Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#318065 - 03/02/11 09:20 AM Tyros 4 Demo: Vocal Sample Playback via MultiPad
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
With the ability to record/trigger MP3 playback via MultiPad buttons,
here's a very simple basic example demonstrating this,
along with auto accompaniment playing by Petry Gilles.
Neil Sedaka Vocal sample is triggered at :19 sec and at end of song 2:34.

The creative possibilities of this feature are limitless. smile

#318078 - 03/02/11 11:45 AM Re: Tyros 4 Demo: Vocal Sample Playback via MultiPad [Re: Scottyee]
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
You'd have to be really, really judicious in your use of this feature.

I don't know...seems like some of the features of this version that excite others, leave me thinking to myself, "I don't think I'd use that..."

Thanks for sharing, Scott...

#318083 - 03/02/11 12:06 PM Re: Tyros 4 Demo: Vocal Sample Playback via MultiPad [Re: Bill in Dayton]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Scott, that it is a cool feature and does lend to creativity, but I wouldn't have much use for it.

#318088 - 03/02/11 01:04 PM Re: Tyros 4 Demo: Vocal Sample Playback via MultiPad [Re: Scottyee]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
That is slicker than frog hair, Scott, and, in my opinion, only limited by the creativity of the user.

Of course, it depends on the kind of purpose you are using the Tyros4 for in the first place...if you're just using it like all the older arrangers you had in the past, and are singing or playing over a style or an SMF, it probably wouldn't be very useful, but for those who are creating soundscapes, video soundtracks, or just really cool and inventive recordings or performances, it will be a really useful feature.

It is definitely there for those who are able to think outside the box, and perhaps, even for those who cannot.

Here's a thought...

If you are playing in a band, and you aren't getting along (i.e. they won't rehearse), and you want to go solo, just take a night off, and send a friend to their gig, and have them record each tune the band does without your part.

Then, convert to MP3, and play back on the T4....only, now you play along.

Fire the rest of the group. Make millions!

In case someone thinks I'm serious about the above...I'm not! Then again, it might ipnsire someone...

But, it sure would be great for adding sound collages, for background sounds like traffic noises, the roar of the crowd, the sounds of nature, the thrilling sound of motor racing, the ambiance of fine restaurant (to sub for the noises in the second rate puke-place you're forced to play in)....er...scratch that last one.

Using it as done by the guy in the video is just a beginning, and I thought it he did quite well, by the way.

Anyway, as I said...only limited by the creativity of the user.

Ian

#318089 - 03/02/11 01:44 PM Re: Tyros 4 Demo: Vocal Sample Playback via MultiPad [Re: Scottyee]
saxxman Offline

Loc: Niceville, FL USA
Hey guys - looks like an interesting feature. Just curious if the multipad will be synch'd in time w/the style? So to play along w/it you'd have to have the tempo pretty locked down. I'm guessing that when you trigger the multipad it just plays out at the tempo it was recorded at. Perhaps it would offer some possibilities for triggering BIAB excerpts (if you had some BIAB bass and drum tracks)?

Randy

PA4X, SX900 (Baby Genos), Roland U-20, L1 Compact, Way 2 Many Saxes

"My computer beats me routinely at chess - but it's NO MATCH for me at kick boxing!"

#318098 - 03/02/11 03:31 PM Re: Tyros 4 Demo: Vocal Sample Playback via MultiPad [Re: saxxman]
Scottyee Offline

Originally Posted By: saxxman
curious if the multipad will be synch'd in time w/the style?
To remain locked in sync requires triggering a midi file. On the other hand, Mp3 audio files simply need to be short. Triggering vocal samples this way works best on songs with a signature vocal hook line/phrase that's between 1-2 measures to keep the timing from drifting out of sync with the arranger.

My friend Manuel Dorantes told me he utilizes multi-pad triggered 'vocal audio samples' (trimmed from MP3 pop tunes) on a few of his tunes,
and garnering a lot of positive audience response using them at his senior tea dance venues in Arizona. smile
It's entertaining & fun and adds a recognizable vocalist touch to an otherwise instrumental performance. cool

#318111 - 03/02/11 05:05 PM Re: Tyros 4 Demo: Vocal Sample Playback via MultiPad [Re: Scottyee]
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
Bill,
No you would not probably use that, because you sing, well, ...some of us do not (and should not)

#318119 - 03/02/11 05:35 PM Re: Tyros 4 Demo: Vocal Sample Playback via MultiPad [Re: Scottyee]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
You'll find that most modern songs tend to be EXACT whole values of BPM, and don't vary one iota. Part of the whole modern approach to locking everything to the grid, even when it isn't PLAYED that way by tools like Beat Detective in Pro Tools and the like. So, if your MP3 is also locked rigidly to the beat, and you are careful about trimming the start and end points to make it loop nice and tight, I don't see an issue....

Obviously, using audio, your style will HAVE to be played at only the one tempo, at least until more Ketron-like slice and dice techniques become automatic enough to be transparent for the home user, but as long as they BOTH run at the same tempo, you should hear VERY little drift if any at all.

I can 'wild sync' my G70 with a DAW set to the same tempo, and it won't drift noticeably at all for most of the entire song. Definitely not a problem 16 or 32 bars at a time...

Ketron and Lionstracs are on the right path, but you need to have as simple a means of editing those sliced loops as you do the MIDI components of a style for it to be embraced by the arranger community. In the meantime, as long as you are carefull editing your MP3's so that they are tight to a grid (in whole beat values, as arrangers don't do fractional tempos like 123.75 bpm), there's a LOT you can do with a feature like Multipad triggered audio files...

(Wish my Roland had it!)

#318120 - 03/02/11 05:37 PM Re: Tyros 4 Demo: Vocal Sample Playback via MultiPad [Re: Scottyee]
Dnj Offline

Way back when the G70 was released mp3's were still in their infancy.

#318126 - 03/02/11 06:01 PM Re: Tyros 4 Demo: Vocal Sample Playback via MultiPad [Re: Scottyee]
Diki Offline

And we got to the gig in buggies with horses, too! Uphill... BOTH ways.

And you tell that to the kids today, and they doooon't believe you! violin

BTW, MP3's invented in 1987, G70 in 2005. Close, but no cigar!
smoke

#318127 - 03/02/11 06:05 PM Re: Tyros 4 Demo: Vocal Sample Playback via MultiPad [Re: Diki]
Dnj Offline

Yea 6 years ago in technolgy years is a LIFETIME!

#318129 - 03/02/11 06:08 PM Re: Tyros 4 Demo: Vocal Sample Playback via MultiPad [Re: Scottyee]
Diki Offline

Yep... you'd think someone would have brought out something better by now!

Still waiting... juggle

#318132 - 03/02/11 06:13 PM Re: Tyros 4 Demo: Vocal Sample Playback via MultiPad [Re: Diki]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: Diki
Yep... you'd think someone would have brought out something better by now!

Still waiting... juggle

Just keep waiting one of these years .....I am wink

#318147 - 03/02/11 07:24 PM Re: Tyros 4 Demo: Vocal Sample Playback via MultiPad [Re: Scottyee]
leeboy Offline

My God...what is a senior tea dance?

#318148 - 03/02/11 07:29 PM Re: Tyros 4 Demo: Vocal Sample Playback via MultiPad [Re: Scottyee]
leeboy Offline

Same guy...cool song..
No problem keeping in time:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfFP96dc0rQ&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

I think it's pretty cool.

So, I have a question, how would you get just the vocals like this from a song recording?
Leaving out the other music in the background.

#318150 - 03/02/11 08:23 PM Re: Tyros 4 Demo: Vocal Sample Playback via MultiPad [Re: Diki]
Tony Hughes Offline

Diki,

That Roland of yours, is it petrol or diesel. Why don't we sell the KBs and just buy 45s and a turntable, sit back listen and drink the wine!

Regards

Tony
Tyros 4/Pair SR 350/ PC with a i8 intel chip, XENYX 802, Ford Focus 2 litre/Tascam DR07/Brother printer/Designjet 500/ our Doris/5 Grandchildren/ white boxers short Kymart shipped over and Typhoo Tea Earl Grey

#318153 - 03/02/11 10:00 PM Re: Tyros 4 Demo: Vocal Sample Playback via MultiPad [Re: Scottyee]
mdorantes Offline

Loc: Queretaro, Mexico
Hi everyone....

I do use this same technical feature, I need to clear something... the Tyros 4 plays MP3s, BUT, is not how this feature works, it actually does with the real wave.

I will describe the steps I use for MY own particular needs, that may not be the case for somebody else, said that, here it is: I usually have an idea of what I want to do, and what style, voices, etc.....sometimes I make a registration for that....even before I make the samples.

First to choose the right vocal sample, I prefer a vocal (that is more at front) that has the least amount of instrumentation/orchestration possible.
Then, assuming I have that song by "X" singer, I load it into my Audio Software Audiology, Sound Forge, etc.....then proceed to select the part I want, I use only a few seconds, 8-16 bars, is like everything, if you over do it, is not good, like to much salt to a dish.
To resolve some timing issues, in most Audio software allows you to change the tempo without changing the pitch. I use this because sometimes the "singer" sings X song a little to slow, so, I can change that, in dances sometimes some ballads can be a little to slow...assuming that I cut and save my sample that I will use.....then I export that sample to my USB drive then in the T4, I first load the sound to the Expansion voice bank, when is already there, then I make the user Pad, it takes a little patience to do it, I do love the results, and so is my audience.
If anybody is interested in more detail how to do it, please, email me, it may take me a little time to reply since I am juggling gigs and currently I am busy dissecting some of the Musikant styles that I want to use(lots), and is time consuming, but, I will be happy and so my audience too.
Cheers from Phoenix AZ.

#318154 - 03/02/11 10:01 PM Re: Tyros 4 Demo: Vocal Sample Playback via MultiPad [Re: Scottyee]
mdorantes Offline

Loc: Queretaro, Mexico
I forgot.....Scoot, here it is....above.

#318166 - 03/03/11 01:32 AM Re: Tyros 4 Demo: Vocal Sample Playback via MultiPad [Re: Diki]
Wis Offline

It sounds good but what is the loading time after "Power On "?

#318180 - 03/03/11 08:32 AM Software for Converting Wav Files to Uvn format [Re: mdorantes]
Scottyee Offline

Originally Posted By: Wis
It sounds good but what is the loading time after "Power On "?
After initially loaded, samples remain in flash memory and do not go away when the keyboard is turned off.
Memory expansion module boot up time after "power on" is typically only few secs - minute max.

****************************************************************************************************************************

Originally Posted By: mdorantes
I need to clear something... the Tyros 4 plays MP3s, BUT, is not how this feature works, it actually does with the real wave.
Manuel, you're right. My bad.
Mp3 files can only be played back in the 'audio recorder/player' and not from the MultiPad (1-4) buttons.
On the other hand, the MultiPad (1-4) buttons will trigger and play wav type "UVN Files" stored in the Tyros 4's optional add on expansion 'flash' memory.

Originally Posted By: mdorantes
I export that sample to my USB drive. then in the T4, I first load the sound to the Expansion voice bank, when is already there, then I make the user Pad

To my knowledge,
Tyros 4's expansion 'flash' memory only supports UVN format audio files,
so I assume (on your PC), you first had to convert your trimmed WAV file to UVN format,
and then copy that UVN file onto your USB stick for loading into T4's expansion flash memory, right?

If this is the case, what PC software did you use and/or recommend to convert the trimmed Wav file to UVN format?

'Yamaha Tyros4 Voice Editor'?
'Extreme Sample Converter'?

Recommendations and input from others greatly appreciated as well.

Thanks. Scott smile

#318201 - 03/03/11 12:16 PM Re: Tyros 4 Demo: Vocal Sample Playback via MultiPad [Re: Scottyee]
Diki Offline

Tony, drinking the wine is what gets us buying those modern arrangers in the first place! How was your foray into the 21st century..? That Audya may have been cutting edge, but you've got to be careful handling sharp objects! There's no mistake when it's often called the 'bleeding edge'!

Got that MS yet? rotf2

#318205 - 03/03/11 12:33 PM Re: Tyros 4 Demo: Vocal Sample Playback via MultiPad [Re: Scottyee]
Scottyee Offline

IMPORTANT FOLLOWUP:

I just received a telephone call from Manuel Dorantes to answer my above questions. smile
Unbeknownst to me previously, as I've been unable to find this topic covered in the Tyros 4 Manual,
I've now learned (from Manuel cool ) that no prior PC conversion (from Wav to UVN) is necessary,
and that you can directly IMPORT a 'WAV' file into the Tyros 4 expansion 'flash' memory,
with the Wav to UVN conversion performed automatically within Tyros 4 itself while importing.

Here's how:

On The Tyros 4 Keyboard: Voice Creator Button > Expansion Module (E button) > Import Wav (H button)

When the Wav file is imported, it's automatically converted to UVN by the Tyros 4 keyboard itself, and then stored in expansion module flash memory.
Many thanks Manuel for that informative call. smile
I'm really looking forward to exploring this cool feature now. cool

#318206 - 03/03/11 12:36 PM Re: Tyros 4 Demo: Vocal Sample Playback via MultiPad [Re: Scottyee]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Originally Posted By: Scottyee
IMPORTANT FOLLOWUP:

When the Wav file is imported, it's automatically converted to UVN by the Tyros 4 keyboard itself, and then stored in expansion module flash memory.
Many thanks Manuel for that informative call. smile
I'm really looking forward to exploring this cool feature now. cool

Fantastic news, Scott...I'll pass it around.

Ian

#318211 - 03/03/11 12:55 PM Re: Tyros 4 Demo: Vocal Sample Playback via MultiPad [Re: Diki]
Tony Hughes Offline

Originally Posted By: Diki
Tony, drinking the wine is what gets us buying those modern arrangers in the first place! How was your foray into the 21st century..? That Audya may have been cutting edge, but you've got to be careful handling sharp objects! There's no mistake when it's often called the 'bleeding edge'!

Got that MS yet? rotf2

Diki,

I not had a drink for the passed 7 years, hells how did I get talked into buying the Audya.

Cheers
Tyros 4/Pair SR 350/ PC with a i8 intel chip, XENYX 802, Ford Focus 2 litre/Tascam DR07/Brother printer/Designjet 500/ our Doris/5 Grandchildren/ white boxers short Kymart shipped over and Typhoo Tea Earl Grey

#318221 - 03/03/11 01:46 PM Re: Tyros 4 Demo: Vocal Sample Playback via MultiPad [Re: Tony Hughes]
Diki Offline

Originally Posted By: Tony Hughes
how did I get talked into buying the Audya..?

By listening to those of us here more concerned about specs than actual practical usage... stop

Of which, the 'open' arranger faction is the most vocal group..!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online