SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#318135 - 03/02/11 06:20 PM Re: a better PA3X demo [Re: spalding1968]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I just feel that a lot of R&D money and time was spent on this, when there are other, more pressing needs... Until Korg leverage DNC and their Guitar Mode as well as Yamaha do theirs, what's the POINT of a fancy add-on speaker system..?

#318136 - 03/02/11 06:20 PM Re: a better PA3X demo [Re: FransN]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: FransN
Speaker is an option. Don't like it don't buy it.

And a $600.00 option at that...we all have choices...it's clearly a bad design that blocks the player also IMO.

#318138 - 03/02/11 06:26 PM Re: a better PA3X demo [Re: Dnj]
FransN Offline

Loc: Netherlands
Agree. I find them also ugly. If I decide to buy the PA3x they can keep the speakers. There are other and cheaper options.

#318140 - 03/02/11 06:38 PM Re: a better PA3X demo [Re: Diki]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Originally Posted By: Diki

BTW, your 'edit' of my post in your quote tends to make a point I did NOT make. Leaving out the question "Hate the PA3X?" before the statement "You are going to hate the PA3X, no matter WHAT it adds" changes my intent a LOT...!

I DID NOT edit your post...I copied the parts as written.

Those familiar with Yamaha did notice a more than incremental change in the Tyros4 from the T3.

Those not familiar with Yamaha did not.

Simple eh?

Ian

#318141 - 03/02/11 06:43 PM Re: a better PA3X demo [Re: Scottyee]
ianmcnll Offline

Originally Posted By: Scottyee
Originally Posted By: ianmcnll
I do find it strange that no one from SZ has actually played a PA3X.
Don't forget our own Synthzone Member & Korg dealer buddy, Frank Ventresca (Frankieve) shown here playing it at Namm: cool
Synthzone member Tapas Das (who shot the below video) also got to play it (a little) as well. wink
Tapas posted his impressions on this thread.

Thanks Scott...his review seemed so incomplete, I forgot about it.

Of course, we all know that the PA3X will magically sound as expected in the near future.

Ian

#318142 - 03/02/11 06:48 PM Re: a better PA3X demo [Re: spalding1968]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Sorry, Ian, but there's quite a difference between
Quote:
If you want to listen to a GOOD PA3X demo, go listen to the PA2X official demos. You are going to hate the PA3X, no matter WHAT it adds
and
Quote:
If you want to listen to a GOOD PA3X demo, go listen to the PA2X official demos. Hate the PA2X? You are going to hate the PA3X, no matter WHAT it adds.

You neglected that phrase, and didn't even put in some '.....' to show you HAD skipped a sentence. Don't want to get into a war about it, but when you quote someone, you have to at least TRY to not put a different meaning into their words... Probably just a slip up, but I consider the two sentences QUITE different...

#318144 - 03/02/11 06:56 PM Re: a better PA3X demo [Re: spalding1968]
ianmcnll Offline

Well, Diki, it wasn't an intentional thing on my part...I just clipped out what I considered pertinent.

Ian

#318146 - 03/02/11 07:21 PM Re: a better PA3X demo [Re: spalding1968]
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
We don't all have the same needs...That speaker bar would not block anything here...it would be against the wall.
But, Since I have $1200 worth of Mackie near fields, I would not buy it anyways.

One thing that is finally clear we will not know all that much about what they did with DNC, and the sounds in general on the PA3X until we actually have a finished product and can play it outselves.

I do expect it to be outstanding...but that does not mean it will be what I want.

#318177 - 03/03/11 07:27 AM Re: a better PA3X demo [Re: leeboy]
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
This was a much much better demo than most of the other ones in my opinion. I could immediately tell the Drums are top notch and much better than the T4's, for example. The last Organ he played was wonderful and the other ones were good too. Although the demonstrator wasn't really proficient in arranger mode and because of it it kind of detracted from the overall presentation if you ask me.

I don't know what a lot of you guys are listening to this presentation on but I'm thinking a lot of you are listening to it on cheapo Laptop speakers or perhaps some rinky dink desktop speakers from Radio Shack, etc. On my system you can hear the "excellent" quality and nuance that the PA3x exhibits. The first Grand Piano did sound very "korgish" but it was overall pretty good. Better than the T4's hands down in my opinion. The AC Grand he played toward the end was even better and had more of a "concert grand" sound to it and it was excellent in my opinion. The Guitars were "stunning" even though in arranger mode the guy was prone to glitches and was cause for distraction for his audience. I also thought the Sax(s) were very good as was the Harmonica as was the Clarinet as was the EP's as was - everything else he played in my humble opinion.

I did notice when he had his fingers pressed on the keys and then with his other hand switched to other sounds using the touchscreen LCD that there was a notorious "cut-off" of the existing (previous) sound which is cause for concern. There should have been technology integrated into the PA3x to allow "seamless" switching such as I have on my Roland Fantom G7. Maybe the PA3x has such technology but the guy didn't have it enabled?? Any Korg affiliated person on this forum is welcome to respond by the way. But if the PA3x indeed does NOT have "seamless" switching it could be a deal breaker for some. Especially at the thought of forking over $4,000 + for a PA3x. My Fantom G7 (76 key) has "seamless" switching technology for about 'half' the cost of a PA3x (76 key). How do you like them apples? wink Korg should address this issue on the PA3x too, needless to say.

Anyway, I really thought this latest demo provided a lot better 'glimpse' into the sound capability of the PA3x but hopefully Korg USA will get off their proverbial 'back side' and put up some factory produced demos online for people to listen to and/or videos to watch and then hopefully lay to rest, once and for all, these "sound" quality questions still floating around the internet - and on this forum. Although 1/2 or more of all the naysayer questions still lingering in people's minds could be because of listening to this and other PA3x demos on either cheapo Laptop or rinky dink desktop speakers perhaps?? wink Just sayin'..

PS: There are PA3x demos out there that are definitely lackluster but I think the problem mostly lies with the way they were mic'd and/or video'd and/or recorded. In other words, not the PA3x's fault per se, but rather Korg's lackluster 'effort' they put into making sure the demos were of professional (studio) quality. This latest demo seems to prove that very point in my opinion. Although, in the future Korg might want to consider a different demonstrator with "better" arranger mode playing proficiency perhaps. wink

All the best,
Mike

Edited by keybplayer (03/03/11 07:35 AM)

#318191 - 03/03/11 10:06 AM Re: a better PA3X demo [Re: spalding1968]
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
Fantom G7..??? That's not an arranger last time I looked.
If I wanted a new WS, I would get a Kurzweil PC3K88

Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online