre/Tascam DR07/Brother printer/Designjet 500/ our Doris/5 Grandchildren/ white boxers short Kymart shipped over and Typhoo Tea Earl Grey

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online